**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Are the current punishments for modding/cheating appropriate?

BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,587 ★★★★★
It’s hard to know if modding is worse than ever, or just more obvious than ever. Either way it’s a hot topic of discussion so let’s ask ourselves if the current punishments are effective or not. If not what would be?

Are the current punishments for modding/cheating appropriate? 60 votes

Yes, the current punishments address cheating appropriately
6%
RawrasurusShadow_ShooterTheWatcher_Smurisurpreme1_ 4 votes
No, the current punishments are not effective
35%
TheJalliHeinz11World EaterMqc19PrimeSaviour_27KILLMФИGЕЯBonemanLordSmasherThoye3Soyheyor123TheGodfather39MasterzxProBigBlueOxNogood22spidyjedi84RealWizardSuperstar_1126Dave7099Marvelfan30Boom0918c 21 votes
No, the current punishments in fact encourage cheating
58%
DrZolathe_eradicatorVydrabuffajrzuffyIOSJasoNNoıreQuikPikcfpreludeGmonkeyGarlorockykostonyuwStellarIndioSkay1984SidDDragon_Sham_AMS94tee_winAzenstar 35 votes

Comments

• Options
    Personally I believe any rewards earned while an account’s integrity has been compromised should be forfeit in addition to bans being 30, 60, and 90 days. It should be a set back for the cheater
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,669 Guardian
    That would work for people cheating on main accounts, but this is a free to play game and with mods you can be UC within 30 minutes, so even a permanent ban won't stop modders for long.
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    A quick look at the leaderboards every season in BG or a look through global or random account with 6k prestige and abyss profile pic and legends tag make it pretty clear whatever kabam is doing is pretty much useless.
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

That would work for people cheating on main accounts, but this is a free to play game and with mods you can be UC within 30 minutes, so even a permanent ban won't stop modders for long.

Are you saying that's a reason NOT to perma ban accounts?
  • Options
    Pikolu said:

I don’t think that justifies the current structure, tbh I’d like to see any account that benefited from something like a zone 25 push being carried by a modder subject to a penalty and confiscated rewards too
  • Options
    IOSJasoNIOSJasoN Posts: 643 ★★★

Pikolu said:

That’s not what they said, I believe they’re just pointing out the fact that it won’t stop them doing it. However it would make it somewhat pointless doing it if there was a faster no nonsense permanent ban approach to it, as it stands modders come into global bragging about their 3-7 day ban and keeping all the stuff they got from doing it.
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,764 ★★★★★
    Punishments?
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,669 Guardian

Pikolu said:

I'm just saying it is a pointless endeavor. The only way to deal with modders is prevention which is why kabam has been improving their ways of detecting modders because that's the only way to stop them.
    BigBlueOx said:

Pikolu said:

I don’t think that justifies the current structure, tbh I’d like to see any account that benefited from something like a zone 25 push being carried by a modder subject to a penalty and confiscated rewards too
    The issue with this is the innocent people caught in the crossfire. Some people might have done a zone 25 push with someone while being ignorant that they're a modder.

I'm all for people who knowingly did a push with a modder get punished, but proving they knew would be difficult.
  • Options
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

I'm just saying it is a pointless endeavor. The only way to deal with modders is prevention which is why kabam has been improving their ways of detecting modders because that's the only way to stop them.
    BigBlueOx said:

Pikolu said:

The issue with this is the innocent people caught in the crossfire. Some people might have done a zone 25 push with someone while being ignorant that they're a modder.

I'm all for people who knowingly did a push with a modder get punished, but proving they knew would be difficult.
    I have and concern, ideally a complete process would result in an investigation and have an appeals process too
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    I lost ranks in BG due to modders , even reported them, but their accounts are still alive and kicking.

I'm all for punishments and bans but right now, they're not enough.
  • Options
    Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Posts: 766 ★★★
    repeat offenders should get perma ban.

also, those wronged by modders should have any costs (e.g. elders marks) refunded. I would say they should not get "what they would have got if they won the BG mtach) or that in of itself would be abusable by modding against yourself with a throw away, and then reporting yourself to get a free win.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,549 ★★★★★
    And yet Season 6 just comes rolling along…

I have zero evidence whether the people who placed ahead of me this last season cheated. But I’m 100% skeptical of the suggestion that none of them cheated.

When the team makes pronouncements about their rigorous anti-cheat measures, things like the end of this past BG season undermine community confidence that anything will actually be done.

It isn’t like a public denouncement is necessary. Neither is it necessary to catch every infraction. But it is detrimental for players to have reasonable cause to believe the game lets cheaters off the hook.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    FantomaxopFantomaxop Posts: 127 ★★
    I don't understand how cheating can result in anything but perma-ban.
    In any other multiplayer online project cheating in any form is inexcusable and results in complete loss of account, with only difference in how fast dev team can react to that/how automated process is.
    Some companies work on anti-cheat systems to detect obvious tries to outsmart the system (like Valve's VAC, Valorant"s Vanguard, Blizzard's Ricochet).
    Some work more manually, leaning on strong moderation and cooperation from player-base.
    And there is Kabam.
    In heavily monetized by micro-transactions mobile game, where player's investment and addiction are crucial factors in forming stabile and thick revenue, nobody seems to really care about how modders and modding affects community and it's view of value in grind and payment. Not to mention how it literally breaks apart competitive gamemodes like Battlegrounds, where player vs player interaction is the most important part and what makes it so fascinating.
    But who cares about all of that? Well somebody that believes that their time, effort and possibly money are worth the trouble.
    Looking at how easy it to cheat and get away with it, i can't be invested in MCOC as much, as i would want to.
  • Options

I don't understand how cheating can result in anything but perma-ban.
    In any other multiplayer online project cheating in any form is inexcusable and results in complete loss of account, with only difference in how fast dev team can react to that/how automated process is.
    Some companies work on anti-cheat systems to detect obvious tries to outsmart the system (like Valve's VAC, Valorant"s Vanguard, Blizzard's Ricochet).
    Some work more manually, leaning on strong moderation and cooperation from player-base.
    And there is Kabam.
    In heavily monetized by micro-transactions mobile game, where player's investment and addiction are crucial factors in forming stabile and thick revenue, nobody seems to really care about how modders and modding affects community and it's view of value in grind and payment. Not to mention how it literally breaks apart competitive gamemodes like Battlegrounds, where player vs player interaction is the most important part and what makes it so fascinating.
    But who cares about all of that? Well somebody that believes that their time, effort and possibly money are worth the trouble.
    Looking at how easy it to cheat and get away with it, i can't be invested in MCOC as much, as i would want to.

It baffles me that the rewards are allowed to remain with the cheating account
  • Options
    I don’t know where the one week ban concept comes from, it’s definitely a large part of the problem because it’s not even a hiccup in time that would prevent any roster progress
  • Options
    Well said by KT1: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8p5yd3TVt8E&feature=shares

I hope more weigh in. It’s important that we give this feedback.

• Options
    Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Posts: 766 ★★★
    As a suggestion to Kabam, anyone who thumbs down a comment like "cheaters should be punished"... should be moved to the top of the list as a suspect. It should by no means be used as proof, but unless they back up their disagreement with a reason why... seems awfully suspect to me.