**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why will the Arabic language be deleted?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Zan0 said:

Crine60 said:

ItsDamien said:

Translation does not come cheap, I know this because I’ve worked in games translation. The amount of work to support right to left text and then to have it translated every single month is extremely costly and while that may seem unfair, that’s business. These translations aren’t done in house by a team at Kabam, I can almost guarantee you that, but have to be outsourced to a third party localisation team who happens to have an Arabic member actively working in that company, which again is rare for game translation companies to have (neither of the two I’ve worked for had a single Arabic translator).

I am confused by Kabam posting about and you referring to the work/cost of doing right to left text. I completely understand the fact that it costs extra to have everything translated to any other language but what does the direction the text is read in matter? If you make all the text appear at once is it any different than just typing the text backwards so that it can be read from right to left? Honestly interested in understanding why the direction is a big factor as opposed to just the cost of an Arabic translator.
    It’s not just text, the entire game is backwards

Can't tell if u have 921 units or 129 units 🧐
    While text is written right to left, numbers are still read left to right. So it's 921. Makes sense I guess since we all use the numerals that way
  • Options
    DrDrillDrDrill Posts: 163 ★★★
    edited March 2022

Zan0 said:

Crine60 said:

ItsDamien said:

Translation does not come cheap, I know this because I’ve worked in games translation. The amount of work to support right to left text and then to have it translated every single month is extremely costly and while that may seem unfair, that’s business. These translations aren’t done in house by a team at Kabam, I can almost guarantee you that, but have to be outsourced to a third party localisation team who happens to have an Arabic member actively working in that company, which again is rare for game translation companies to have (neither of the two I’ve worked for had a single Arabic translator).

I am confused by Kabam posting about and you referring to the work/cost of doing right to left text. I completely understand the fact that it costs extra to have everything translated to any other language but what does the direction the text is read in matter? If you make all the text appear at once is it any different than just typing the text backwards so that it can be read from right to left? Honestly interested in understanding why the direction is a big factor as opposed to just the cost of an Arabic translator.

FYI,
    these numbers:
    are called Arabic numbers ;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals
  • Options
    s3d5aleds3d5aled Posts: 3
    I know so many Arabians who spent a lot of money and time on MCOC and they don’t even know how to write comments here or express themselves to KABAM
    They are going to ask for refunds from Apple/Google cuz they know no English and they won’t be able to understand this game when Arabic transition get removed.. I really hope KABAM reconsider their decision
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    I feel like Kabam was pretty clear why they are doing this. Basic business decisions include maximizing profit. The cost of providing this didn't make financial sense so they are discontinuing it.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

DrDrill said:

Zan0 said:

Crine60 said:

ItsDamien said:

FYI,
    these numbers:
    are called Arabic numbers ;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals
    Reminds me of a poll that found 56% of Americans didn’t want Arabic numbers taught in school…

Ya lol. Most people don't even know what they hate
  • Options
    DrDrillDrDrill Posts: 163 ★★★

Although Kabam is known for making bad & uncalculated decisions, I don't think this is one of them.
    Probably the group of Arab players is just too small to continue going through the hassle.

I think there are a large amount of Arabs playing this game, but more than 70% of them uses English since it's much easier to understand than the low quality translation of the game, I tried it, then immediately returned it back to English.
  • Options
    Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Posts: 766 ★★★
    I'm going to show both my ignorance here as well as possibly others... but there are many languages that are right to left. Other examples of "popular" languages include Hebrew and Kurdish, along with several others (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-left_script) . If any of these languages were being left in the game... while Arabic was being taken out... then all the moral outrage would be justified, and I'd be jumping right on board.

But I could just as easily questions why other languages that are right to left weren't originally included in the game, or question languages that go top to bottom, such as many languages associated with the far east. Is coding for those any easier?

This form for example in settings only allow for 4 languages (English, Spanish, French, and Dutch)... yet it has more official news, documentation ,etc. about the game than the game has... so are we going to thus restrict the game to just these 4 languages?

None of this comes with an easy answer. I for one think if the number is small enough, given the obvious shortage of staff to tackle roadmap items and keep the game stable... if cutting a language that effects very few players... then it might be justifiably necessary, although I would have written in some kind of "we will look in the future to revamping our systems to allow for this in the next major overhaul" kind of language.