**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Huge mastery issue

Tijjy007Tijjy007 Posts: 313 ★★★
Pls correct me if im wrong but:

Kabam have previously said something along the lines of they want to allow us to swap mastery builds (outside of whats in bg) but its difficult to implement. Then why on earth do we have to spend like 80+ units every time we want to change masteries?

Comments

• Options
    Those who arena grind and run suicides, in high tier wars are constantly switching between masteries. I imagine when masteries were implemented years ago this wasnt really a thought and this specific issue with masteries needs a swift update? (I understand masteries have been talked about getting an overhaul/update by kabam)
  • Options
    Denslo500Denslo500 Posts: 903 ★★★
    I think the best mastery change they could make, is to make changes free.

I would open things like Inequity.
    It would make masteries feel updated.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    There are a lot of threads on this issue, and in one thread, @DNA3000 had a great post about the reasons mastery swaps are not free. Search for that.
  • Options
    GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Even if mastery get easy swap builds. Never has it ever been said to become free. Just quicker.
    Unlocking certain masteries like suicide masteries are a choice. The war argument is used most of the time. Running suicides has a lot of benefits. But it also comes with downsides. If you do not want those downsides in certain aspects of the game you either need to throw down units, or need to work around the downsides.
    Having them changable with just one push of a button would be much appreciated thou.
  • Options
    ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    Having to pay to swap masteries is the main reason I don't play battlegrounds. I own the road but for some reason I have to pay toll.
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★

Having to pay to swap masteries is the main reason I don't play battlegrounds. I own the road but for some reason I have to pay toll.

More like u are renting the house and the landlord made the rules...
  • Options
    ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    Coppin said:

More like u are renting the house and the landlord made the rules...
    And one of the rules is that, even though I already paid rent, I have to pay again every time I go to a different room.
  • Options
    @Colinwhitworth69
    People of means, routinely change masteries all the time. The game goes on.

This is a simple change that would make the game fresh and new.

Odds are, the cost of the change would be MUCH less than the cost of developing something like bases, Marvel Realm of Champions, etc.

It would increase revenues due to: increased player curiosity/engagement and purchases (buying Cores to open the "new" masteries)
  • Options
    Denslo500 said:

@Colinwhitworth69
    People of means, routinely change masteries all the time. The game goes on.

This is a simple change that would make the game fresh and new.

Odds are, the cost of the change would be MUCH less than the cost of developing something like bases, Marvel Realm of Champions, etc.

It would increase revenues due to: increased player curiosity/engagement and purchases (buying Cores to open the "new" masteries)

Cost has nothing to do with it. The simple fact is, the fact that you are allowed to change masteries at all is a concession. The intent of masteries is for players to have to decide, between this mastery or that mastery. That's why we very deliberately don't get enough mastery points to turn on more than a subset of them, and why the strongest masteries tend to be locked behind point prerequisites: so we can't use all of our mastery points to turn on the strongest only. We have to choose.

If we could just change them whenever we wanted, we wouldn't have to choose anymore. The choice of masteries would be meaningless. The devs had a chance to make mastery changes free. Instead, they *reduced* the cost of changes so that changing would not be as costly, but still had enough cost to make mastery decisions meaningful. They had a second chance to make them free when Battlegrounds released, but instead of making them free they spent extra time and extra resources to deliberately avoid making them free, by making the modal instead. Which is to say, you still have to choose, and you still have to pay, but once you choose for a particular deck, you don't have to keep choosing that set up (and paying for it) over and over. This preserves the need for players to make a choice, but doesn't penalize them for playing multiple modes of the game that have different mastery requirements.

Yes, the costs land on different players in different ways. If you don't spend, those costs can be relatively high. If you spend enough, those costs can be immaterial. But that's simply the advantage spending offers in general. It doesn't change the nature of the game. If the fact that spenders can do it meant that everyone should just be allowed to do it as well, we'd all be getting hundreds of Cav crystals for free as well.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    If we’re being honest with ourselves, Kabam has to be able to monetize parts of the game. Otherwise the game wouldn’t exist, at least not like it does now. Instead it would be Angry Birds, and you would’ve finished playing it years ago.
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    It would be nice if mastery changes were free occasionally so that we could test different builds. Maybe during war off season. I don't think people should be able to easily place defenders in war without suicides and then run suicides for their attackers, or turn them off and on multiple times in a quest path. Honestly, why should you even be able to have different masteries for your attackers and defenders? If mastery changes were free but they locked when you placed your defenders until the war was over and when you entered a quest until you exit the quest that would be interesting.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    Denslo500 said:

I think the best mastery change they could make, is to make changes free.

I would open things like Inequity.
    It would make masteries feel updated.

People always say stuff like this and never think it through. You wanna have everyone run suicides in war and defenders equipped with stuff like unfazed? No thanks.

I do wish you could pull your points off a single tree versus having to reclaim all offense/defense/utility though. If you want to remove suicides, you’re undoing glass cannon and recoil too.
  • Options
    .thank you all for your responses
  • Options
    Sooooo, it would make war more interesting.

That is your argument against it?
  • Options
    @TyEdge
    I did think it through.

All that will happen is, different champs will matter more