Question about AW Tier and Multiplier Calculation

thanks4playingthanks4playing Member Posts: 805 ★★★
We've been stuck in tier 4 AW for awhile, but we feel very close to tier 3. For instance, we have never lost more than one war in a row and have had some winning streaks but still at tier 4.

Earlier this season, we were matched with a lesser alliance, and the war room said (as indicated in the screenshot): tier 5 but the tier 4 multiplier (4.5 instead of 4.0). So we interpreted that as still getting the benefit of a multiplier of 4.5 whether we win or lose.

We ended up winning the war, but we only got the 4.0 multiplier (see other screenshot). I contacted Kabam support and they are ensuring us that having the 4.0 multiplier is correct despite the screenshot indicating a 4.5 multiplier. I asked a few follow up questions, but they insist that the calculations are correct.

I am confused and would love insight from those of you who are knowledgeable/experienced in this. Why would the screenshot indicate 4.5 multiplier if we are only getting the 4.0 multiplier? And how can we dip to tier 5 so quickly after only losing one war (we had won 2 wars in a row before that loss and our war rating has always hovered in the ~2300)?

Any. insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• thanks4playingthanks4playing Member Posts: 805 ★★★

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,423 Guardian
    I don't know the nitty gritty specifics, but it has been known for a long time that when an alliance matches with an alliance with a different tier, sometimes you get the multiplier associated with the tier of the other alliance. I cannot proscribe the precise logic of the system, I just know it happens, and it has been happening since forever.

As to war tiers, the tiers are not defined explicitly by war rating, they are defined by your percentage ranking among all other alliances. In other words, if your rating stays exactly the same but everyone below you wins, you will drop in tier. Conversely, if everyone above you quits, you would become a tier 1 alliance. Because tier is based on your relative position among other alliances, your rating itself only loosely defines your tier.

Basically, your tier is not just affected by your own war rating, but also by the alliances nearby. It is like a track and field runner who runs his best race ever but still comes in fifth place because all his competitors ran even faster that day.
    DNA3000 said:

I don't know the nitty gritty specifics, but it has been known for a long time that when an alliance matches with an alliance with a different tier, sometimes you get the multiplier associated with the tier of the other alliance. I cannot proscribe the precise logic of the system, I just know it happens, and it has been happening since forever.

As to war tiers, the tiers are not defined explicitly by war rating, they are defined by your percentage ranking among all other alliances. In other words, if your rating stays exactly the same but everyone below you wins, you will drop in tier. Conversely, if everyone above you quits, you would become a tier 1 alliance. Because tier is based on your relative position among other alliances, your rating itself only loosely defines your tier.

Basically, your tier is not just affected by your own war rating, but also by the alliances nearby. It is like a track and field runner who runs his best race ever but still comes in fifth place because all his competitors ran even faster that day.

Thank you for your response.

I know you said that you didn't know the precise specifics, but based on the screenshot, shouldn't our score have been multiplied by the multiplier in the screenshot? I would understand if the multiplier had question marks or was blank, but it explicitly displays 4.5, not 4.0.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Member Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Adding to this, if enough alliances below you dissolve, your relative position also drops which can technically result in you dropping a tier. Also note that wins and losses are not equal. The points you gain/lose are affected by the quality of the alliance you face. All of this in combination can affect you being in a certain tier one day and a different one the next even if you feel like you haven't really moved.
    K00shMaan said:

DNA3000 said:

Adding to this, if enough alliances below you dissolve, your relative position also drops which can technically result in you dropping a tier. Also note that wins and losses are not equal. The points you gain/lose are affected by the quality of the alliance you face. All of this in combination can affect you being in a certain tier one day and a different one the next even if you feel like you haven't really moved.
    Just to clarify, when we talk about "tier" we generally refer to war (rating) tier. However, sometimes Kabam adds confusion by talking about "season tier." Technically speaking, they mean season bracket. Points affect your season points and thus your bracket, pure wins and losses affect your war rating and thus your tier. Many players confuse the two, and it is important to keep them separate.

DNA3000 said:

Thank you for your response.

I know you said that you didn't know the precise specifics, but based on the screenshot, shouldn't our score have been multiplied by the multiplier in the screenshot? I would understand if the multiplier had question marks or was blank, but it explicitly displays 4.5, not 4.0.
    The war room shows tier 5, 4.5 multiplier. But the war results panel shows tier 5, 4.0 multiplier. I don't know why the war room shows a 4.5 multiplier, but the war results panel is generally more consistent with the actual scoring, and it does show the correct multiplier for a tier 5 war. I suspect the war room numbers are due to tier shifting that the war room software doesn't correctly account for, but the war results panel does.

It may have something to do with the fact that tiers have to be recalculated after every war across all alliances (because they are percentage based, not numerically based) and there might be some sort of race condition in that displayed value. Meaning the code is referencing a stale number before tiers were recalculated, and the two are slightly out of sync. But the war results panel is using the numbers being used for scoring calculations directly and are more accurate.
  • JadedJaded Member Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★
    Your war rating is still a bit off from tier 3, 300-400 more points to reach tier 3.
  • CrusaderjrCrusaderjr Member Posts: 1,059 ★★★★
    its the 93 unread messages for me :D an the 46 profile icons LUL
  • JadedJaded Member Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★

OCD strong with this one 😂 (I couldn’t let them sit there either)
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Member Posts: 4,498 ★★★★★
    Jaded said:

Your war rating is still a bit off from tier 3, 300-400 more points to reach tier 3.

2700 should be t2 or so
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Member Posts: 4,824 ★★★★★
    edited March 2022
    Simple explanation

The Tier mentioned in this image is determined by the Percentage.
    You can check this by tapping the (i) icon beside Tier.
    As you are in top 2-3%. You are in tier-4,which is correct.
    But the alliance you are facing is definitely Tier-5.

You matched an alliance from a different tier.
    100 points difference looks right.
    Now when An alliance match An alliance from Different Tier, the game coin flips and chose a default tier for the current war.
    You were playing tier 5 wars, and that's why you got tier 5 multiplier.
  • CrusaderjrCrusaderjr Member Posts: 1,059 ★★★★
    Jaded said:

OCD strong with this one 😂 (I couldn’t let them sit there either)
    its sad but its true :'(

Simple explanation

You were playing tier 5 wars, and that's why you got tier 5 multiplier.

Thank you for this. So you're saying that b/c the alliance that we matched against is t5, so we got the t5 multiplier.

But that still doesn't explain why it even display the 4.5 multiplier. If it were the t5 multiplier, then it should say 4.0 or if it needs to flip a coin, then why not just leave it blank?

I'm really trying to understand the situation, but I can't find a logical explanation as to why it would indicate 4.5 multiplier (before the war even began), but multiply our score by 4.0 instead.

Seems like a description bug.
    But I think you get that, even with the visual bug, you were given the correct point multiplier you played the war in.

It confuses a lot of players and we see these same posts every season. And at the end of the day the only thing matters is the points, which are awarded correctly.
  • Strangecraft069Strangecraft069 Member Posts: 183
    Hey just wanted to know for sure, during off season the tier multiplier doesn't gets changed right? (Winning or losing)

Hey just wanted to know for sure, during off season the tier multiplier doesn't gets changed right? (Winning or losing)

For Tier 1-5, war rating is locked during off season.