**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

This has to be a joke

This has to be a joke right 3 black widows in a row???????? Two of the bad ones being in a row so I land on it?????

Comments

• LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    edited September 2022

but do we really know that is the case? who's to say that they didn't just feed everyone some falsehood about the crystal being decided so no need to spin.

let's say i have 10 crystals and spin one at a time .. would the results be the same if i had just popped them? Kabam says yes but really do we believe them?? lol

If someone is watching the alliance page, the outcome of your crystal will appear while it is still spinning. Would it be the same if you popped? Not necessarily. If the outcome isn't predetermined while it is in your stash, and the server isn't queued up with a predetermined outcome for the next crystal, then the outcome will be different if you pop it now or wait 5 seconds to pop it. It would be different if you pop it or spin it. It will certainly be different if you pop 5 at a time or pop them one at a time. But it's random regardless, so one method isn't better than another. I think Kabam's point is that it doesn't matter if you pop or spin, not that the outcome will be exactly the same. Why would it be?
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★

but do we really know that is the case? who's to say that they didn't just feed everyone some falsehood about the crystal being decided so no need to spin.

let's say i have 10 crystals and spin one at a time .. would the results be the same if i had just popped them? Kabam says yes but really do we believe them?? lol

I have literally tested it out. I had 2 accounts in same alliance, had on watching feed while other spinned crystal on different device. I saw the champ come up on the feed almost immediately despite way before the crystal ever stopped or even slowed down.
  • Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,722 ★★★★
    edited September 2022
    Some information from kabam website.

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

If someone is watching the alliance page, the outcome of your crystal will appear while it is still spinning. Would it be the same if you popped? Not necessarily. If the outcome isn't predetermined while it is in your stash, and the server isn't queued up with a predetermined outcome for the next crystal, then the outcome will be different if you pop it now or wait 5 seconds to pop it. It would be different if you pop it or spin it. It will certainly be different if you pop 5 at a time or pop them one at a time. But it's random regardless, so one method isn't better than another. I think Kabam's point is that it doesn't matter if you pop or spin, not that the outcome will be exactly the same. Why would it be?
    Just to clarify this (because it's exactly right, but I worry some may take it the wrong way), when someone says that spinning or popping can give different results, it does not mean anything conspiratorial.

It's the same as saying "if I throw these two dice together or apart, will I get the same result?". The answer is no, not necessarily. If you have 2 dice and throw one, then wait 10 seconds and throw another, you may get different results as if you throw them in the same instant. But it only means that you "span the RNG" at a different moment.

It's the same way that if you are about to press open on a crystal but then pause and wait 5 seconds, you could get a different champion than if you had pressed it before waiting.

But as you said Noir, it is in no way better to do one or the other. If you were throwing dice, and you wanted a 5 and a 6, it doesn't matter if you throw them together or apart. Yes they could be different results, but you don't know which one is better, and therefore it doesn't matter that they're different because you can't use it to your advantage.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

I have literally tested it out. I had 2 accounts in same alliance, had on watching feed while other spinned crystal on different device. I saw the champ come up on the feed almost immediately despite way before the crystal ever stopped or even slowed down.
    oh wow ... that's very wild .. so then ... spinning or popping doesn't really matter?
    It doesn't matter. If you roll one set of dice with your right hand, and one set with your left hand, the outcomes won't be the same, but one hand won't produce consistently better results.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,738 ★★★★★

Good one but we have a proof of this not being the case.

When you pull a new champ, a notification pops up on your profile (bcs you can have new pfp). This pops up way before the crystal stops spinning, proving that it indeed is decided right when you start spinning
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Yes. You can check the alliance tab
  • Saru2244Saru2244 Posts: 181
    We tested that out. When I opened a Crystal, my Alli - Buddis could see what i will get, although in my few the Crystal was already spinning.
  • CaptainaidenCaptainaiden Posts: 791 ★★★
    Why people pulling champs not good will call it joke?
  • Toyota_2015Toyota_2015 Posts: 461 ★★★
    edited September 2022

Whenever I tap on the crystal, I get a lag spike so I always assumed that was when the champ gets decided. It doesn't really matter though, it's all random and there's no way to change the outcome.
  • ZeiramMRZeiramMR Posts: 103
    DNA3000 said:

Changing basic crystals proves the results aren't predetermined. Meaning, if you hold crystals with a basic pool component for long enough, some of them will contain drops that did not exist when the crystal was first acquired. This is absolute proof the results could not have been determined when the crystal was acquired.

Question: Has it been proven that crystals don't just have a predetermined seed used for the RNG, as opposed to a specific predetermined champ output? If the seed is used to select a champ at the time of open, it would account for the expanding pool. I ask because I'm aware of another gacha game that does this to prevent potential "reroll" exploits.
  • SuelGamesSuelGames Posts: 933 ★★★
    There are no "bad" Black Widows, u must be new
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

The game doesn't telepathically know what you want and deliberately gives you the opposite. And there's no way to influence the drops by doing anything in the game, because the drops are decided by the servers which have no idea what rabbit's foot you're rubbing or how you're waggling the crystals in the spinner screen. There's no technique to get better drops, and if anyone says there is or used to be, they are deluded.

Totally agree with everything you have stated, but it does feel conspiratorial when, I am ranking my Mutant champion and need just 1 more T4 Mutant catalyst, I have to open an inordinate amount of T4cc crystals just to get one Mutant while getting multiples of every other class.

• Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 934 ★★★★★
    When you click spin and it’s a brand new champion, you get a 1 show up on your profile name to signify a new champion profile pic can be used. This happens as soon as you spin. The champ is selected straight away, there’s no conspiracy.
  • Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 934 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

The game doesn't telepathically know what you want and deliberately gives you the opposite. And there's no way to influence the drops by doing anything in the game, because the drops are decided by the servers which have no idea what rabbit's foot you're rubbing or how you're waggling the crystals in the spinner screen. There's no technique to get better drops, and if anyone says there is or used to be, they are deluded.

Totally agree with everything you have stated, but it does feel conspiratorial when, I am ranking my Mutant champion and need just 1 more T4 Mutant catalyst, I have to open an inordinate amount of T4cc crystals just to get one Mutant while getting multiples of every other class.

Try rolling a dice 36 times. The odds are you should get 6 of each available number. The reality is you won’t as the number of rolls isn’t enough for the actual chance levels to play out. I’ve had times where I only need 1 of a certain class and need to open 30 crystals to get it. I’ve also had times where I need 5 of a class on only need to open 15. That’s RNG for you, sometimes it’s in your favour, sometimes it isn’t.
  • The_man001The_man001 Posts: 624 ★★★
    Yes it is
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    Wozzle007 said:

When you click spin and it’s a brand new champion, you get a 1 show up on your profile name to signify a new champion profile pic can be used. This happens as soon as you spin. The champ is selected straight away, there’s no conspiracy.

not for me... after reading all this i wasted 300 units to just check the info and the little 1 on my profile didn't pop up until i actually tap the screen to stop the spinner. it didn't pop up when i started the spin. managed an OP 3* Iron Doom LOL

but i was carefully watching the alliance tab from my ALT and yep it definitely showed when i tapped to stop and not when the spin began.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited October 2022
    ZeiramMR said:

DNA3000 said:

Changing basic crystals proves the results aren't predetermined. Meaning, if you hold crystals with a basic pool component for long enough, some of them will contain drops that did not exist when the crystal was first acquired. This is absolute proof the results could not have been determined when the crystal was acquired.

Question: Has it been proven that crystals don't just have a predetermined seed used for the RNG, as opposed to a specific predetermined champ output? If the seed is used to select a champ at the time of open, it would account for the expanding pool. I ask because I'm aware of another gacha game that does this to prevent potential "reroll" exploits.
    It's a generation on the server that corresponds to the drop rates listed. The Crystal sends the signal to the server to generate an outcome from specific pools (Basic, Featured, etc.), and the computer generates a quasi-random outcome. (Quasi-random because it operates within specific drop rates.)
    The Crystal is a key of sorts that unlocks an outcome within the parameters, and the server sends an outcome based on the pool. This process is almost instantaneous.
  • KINGBONEHEADKINGBONEHEAD Posts: 47
    It would be nice atleast once a month you could pick the character you want to build up! People put effort in we should atleast get 1 choice what could it hurt?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    ZeiramMR said:

DNA3000 said:

I'm not sure how you would prove this wasn't the case, but I'm also not sure you're portraying this other game correctly. There's no reason to store a "seed" with any lootbox, as that doesn't make sense computationally. If you could name this other game, I could try to determine if what you're saying it is doing is what it is actually doing.

Imagine for the sake of argument that MCOC was doing this. I have several thousand solo crystals currently unopened. Assuming the game works the way I'm pretty sure it does, the game only has to store three numbers: the quantities I own of each of the three different solo crystal types. But if it worked the way you describe, the game would have to store a numerical seed for each and every one of those crystals. Multiplied by all the players in the game, that's a huge amount of data. And as far as I can tell, that data is being stored for no purpose. If those crystals are just randomly generated when they are spun or popped open, the game doesn't have to store or track anything but how many I have, and the end result would be the same, or at least statistically the same.

In MCOC there's no possible way to engineer a "reroll exploit" if I'm understanding the term correctly, when it comes to crystals because there's no way to reroll a crystal. Crystals are opened server-side, and once they are opened your drop is added to your player account which is also server side. Nothing you do client-side can change this. It will happen even if the client crashes before the information can be made visible to the client. We've seen this happen where people pop crystals open but as they push the button the client crashes. When they log back in, all those crystals are gone and whatever was in them is now in the player inventory. If the player has no record of their original inventory and currencies, there's no way to know what came out of those crystals. But the game doesn't care.

I have heard of a limited pseudo-exploit in some games where you can "reroll" early in the game by simply playing the game to a certain point and then randomly generating some benefit, and if you don't like that benefit simply recreating or resetting your account and repeating until you get what you want. But I don't think that would make sense or be worth the trouble in MCOC.

It is probably worth asking a rhetorical question at this point. Why do anything *except* simply randomly generating the result? Randomly generated crystals have a property that by definition cannot be thwarted by any player: they cannot be manipulated. Genuinely randomly generated crystals opened server side always generate statistically random results. Anything is that depends on anything else is vulnerable to manipulation. If the crystals were in any way predestined, then that opens the door to the possibility that players could exploit that predestination in some way. It also opens the door to the developers making a mistake. If the developers wanted to, say, make a crystal drop fewer Hercs and more Groots, any mistake in implementing the crystal could cause the reverse to happen.

Now, who here thinks the developers are capable of consistently making sure the right things happen in the right order every time? Think about how often items resort themselves in inventory. Think about how often the UI changes the location that things display at. Think about how often the crystals show up in a different sequence in the crystal tab. Every single one of these glitches would, if they happened in crystal content manifests, cause the distribution of drops to change, if the crystals were designed to have weighted odds. Any dev team directed to manipulate the odds of individual crystal drops would *have to* be capable of keeping the order of things in the game absolutely rock solid consistent.

Is that this game?
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★

You’ve been on the forums too long to be saying stuff like this my man