Will Power/Ability based resistances being affected by AAR?

GHOST12339GHOST12339 Member Posts: 12
I've noticed a couple times that will power healing and resistances (not immunity) has been affected/turned off by ability accuracy reduction over the past couple weeks, and I can't remember that having happened in the past.

Namely, using a metal champion against magneto (guilly) my will power did not activate while using suicides, and I've had my Diablo taking poison damage during aq while on a "strength in numbers" node (map 7, variant 3, section 3 path 1).

I find it hard to believe I've never noticed these things before, and all of a sudden have picked up that it was occurring.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it an issue/bug? Intended? Etc.

Please and thank you.

Comments

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,876 ★★★★★
    Exactly.

Your Willpower did activate against Magneto.

Unfortunately, it activated at -105%, which is why you were losing health every tick for the entire fight.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,402 Guardian

I've noticed a couple times that will power healing and resistances (not immunity) has been affected/turned off by ability accuracy reduction over the past couple weeks, and I can't remember that having happened in the past.

Namely, using a metal champion against magneto (guilly) my will power did not activate while using suicides, and I've had my Diablo taking poison damage during aq while on a "strength in numbers" node (map 7, variant 3, section 3 path 1).

I find it hard to believe I've never noticed these things before, and all of a sudden have picked up that it was occurring.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it an issue/bug? Intended? Etc.

Please and thank you.

As others have pointed out, Magento reverses healing for #metal champs, so you did not see Willpower fail, you saw Willpower deal damage. This is intended.

Ability accuracy reduction reduces ability accuracy. Whenever you see "ability accuracy" think "chance to trigger." AAR reduces chance to trigger. AAR can only affect things that actually trigger something. If a champ is resistant to bleed, the resistance doesn't trigger in response to bleed. The resistance is on all the time. Nothing has to happen for the resistance to reduce the bleed damage, so reduced ability accuracy does nothing.

Willpower as far as I'm aware is unaffected by ability accuracy, and its heals are not considered an ability activation. It is, for all intents and purposes, always on. Resistance buffs and other passive effects can be affected by ability accuracy reduction. They can fail to trigger, and thus fail to provide their resistance benefits. Passive ability resistances are considered turned on before the start of the fight, before any AAR can affect them.

Note: Passive ability resistances are those that are granted by Passive abilities, which are defined as abilities that are always on. This is different from Passive effects which are effects that are flagged as passive effects to distinguish them from buffs and debuffs. For example, Colossus' immunities are conferred by a Passive Ability: they are always on. Colossus' Fury effects on heavy attack are Passive Effects: they are temporary effects that have been given the passive label. Passive Abilities and Passive Effects are two completely different unrelated things.
  • GHOST12339GHOST12339 Member Posts: 12

Exactly.

Unfortunately, it activated at -105%, which is why you were losing health every tick for the entire fight.

I'm not sure this is accurate, if only for the reason that I wasn't taking damage, and my salve mastery was still in effect.

But thank you for the response all the same.
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Member Posts: 934 ★★★★

Exactly.

I'm not sure this is accurate, if only for the reason that I wasn't taking damage, and my salve mastery was still in effect.

I guess you have at least 2 points in recovery, so your regen rate wasn't below 0, but either 5% or 10% (depending on recovery points). What looked like salve to you was likely the tiny bit of willpower that got through Mags' regen reduction
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,876 ★★★★★

Exactly.

Sorry, not all the time - but any time you will have had a debuff on you.

Magnetism itself is a passive effect, so doesn't trigger Willpower.

Try Magneto out in Arena or War against a #Metal opponent - if the opponent has Willpower, and most do, then any time you parry-stun them, you'll see constant ticks of negative 'healing'.