**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

War is still not in a good place

thepiggythepiggy Posts: 504 ★★★★
Pre-existing issues and recent changes are pushing the game harder into permanent p2w territory. I know that word is overused but I can't see how it's not the case.

1. Potion sizes are still not in line with the r4 meta.

2. Like before, they can only be bought with loyalty, loyalty can't be farmed, and there's not enough loyalty in the game to sustain purchases long term, if not already.

3. The third problem is recent. Grey boosts and powerback boosts can only be bought once a week instead of what it used to be. Some players used them 2-3x a war, so this is a very unfriendly change and makes manageable fights so much harder.

If limits were made to protect game design and balance, then why can we buy an unlimited amount with units and why are they available 24/7?

Not counting the potential unit cost of potions which is already a dealbreaker, players are now pressured into spending 1000+ units a war just on grey and powerback boosts.

If they die in a fight, they can't tell their team that they were out of boosts because they're always available now. This is an awful step that eventually pits players against each other instead of on game design.

War used to be reasonably accessible to players who already loved it, and even they are starting to sour on it. If access to potions and boosts stay the same, the game mode will suffer 100%.

Players are willing and able to to spend lots of money on deals just to stay on teams and play this mode, why do we keep trying to lock them out over this quick and dirty monetization?

Comments

• kunfuweikunfuwei Posts: 64
    War is pay to win with some skill involved. The revives for 1 loyalty are for the casuals the rest is for the more competitive side. Now even more so with the rewards change. Are you buying the alliance war boost packages for units that can help fill the gap as you accrue potions? Long story short they are not changing the business model for the high end of war it makes them money.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    kunfuwei said:

War is pay to win with some skill involved. The revives for 1 loyalty are for the casuals the rest is for the more competitive side. Now even more so with the rewards change. Are you buying the alliance war boost packages for units that can help fill the gap as you accrue potions? Long story short they are not changing the business model for the high end of war it makes them money.

This just isn't accurate. I know very very few people that spend a single unit on AW outside mastery changes which are usually handled with arena maintenance grinding.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,243 ★★★★★
    The high tier competitive war alliances are paying for the rest of the community for this game mode. It’s expected to be heavily monetized given how a small minority wants the best rewards at any cost.

I doubt that will go away anytime soon.

In the meantime, the 1 loyalty revives keeps the rest of us happy so we get an active community.
    Well, if an alliance forces someone to purchase boosts and pots despite that player not being willing to do so, the player should reconsider their priorities and whether being in that alliance is what they really want.
    thepiggy said:

xNig said:

The high tier competitive war alliances are paying for the rest of the community for this game mode. It’s expected to be heavily monetized given how a small minority wants the best rewards at any cost.

I doubt that will go away anytime soon.

In the meantime, the 1 loyalty revives keeps the rest of us happy so we get an active community.

If you boot them out of war, they stop buying for prestige too and leave alliances completely. Give players a hard time just to run war and they quit and who's left to help fund the game? Gold and Silver players? The game doesn't live on 1 loyalty revives and happiness.
    Actually, there’ll just be new people getting into the vacated ranks.

Happy people are usually more willing to spend. 😂
    edited September 2022
    thepiggy said:

xNig said:

Well, if an alliance forces someone to purchase boosts and pots despite that player not being willing to do so, the player should reconsider their priorities and whether being in that alliance is what they really want.

This implies it's a skill issue when it's really just over-monetization. Players who survived for years on skill and resource management are being pressured to spend.
    Idk how you can say that going into a war fight with
    - 30% Champion Boost
    - 15% Attack Boost
    - 20% Health Boost
    - Invul Boost
    - Power Return 200% Boost
    is “skill”.

“Skill” is going into a fight without boosts and still ace-ing it. If anything, making it expensive to use those boosts actually promote skill than spending to finish fights.
    thepiggy said:

Your only advice can't be to just quit because then everyone loses. We lose out on a fun game and Kabam loses out on cash.

Definitely not “just quit”.

What in trying to say is, as much as it gets more expensive to maintain top ranks due to a cap on grey/class boosts, there will be no lack of people who want to stay there and will spend whatever to keep their position there.

But at the other end, it actually produces a more level playing ground for everyone (which is a majority of players) between people who are willing to spend and those who aren’t, which is what war is about right?
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    thepiggy said:

xNig said:

This implies it's a skill issue when it's really just over-monetization. Players who survived for years on skill and resource management are being pressured to spend.
    Eh, a lot of people need to learn to use actual good matchups for fights instead of relying on power/Grey boosts to cheese their way through bad matchups imo.

I'm not saying the loyalty economy is great currently but the extent that it's off, especially in high tiers, is being massively exaggerated.
  • xNig said:

thepiggy said:

xNig said:

Idk how you can say that going into a war fight with
    - 30% Champion Boost
    - 15% Attack Boost
    - 20% Health Boost
    - Invul Boost
    - Power Return 200% Boost
    is “skill”.

“Skill” is going into a fight without boosts and still ace-ing it. If anything, making it expensive to use those boosts actually promote skill than spending to finish fights.
    spoken like a person who has no idea. Keep going ahead.
  • naikavonnaikavon Posts: 298 ★★★
    I'm ok with 2 of the 3 "issues" outlined by op.

The only one I'm currently not ok with regards healing pots. 6r4, with 6r5 on the horizon, need updated pots to meet the health pools. The current pots do not meet an adequate level. But that's a truth for the entirety of the game not just war. Although they have begun to slowly trickle out better revs ( think 100% revs) they are far too few everywhere and that should change.

I'm ok with current levels of loyalty right now. That could change in the future.

Right now, my ally is intentionally losing to arrive in a lower tier to find the happy medium between obtaining rewards w/o using loyalty.

The way we've come to view it, either you push to obtain rewards or save loyalty to buy in the store. More loyalty may enable both and I don't think that is the intention. Obviously we've opted for rewards bought in the store over ranked rewards. Our alliance holds the view that only the tippy top rewards are truly enticing ( even after the boost to them) and we're not prepared to do what is necessary to live in that stratosphere.

The question regarding loyalty will be answered by data for me. Right now, it's too early in the process to say if it's too light, too much, or the right amount.

I'll see where we fall in the ranked rewards vs where we use to fall, compare rewards "lost" with how long it takes to buy enough to replace those lost rewards and evaluate from there.

My gut says it won't be, but even if it doesn't completely "make up" for the amount, provided it is close I'll be ok with it. I'd rather they err on too little initially and correct than too much and have to correct. Players like the first method, and they...well, they don't much care for the other way lol.

It may well be that loyalty falls short for those choosing to buy rewards, it's just a litte early for me to unequivocally state it does now.

I am fairly certain (70%) the following statement is accurate. I admit I could be misremebering and it speaks to aq instead. I would remind folks that some time ago, kabam stated it was never their intention for allys to clear the map.

I do not know if that remains the case. I do not know if that has anything to do with the design choices made. I only offer it as info for those unaware.

So right now, I'm awaiting data before committing to a camp.