**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Ultron Vs Nimrod

ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
edited March 2022 in Strategy and Tips
Just pulled them both as 6 stars and I’d like to know who you guys would rank up as a priority.
I don’t know much about either one but I hear that Ultron is good for Kang.

Ultron Vs Nimrod 108 votes

Ultron
45%
Ace_03zuffyPsychoakumaTeddersStfckr1greatbeardCropDusterNojokejaymStagedear85B_Dizzle_01Reaper2823Rockyshockyspiderbites0196IvarTheBonelessSnakepMiStaLovadump_monkeyWhoDaPooArifuteraPdogg614 49 votes
Nimrod
54%
GamerDarthVadidSpity68KDoggg2017SpeedbumpphillgreenTerraWorknprogressBrokenpseudosaneWicket329MaxtheSilentLiquidkold10or_StrongTheLegend27Colinwhitworth69RockypantherxEtjamaMobile_P0tat0DarkEternity 59 votes
Post edited by Kabam Habanero on

Comments

• The_HoTUThe_HoTU Posts: 445 ★★
    Ultron
    Ultron is 2nd best tech
  • SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    Nimrod
    The_HoTU said:

Ultron is 2nd best tech

But he doesn’t wanna join my roster 😭
  • SnakepSnakep Posts: 362 ★★★
    Ultron
    I would say this depends on your roster. Nimrod destroys mutants, do you need someone that does that? If so then I’d go Nimrod. Outside of mutant fights I’d give the nod to Ultron. And against mutants, ultron is no slouch.
  • Noise72Noise72 Posts: 337 ★★★
    Nimrod
    Nimrod is the better mutant counter (except Bishop). But both are great and you should rank them both at some point.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
    Wicket329 said:

People really sleep on Nimrod outside of mutant matchups. He’s still an absolute monster, his rampup is just a little longer.

I use him everywhere, he’s a monster. And he can just soak up damage like nobody’s business, so he’s a very forgiving champion to play.

What’s the best way to play him?
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Posts: 2,389 ★★★★★
    Nimrod
    The_HoTU said:

Ultron is 2nd best tech

it's nimrod
  • DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
    Nimrod
    My newest R3 Sig 200 is Nimrod and I’ve fallen absolutely in love with him. While I love Ultron and used him a ton in act 7, Nimrod is such an absolute beast if you’re looking for someone who can deal a huge amount of damage without debuffs and can counter mutants, regen and prowess like Torch counters mystics and energy damage. If you need a more general use champion, Ultron will definitely be a bit better. Overall, though, I’d rank Nimrod.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
    Wicket329 said:

Graves_3 said:

Wicket329 said:

People really sleep on Nimrod outside of mutant matchups. He’s still an absolute monster, his rampup is just a little longer.

I use him everywhere, he’s a monster. And he can just soak up damage like nobody’s business, so he’s a very forgiving champion to play.

What’s the best way to play him?
    Build up your protocol charges by staying in his defensive stance and parrying as much as possible. This will build up both your charges and your armor stacks. When I start fights, I usually just parry MLM, then dash back. When you transfer to Blitz protocol, use a light combo ender to go back to Titan. Rinse/repeat until at 10 charges.

Once at 10 charges, build up to just below 3 bars of power and fire off the sp2 for the big damage. You’ll be in Eradicator protocol at this point. If you are duped, fire off the sp1 to give yourself a meaningful energize buff and the opponent a big passive energy vulnerability. If unduped, then just go straight for the sp2 again to try to get it before Eradicator expires.

In some matchups, you’ll be able to maintain Eradicator pretty easily. These are most mutants, any champ or node that consistently triggers regen or prowess, or fights against stun immune or shrugging champions. That last one is really only if you’re good at reparrying, which is a good skill to pick up.
    Thanks buddy!! Much appreciated.
  • Lone_Leao_1Lone_Leao_1 Posts: 18
    Nimrod
    Both amazing champs but Nimrod get the nod for me. A tank of a champion that can be used against any class.
  • ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    Thanks all for the answers. I think I’m going to star with Ultron because I need a good suicides friendly option for Kang, but Nimrod will follow shortly.
  • IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,240 ★★★★
    Ultron
    In my opinion ultron also destroys mutants AND counters bishop if awakened (higher sig the better) so good choice! I'm not arguing that ultron is better than Nimrod, since nimrod is appearently a torch like counter to mutants, regen and prowess. But since ultron awakened also counters bishop and nimrod doesn't there's a place for both of them in the contest.
  • NoobdaNoobda Posts: 787 ★★★
    edited March 2022
    Nimrod
    Wicket329 said:

