What Kind of Damage is Void’s Debuff Damage?

LexSaviLexSavi Member Posts: 216
I’m trying to figure out if the clobber rune on the Hulk relic would trigger when Void is causing damage to a debuffed opponent. It’s says it triggers when there is non-contact physical damage. Anyone know what kind of damage it is?

Comments

• TheParasiteTheParasite Member Posts: 408 ★★
    yes it is direct damage
  • LexSaviLexSavi Member Posts: 216
    Yup, it’s direct damage which is what Void’s bio says. Where I’m getting stuck is that I was reading something that said that there are different types of direct damage. Bleed damage is DD as is the damage resulting from Vision’s power burn. This was a MCOC Fandom wiki so it’s not exactly gospel, but I couldn’t find anything on the official forum.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Member Posts: 21,933 ★★★★★
    LexSavi said:

Yup, it’s direct damage which is what Void’s bio says. Where I’m getting stuck is that I was reading something that said that there are different types of direct damage. Bleed damage is DD as is the damage resulting from Vision’s power burn. This was a MCOC Fandom wiki so it’s not exactly gospel, but I couldn’t find anything on the official forum.

bleed damage is… bleed damage. can’t be mitigated by either physical or energy resistance but can be by bleed resistance and immunities

voids direct damage can only be “countered” if you can get rid of the debuffs
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,741 ★★★★★
    LexSavi said:

Red Hulk does direct damage for each heat charge he has. That is the type of damage the relic should counter.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

LexSavi said:

Red Hulk does direct damage for each heat charge he has. That is the type of damage the relic should counter.
    Red hulk is physical damage
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,741 ★★★★★

LexSavi said:

Red hulk is physical damage
    Yes sorry.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,269 Guardian
    LexSavi said:

In MCOC there are attacks, there are effects, and there is damage. Each can have one or more types. An attack, for example, can be contact or non contact. Damage can have a type. Bleed is a type. Poison is a type. Direct is a type. Bleed is not a type of Direct damage. Bleed is a different type of damage.

There are very few external resources that discuss this topic accurately, because this was not a well understood topic until not all that long ago, and most players probably still don’t have a strong grasp of all of it. If you have questions about this stuff, best to ask.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Member Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

LexSavi said:

In MCOC there are attacks, there are effects, and there is damage. Each can have one or more types. An attack, for example, can be contact or non contact. Damage can have a type. Bleed is a type. Poison is a type. Direct is a type. Bleed is not a type of Direct damage. Bleed is a different type of damage.

There are very few external resources that discuss this topic accurately, because this was not a well understood topic until not all that long ago, and most players probably still don’t have a strong grasp of all of it. If you have questions about this stuff, best to ask.
    I'm pretty sure that Bleed and Poison deal direct damage. The same way that Rupture deals physical damage and that Shock, Incinerate, Coldsnap, etc. deal energy damage. Direct damage just means that it is not effected by any other resistances i.e. you would need a resistance/vulnerability to bleed to take different amounts of damage.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,269 Guardian
    K00shMaan said:

DNA3000 said:

LexSavi said:

I'm pretty sure that Bleed and Poison deal direct damage. The same way that Rupture deals physical damage and that Shock, Incinerate, Coldsnap, etc. deal energy damage. Direct damage just means that it is not effected by any other resistances i.e. you would need a resistance/vulnerability to bleed to take different amounts of damage.
    On a technical level, I believe Bleed effects deal direct damage. But that's not because bleed is a type of direct, it is because the attack or effect is typed bleed, and the damage is typed direct. Typing damage direct these days is just typing it as "not physical or energy" the two fundamental resistances in the game. For a resistance to affect damage, the resistance must have a type that matches the damage. Since direct is (obviously) not energy or physical, no direct damage can be resisted by energy or physical resistances.

But since bleed effects are typed "Bleed" any resistance that is tagged as a Bleed resistance will affect the damage from those bleed effects.

But this would probably be more detail than most players can make good use of. The Direct tag used to have a meaning, like Passive, but the way it is used has evolved over time to the point where it is sort of the "not typed" tag. So calling something Bleed and Direct is, in the current state of the game, mostly redundant. Bleed and Direct basically means (these days) Bleed and nothing else. Damage is listed as Direct these days usually when it is nothing else but, so there's no confusion.