The Failure of Paragon?

Comments

• Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

TyEdge said:

I think a big question worth asking is whether 7r2 requires a premium resource that 6r5 doesn’t. If it’s like 5r5 and 6r2, where the premium resources match, having a number of champs at that level raises priority questions.

Pretty sure it was simula who asked the devs and this is what they said it would be.

With the current pool, there's basically zero incentive to r2 a 7* any time soon.
    I'll take that bet. Guilly99 alone would be worth it.
    Guilly2099 is a pretty much worthless champ right now. She's built for long-form content but can't be used in AoL. I really don't see her appeal at 7/r2.

I'd take a 6/r5 Nimrod, Wrlock, Ghost, Omega, iDoom, Penny or Starky over G2099 at 7/r2.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    edited April 2023

Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

TyEdge said:

I think a big question worth asking is whether 7r2 requires a premium resource that 6r5 doesn’t. If it’s like 5r5 and 6r2, where the premium resources match, having a number of champs at that level raises priority questions.

Pretty sure it was simula who asked the devs and this is what they said it would be.

With the current pool, there's basically zero incentive to r2 a 7* any time soon.
    Guilly2099 is a pretty much worthless champ right now. She's built for long-form content but can't be used in AoL. I really don't see her appeal at 7/r2.

I'd take a 6/r5 Nimrod, Wrlock, Ghost, Omega, iDoom, Penny or Starky over G2099 at 7/r2.
    Worthless for you maybe. But her immunities, rege , power control, heal block/reversal are still quite amazing. Almost no champ is immune to degen. Not everyone cares about long form content.
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,947 Guardian

Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

TyEdge said:

The beauty about opinion is that everyone has one, and is entitled to one. You may not like the pool, but plenty do :)
    I like the pool a lot actually but none of them compare to the gods of each class so spending extra cats, which are super hard to get as it is already, makes no sense to me.

I'd take a 7* G2099 all day but she would not be on my shortlist to rank-up. Here's my want list from another thread and she's in my second tier of wanted champs:

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,807 ★★★★★

I like the pool a lot actually but none of them compare to the gods of each class so spending extra cats, which are super hard to get as it is already, makes no sense to me.

I'd take a 7* G2099 all day but she would not be on my shortlist to rank-up. Here's my want list from another thread and she's in my second tier of wanted champs:

I'd R2 Gorr, Terrax, Venom, Bishop, Overseer, Dragon Man and Sun Spot. I'd even consider Storm X. She's very underrated.

You do know that 7* base stats even at r1 lvl1 are quite good? 6* are going to max out at r5. (For now). Those 7* are going to continue all the way to r6. It's an investment for the future. You gotta start somewhere. And we all knew that the top champs in each class weren't going to be a 7* right off the bat anyways.

I'd R2 Gorr, Terrax, Venom, Bishop, Overseer, Dragon Man and Sun Spot. I'd even consider Storm X. She's very underrated.
    Over the 6* gods and for 4 extra cats? Would you r5 those champs at 6* over their peers or is it just that they're 7*? That's pretty much my point. I see 7* as just another r4 because of how scarce the cats are so ranking just because they're a higher star level *non* doesn't make sense to me.

Bishop is probably at the top of my list for r2 but I'd still do Kitty/Apoc/OR over him.
    Buttehrs said:

You do know that 7* base stats even at r1 lvl1 are quite good? 6* are going to max out at r5. (For now). Those 7* are going to continue all the way to r6. It's an investment for the future. You gotta start somewhere. And we all knew that the top champs in each class weren't going to be a 7* right off the bat anyways.
    With how scarce those r5/r2 cats are right now, ranking 7* for the future could end up costing you. Also, there are no 7* sig stones yet so you'd be choosing to rank a ~5th or lower ranked champ in a given class with no or very low sig over a top 5 champ at sig 200.

Everyone can choose their own path, which is why this game is still interesting, but IMO going full-on for 7* *now* is a mistake.

Buttehrs said:

With how scarce those r5/r2 cats are right now, ranking 7* for the future could end up costing you. Also, there are no 7* sig stones yet so you'd be choosing to rank a ~5th or lower ranked champ in a given class with no or very low sig over a top 5 champ at sig 200.

Everyone can choose their own path, which is why this game is still interesting, but IMO going full-on for 7* *now* is a mistake.
    People said the same thing when 6* dropped. That seemed to work out just fine after a little while.
    Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

People said the same thing when 6* dropped. That seemed to work out just fine after a little while.
    That's why I specifically highlighted *now*. It took a while for 6* to ver take 5*, especially for F2P players. I switched to 6* early cause I was in a top 15 ally at the time and spent much more than I do now. Since retiring and having little desire to spend for champs that really won't help me much, I don't see 7* champs having much impact on my roster for the foreseeable future.
    edited April 2023

Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

That's why I specifically highlighted *now*. It took a while for 6* to ver take 5*, especially for F2P players. I switched to 6* early cause I was in a top 15 ally at the time and spent much more than I do now. Since retiring and having little desire to spend for champs that really won't help me much, I don't see 7* champs having much impact on my roster for the foreseeable future.
    I'm the same way. Well in a sense at least. It just depends on what 7* I have by the time I have those kinds of resources. Or if there's a new progression title requiring ranked up 6r5 or 7* lol. Then again when it comes to cats and crystals I'm terrible at hoarding longer than necessary.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Member Posts: 2,884 ★★★★★

I dont think Paragon was a failure. Folks are expecting wayyy too much. What we got was quite good.

All we got was an updated free and daily Crystal you know?