I don't like anyone who sleeps on a metallic cluster like nimrod. Better sleep on the concrete floor than sleeping on Nimrod which is gonna hurt more @Wicket329
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,995 ★★★★★
    Nimrod
    Noobda said:

Wicket329 said:

I don't like anyone who sleeps on a metallic cluster like nimrod. Better sleep on the concrete floor than sleeping on Nimrod which is gonna hurt more @Wicket329
    Nah, all those adaptive materials he’s made out of actually make his outsides very soft. That’s why he’s basically the StayPuft Marshmallow Man.
  • PowerOfACandlePowerOfACandle Posts: 334 ★★★
    Ultron
    Nimrod is the 2nd best tech champion in the game go rank him up! (Best tech is Psychoman!)
  • NoobdaNoobda Posts: 787 ★★★
    Nimrod
    Wicket329 said:

Noobda said:

Wicket329 said:

Nah, all those adaptive materials he’s made out of actually make his outsides very soft. That’s why he’s basically the StayPuft Marshmallow Man.

You seem experienced. Seems like you yourself sleep on Nimrod lmao
  • VlajkoKVlajkoK Posts: 77
    Wicket329 said:

Can you folks please, please help me, I am seriously considering using a generic 6* gem on Nimrod instead of Nick Fury.
    Am I crazy? I know most will think so, but I fell in love with how stupidly easy it is killing Apoc bosses in aw now I have the big guy, and that is at r2 unduped. Does awakening him makes a huge difference?
    I am mostly ftp currently at 7.2.1, and 6* gems are for me veeery hard to get, so I have to really think twice.
    I have 6* monkey at r3, he deals huge damage when I need a bleeder, also (for my level at least) still usable 5* maxed Falcon and NF.
    Would awakened r3 NF be soooo much better than 5* r5 one to make a logical move and give a gem to him?
    Thank you all in advance!
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    @VlajkoK

Use it on Nick. I love Nimrod, but Nick benefits so much from awakening.

Dr. Zola
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,832 ★★★★★
    @Wicket329 @DarkEternity if Nimrod can already stop an entire class (or regen/prowess) then isnt the r4 kind of overkill ? Wouldn’t it be more of a prestige move if he can already shut them down at r3.

Sure it might make him able to handle non mutants better , but regardless, I feel like Ghost and/or Ultron would benefit more from the r4
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,677 ★★★★★
    Nimrod
    I would, and did use it on Nick.

Nimrod is a mad mutant counter, more prowess more shocks. The mutant class is stocked with one shot killers and Ultron is good, but not that good.
    Nimrod
    Lucifire said:

Wicket329 said:

Why would anyone want to use nimrod outside of mutant fights, even if the ramp up is "slightly" longer, instead of finishing it in seconds with ultron
    Because Nimrod has utility that Ultron lacks. For example, consider the Sasquatch we saw in Grandmaster’s Gauntlet. Ultron does not have any heal blocking abilities in his base kit. That Sasquatch is not a mutant, but Nimrod will have a far easier time dealing with it than Ultron would.

Additionally, champions like Modok and Sam Wilson who have tricky autoblock mechanics that can be bypassed entirely by Nimrod’s unblockable specials. Or if you need to tank an sp3. Or if you need power control. Or if you need energy damage on basics. Or if you need increased power gain. Or if you need to be unaffected by armor breaks.

There are a million different reasons to choose one good champion over another. There are absolutely times where Ultron makes sense over Nimrod, but to pretend like Nimrod only should be chosen in mutant matchups is incredibly myopic.
    Polygon said:

@Wicket329 @DarkEternity if Nimrod can already stop an entire class (or regen/prowess) then isnt the r4 kind of overkill ? Wouldn’t it be more of a prestige move if he can already shut them down at r3.

Sure it might make him able to handle non mutants better , but regardless, I feel like Ghost and/or Ultron would benefit more from the r4

I mean… non-mutants are 5/6 of the game. That’s not exactly a small thing to brush aside. Rank ups are about two things, primarily: damage and health.

With Nimrod’s inherent defensive abilities, additional health for him goes much further than with most other champions. I have eaten multiple sp3s to the face with my r4 from Act 7 bosses and walked them off just fine.

