**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Is This Considered Battlegrounds "Cheating" or Not?

Comments

• Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,916 ★★★★★
    edited September 2022

So I've been playing battlegrounds since it came out and reached the Silver 2 bracket yesterday, but since then I haven't won a single match due to people using squads of half 1 Star Champs and half 6 Star r3 champs (Keep in mind I am still Uncollected and have only played people with squads as powerful as my own or a bit better prior). I don't know if what these people are doing is considered cheating, due to their profile saying they are Thronebreaker or Paragon and the fact that they are competing against Uncollected and Cavalier players. After finding this info I just wanted to ask the community on what their thoughts on this were.

Shouldn't those players who can beat you with only half a roster be at a higher tier than you?
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Gotta say it's pretty hilarious to see so many people who complain about cheating in arenas and in other areas of the game so quick to try to exploit something like this. Not sure why they feel it's all that different of a situation. If your rationale is "if Kabam won't do anything about it then I'm going to take advantage of it", how's that any different than all the other cheating/exploitation people complain constantly about?

What do you mean? I've honestly seen virtually zero people complain about sandbagging in arena
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,105 ★★★★

Gotta say it's pretty hilarious to see so many people who complain about cheating in arenas and in other areas of the game so quick to try to exploit something like this. Not sure why they feel it's all that different of a situation. If your rationale is "if Kabam won't do anything about it then I'm going to take advantage of it", how's that any different than all the other cheating/exploitation people complain constantly about?

What do you mean? I've honestly seen virtually zero people complain about sandbagging in arena
    Agreed. And past a certain point, most casual, low milestone play (if you're just going for the first 4 or so) you don't sandbag. I go straight in with 4/55 and 3/45 6* (or 5/50 4* in the lower arena) teams because you get more points for matching full teams of 4/55 at the start, which means less matches to hit the milestones.

Arena rewards fielding stronger teams, so those sandbagging are actually working against themselves; they have to do more fights for the same rewards.

This version of battlegrounds does not even attempt to reward fielding a stronger team. In fact, it rewards fielding a lower strength team.

It's not even remotely close to cheating, but simply a reflection of the incredibly silly design for matchmaking that kabam have implemented.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    An immediate fix would be to just restrict the content to 5* and 6*. No one who is a Paragon, Thronebreaker, Cavalier is going into this content with 4*s. An Uncollected might but we're looking for a quick fix here before a better one. Obviously that still leaves room for sandbagging but it does help mitigate the impact it would have on Deck Rating.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★

Searmenis said:

Why would that impact matchmaking? Shouldn’t everyone who is in the same bracket have an equal chance to match anyone else in that bracket? Why would the roster matter?

Funny thing is you can match someone above or below your current bracket, ally mate did the 2* thing and sent this, plat 3 vs gold 1.

Looks like with their matchmaking if there's no similar rating in current bracket it'll search higher/lower brakcets as well.

And someone said that the same thing happens in arenas for years now. No. In arenas you can get all the milestones. Here you can't.
    It happens really. People use 2x high rated champs and 1x lower one in order to match against someone with a "medium rated" team. So that at leat you have 2x guaranteed victories
    That's not an equal comparison though. If you do this in BG's and win, you get all of the value that anyone else does for winning a match. If you do it in Arena, you get less points from your champions and, in theory, need to play 50% more matches to get near the point total you would have received by playing normally. In Arena, it feels like a genuine alternative path to success. In BGs, it just feels shady af.
  • CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★

Snakep said:

It's pretty much what people have been doing in arena for years.

The difference being that in arenas you are only beating a computer ai with no negative effects to another player. In BG’s doing this beats and discourages an actual person.
    Sandbagging is sandbagging whether it's a real component to the game mode or not. The infinite streak is not an intentional part of arenas. You're sandbagging your arena matches to get easier matches to score higher in the rankings, which is against real people.

Arena is meant to get harder as you go along which is why you get the "death matches" the long your streak is. People sandbag to get around those matches. There isn't any rule against this in arena and there isn't any rule against adding 2*'s to you deck in BG's. People found a way to get easier matchups in BG's and there's nothing in the rules that says it can't be done.

I am not in any way condoning what people are doing in BG's but lets not pretend there hasn't been 1000's of posts in the forums asking how to achieve the infinite streak in arena. So until Kabam can figure out a way to remove that element from BG's, any they very much should, it's not cheating and it's not against the rules.
    I will double up your statement and completely agree
    When Kabam decided to unify the arenas and make changes, they decided to also change the match making process. There was no such thing as an infinite streak anymore.. people using a level 1 r16* were getting death matches even at streak 50+... People got so upset and all hell broke loose.. because they couldn't "Sandbag" arenas anymore.. Kabam went ahead and changed it back to the regular system.

It's funny to see people with such a short focus on some things... A lot of people are complaining about this game mode being a paywalled game mode .. OPEN YOUR EYES, the whole game is behind a paywall.
    1st paywall in Bgs: Roster depth
    2nd paywall in Bgs: Roster development
    3rd paywall in Bgs: Masteries
    And probably many many more...