Over the 6* gods and for 4 extra cats? Would you r5 those champs at 6* over their peers or is it just that they're 7*? That's pretty much my point. I see 7* as just another r4 because of how scarce the cats are so ranking just because they're a higher star level *non* doesn't make sense to me.

Bishop is probably at the top of my list for r2 but I'd still do Kitty/Apoc/OR over him.
    I'm not one of those players who relies on "gods". My R4 roster includes Silver Centurion, Jabari Panther, Rhulk, BWDO and Symbiote Supreme. Of course I have Herc, Galan and more but I don't limit myself to God tier champs. I R4'd Silver Centurion over Dr Doom, Apoc and others for my first R4. I reject your elitist mindset.

I'm not one of those players who relies on "gods". My R4 roster includes Silver Centurion, Jabari Panther, Rhulk, BWDO and Symbiote Supreme. Of course I have Herc, Galan and more but I don't limit myself to God tier champs. I R4'd Silver Centurion over Dr Doom, Apoc and others for my first R4. I reject your elitist mindset.
    lol, ok chief.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,405 Guardian

Pikolu said:

TyEdge said:

Obviously you haven't seen my r5 6* I got. I'd 100% r2 7* Chavez in a heartbeat.

I dont think Paragon was a failure. Folks are expecting wayyy too much. What we got was quite good.

And access to offers, and more r4 mats through objectives. Special objectives on EOP for Paragons only, and for side quests. Should i go on?

lol, ok chief.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/288681/my-choice-for-my-first-r4/p3
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Member Posts: 2,884 ★★★★★

And access to offers, and more r4 mats through objectives. Special objectives on EOP for Paragons only, and for side quests. Should i go on?
    Offers don’t just benefit us, they benefit kabam just as much. That isn’t something that shouldn’t be counted.

Offers don’t just benefit us, they benefit kabam just as much. That isn’t something that shouldn’t be counted.
    By that logic, playing this game benefits kabam as well. How is this any different? And offers can be unit based as well.

Well technically, us just playing the game benefits Kabam so does that mean nothing actually counts?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

TyEdge said:

God Tier Syndrome.
    edited April 2023
    *God Tier Syndrome, also known as GTS, is a serious medical condition that affects 1 in 5 Players. Side effects include not seeing the value in other Champs, and restricted Rank-Ups. There is no cure, but treatment is possible. Ask your doctor if using other Champs is right for you.
  • ShiroiharaShiroihara Member Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    edited April 2023

*God Tier Syndrome, also known as GTS, is a serious medical condition that affects 1 in 5 Players. Side effects include not seeing the value in other Champs, and restricted Rank-Ups. There is no cure, but treatment is possible. Ask your doctor if using other Champs is right for you.

In fairness, in the beginning you should make do with what you have, but once you have a champ for most scenarios, whimsical rank ups are a personal choice.
    I don’t use resources that way because it takes effort to get them. I don’t see it as playing the game wrong and it certainly doesn’t warrant the snobbery.

In fairness, in the beginning you should make do with what you have, but once you have a champ for most scenarios, whimsical rank ups are a personal choice.
    I don’t use resources that way because it takes effort to get them. I don’t see it as playing the game wrong and it certainly doesn’t warrant the snobbery.
    It's been a thing ever since Players have been making lists of Champs that are "most preferred". Adhering to it religiously means missing out on a great deal of usefulness with other Champs. People can cherry-pick if they like, but calling anything to the contrary a waste is snobbery itself.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian

Pikolu said:

TyEdge said:

And yet I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing them almost immediately after it becomes possible to do.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian

I'm pretty sure we got other stuff. Better offer tiers, better prices in the stores for stuff (although I haven't checked things like the BG or Glory store in a while). But even if that was the only thing we got, that would still be plenty. The Paragon daily crystal has averaged this for me:

Half a T5CC a month? 5k 6* shards? For free?

Paragon is not a failure if people complain about it. That would make the entire game a failure. Paragon is a failure if nobody cares to go for the title. Wake me when that starts happening.
  • JrHollJrHoll Member Posts: 16
    Paragon crystal is coming, so that takes care of one of your suggestions, as the lowest tier in that crystal is 4 star. I think a benefit to Paragon over TB is better deals and sales in stores and special events like July 4h and Cyber Weekend. Ability to purchase arena boost crystals? Nope. Don't like that at all. This game is already pay to win enough as it is, and us Paragon players already get more points get more points faster than most because we have (or should have) deeper rosters, more 6 stars and at higher ranks. I can't think of any positive to certain players being able to purchase arena boost crystals.
  • JChanceH9JChanceH9 Member Posts: 852 ★★★
    Wish they’d give an extra mastery point with a new title unlock personally. They aren’t released that often. So it’s be like, what, 3-4 every 10 years?
  • ShiroiharaShiroihara Member Posts: 1,092 ★★★★

It's been a thing ever since Players have been making lists of Champs that are "most preferred". Adhering to it religiously means missing out on a great deal of usefulness with other Champs. People can cherry-pick if they like, but calling anything to the contrary a waste is snobbery itself.
    Going back to my point. If I already have a certain bit of utility, taking another champ that does the same thing but slightly differently doesn't justify a r4 or even a r3. If it does it better or brings something new and neat, then that's a good investment.
    This is an 80% admin, 20% fighting game. If you want to spin the roulette and rank up stuff that you don't need, then cool, but aiming high is a perfectly valid (and preferred) way to play when you have to manage resources.
    Also, people that r3 champs because they hear they're good are a different breed. I don't defend that. I try for myself before I buy.
  • GiuliameijGiuliameij Member Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    A new progression title should not hit until 8.4 is out. A new title this year would be way too soon.