As for damage, it’s the difference between finishing a fight (depending on health pool size) in one sp2 or two. If the fight isn’t too tricky, then sure, what’s another sp2 matter. But if there are mechanics in place that make it a hard fight to get multiple specials off, or a war fight that you need to close out ASAP before a mistake gets made, that extra damage may save your bacon.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,106 ★★★★
    Unrelated, but who's better on defense and for BGs, nimrod or penny? Have them both as 6* and wondering who to take to r3.
    Nimrod

I would, and did use it on Nick.

Nimrod is a mad mutant counter, more prowess more shocks. The mutant class is stocked with one shot killers and Ultron is good, but not that good.

Yeah, between Nimrod and Nick, I would have also chosen Nick. That awakened ability is just critical for him, whereas Nimrod’s is hugely helpful but not strictly necessary.
    Nimrod
    Lucifire said:

Wicket329 said:

Lucifire said:

Wicket329 said:

Why would anyone want to use nimrod outside of mutant fights, even if the ramp up is "slightly" longer, instead of finishing it in seconds with ultron
    Because Nimrod has utility that Ultron lacks. For example, consider the Sasquatch we saw in Grandmaster’s Gauntlet. Ultron does not have any heal blocking abilities in his base kit. That Sasquatch is not a mutant, but Nimrod will have a far easier time dealing with it than Ultron would.

Additionally, champions like Modok and Sam Wilson who have tricky autoblock mechanics that can be bypassed entirely by Nimrod’s unblockable specials. Or if you need to tank an sp3. Or if you need power control. Or if you need energy damage on basics. Or if you need increased power gain. Or if you need to be unaffected by armor breaks.

There are a million different reasons to choose one good champion over another. There are absolutely times where Ultron makes sense over Nimrod, but to pretend like Nimrod only should be chosen in mutant matchups is incredibly myopic.
    Polygon said:

I mean… non-mutants are 5/6 of the game. That’s not exactly a small thing to brush aside. Rank ups are about two things, primarily: damage and health.

With Nimrod’s inherent defensive abilities, additional health for him goes much further than with most other champions. I have eaten multiple sp3s to the face with my r4 from Act 7 bosses and walked them off just fine.

As for damage, it’s the difference between finishing a fight (depending on health pool size) in one sp2 or two. If the fight isn’t too tricky, then sure, what’s another sp2 matter. But if there are mechanics in place that make it a hard fight to get multiple specials off, or a war fight that you need to close out ASAP before a mistake gets made, that extra damage may save your bacon.
    But I don't get why you'd choose to use nimrod against someone who autoblocks lol. In that sense, even HB would work since he is a parry heavy champ with unblockable special attacks? As for heal block, you would ideally want to run Ultron with HB. The synergy not only boosts the damage but also gives him a passive heal block. I do admit that Nimrod deals with regen better than Ultron does, but again, that's quite specific, not general. Also, armor breaks aren't an issue for Ultron either. Just parry to gain armor ups. Ultron also has more general utility that's much more effective than Nimrod's. Easy access to bleeds/degen, double regen without having to throw any special attacks + the ability to block energy attacks for days. He also has multiple immunities and nigh-immunities
    The question was why a player might want to choose Nimrod in a non-Mutant matchup rather than Ultron, so I gave examples of matchups that Nimrod would perform better in than Ultron would. Hulkbuster is also a good tech champion who is useful for autoblock matchups, but he wasn’t a part of the analysis. That being said, Nimrod’s sp2 hits like an absolute freight train. It melts massive health pools and scales up better with the rank up than most due to the way the armor ups interact with his damage and his ability to apply energy vulnerability to the opponent.

Ultron and Nimrod have *very* different armor mechanics. Ultron can easily gain armor ups via parry. Nimrod does the same *but also* gains them passively over time and cannot have his removed by armor breaks. Additionally, enemy armor break potency is reduced by 100%. Consider a (not good for either champion) matchup against Knull. Knull’s Living Abyss will remove armors from both champions, and assuming he applies his Corruption, both will have potentially massive stacks of armor break applied to them. This will dramatically increase Knull’s damage against Ultron, but will do nothing to Nimrod. He’ll still just be normal, tanky Nimrod. Obviously a niche piece, but it’s the rare and wonky pieces of utility that are among the most valuable in this game.

Don’t get me wrong, Ultron is a banger of a champion after his buff. I don’t mean to knock him. There are absolutely circumstances where Ultron will beat out Nimrod, but there are also non-mutant situations in which Nimrod is the better option. That’s all I’m trying to show.