Just play the game in a healthy way where u understand your own limitations.

I'm wondering how many people did what I did after reading this and immediately log into battlegrounds and changed their BG battle group champs.

The same ammount of people that did it before u complained about it..
    U didnt discover anything really...u complained about it...
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

You don't directly affect someone else's score by doing that in arena

Well, you could say that due to how trash this season of BG ended up being when firstly announced, this could just be considered another Beta.
    Just think that this time, Kabam is purposely testing the matchmaking. So if you decide to use 1/2-stars, you're just testing the game mode and contributing to the beta, in your own way.
    People are complaining about limited entries with marks and then going out of their way to try to potentially screw weaker players out of their limited entries. Some people are hilarious.
    Is like I said. This mode is a mess, so don't take this first season as something serious because it truly isn't.
    To each their own, but for me I don't think pouring gas on a fire is an efficient way of putting it out.

U don't?.. u might make someones whole score effort useless but that doesn't affect it directly?
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Coppin said:

I'm wondering how many people did what I did after reading this and immediately log into battlegrounds and changed their BG battle group champs.

Not sure if you misread what I meant or if it wasn't clear. I didn't claim to discover anything nor am I complaining about anything so your reply makes zero sense.

I'm simply saying that I had no clue this issue existed until I read it here, however, I am admitting to deciding to take advantage of it after finding it out as it doesn't appear to be against any rules.

Coppin said:

Not sure if you misread what I meant or if it wasn't clear. I didn't claim to discover anything nor am I complaining about anything so your reply makes zero sense.

I'm simply saying that I had no clue this issue existed until I read it here, however, I am admitting to deciding to take advantage of it after finding it out as it doesn't appear to be against any rules.
    My bad i thought u were OP
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★

So I've been playing battlegrounds since it came out and reached the Silver 2 bracket yesterday, but since then I haven't won a single match due to people using squads of half 1 Star Champs and half 6 Star r3 champs (Keep in mind I am still Uncollected and have only played people with squads as powerful as my own or a bit better prior). I don't know if what these people are doing is considered cheating, due to their profile saying they are Thronebreaker or Paragon and the fact that they are competing against Uncollected and Cavalier players. After finding this info I just wanted to ask the community on what their thoughts on this were.

Shouldn't those players who can beat you with only half a roster be at a higher tier than you?
    That's what I was also thinking, but, even these people, have to pass through the lower levels. So my guess and hope is, that after, let's say, two weeks, they ll achieve granitum or how it's called, get to the second track, and we can have a few easier fights ourselves...
    Coppin said:

U don't?.. u might make someones whole score effort useless but that doesn't affect it directly?
    That isn't a direct effect, that's indirect. With this you potentially straight up waste someone's mark entry. You can't change what someone scores per round in the arena.
  • TreininTreinin Posts: 215 ★★★
    I don't think this is a "good thing" by any stretch, but ultimately I blame Kabam for making a massively flawed system. By trying to pay wall the top rewards, it makes sense people will try and use whatever method is necessary to get "easy wins" to rack up points, rather than trying to properly compete in this mode.

The top rewards should have been earned by placing as high as possible in the gladiator circuit, with match making based purely on your "rating" and how high you are in that circuit. This would drive people to actually bring their best champions and try to win at the top levels to reach those rewards. Instead they made the rewards for competing garbage, and the rewards for doing tons of fights (and better yet, winning those fights) amazing.

It's a flawed reward structure that is driving this behavior.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★

Coppin said:

That isn't a direct effect, that's indirect. With this you potentially straight up waste someone's mark entry. You can't change what someone scores per round in the arena.
    I used to think the same as you but after being stuck in bronze 3 facing off rosters with multiple shiny r4’s, I was fed up of this mode since every alternate match was a loss. I read this on the forum, used this strategy and have moved now to silver where I am seeing rosters half my level. If they didn’t get matched against easier opponents, how do you think they progressed to that level? It’s a flaw with the matchmaking system and no matter how you try to spin it, it’s not cheating. And if enough people with huge rosters move up the food chain, those in silver/bronze with smaller rosters will eventually get easier matches.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,105 ★★★★
    Thanks @Kabam Jax

Time to push to gold with my mighty 2* moon knight while I still can.

This kind of quirk is what the current open beta testing is for, after all 😁👍
  • Skiddy212Skiddy212 Posts: 1,101 ★★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners,

While this tactic, as discussed here, exists in a bit of a grey area in terms of taking advantage of the system, it does seem like something the game team has under a microscope. It wouldn't surprise me if we see changes in the near future to the way matchmaking weighs different elements.

So it sounds like this is not a ban - able offense...?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Skiddy212 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners,

While this tactic, as discussed here, exists in a bit of a grey area in terms of taking advantage of the system, it does seem like something the game team has under a microscope. It wouldn't surprise me if we see changes in the near future to the way matchmaking weighs different elements.

So it sounds like this is not a ban - able offense...?
    Not really. Tanking wasn't in War either.