**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Unpopular opinion: Jessica Jones is a bit OP despite being street threat tier

Mr.0-8-4Mr.0-8-4 Posts: 467 ★★★
Hey Community,

Perhaps some of you will disagree with my opinion but, oddly, Jessica Jones is such a resilient/difficult defender despite her powerset being flight and super strength. Don't get me wrong, I like her animations and how her kit revolves around throwing things but I think it's disappointing to see god-tier characters like Odin, Dormammu, Immortal Hulk, Hela, and Wanda OG display weak defensive countermeasures while street-level characters get all the power.

Since when is she invulnerable? I can see the occasional unblockable attack or unstoppable buff but all three? Just seems a bit overpowered. Any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    She is one of my favorite champs to play at the moment.

• Options

She's definitely fun to play in BG or normal quests. I think it's great that Kabam is making street-level champs more interesting but I think it's important to keep a balance and not neglect the traditional powerhouses from the Marvel universe (Eg. Phoenix)
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    Mr.0-8-4 said:

She's definitely fun to play in BG or normal quests. I think it's great that Kabam is making street-level champs more interesting but I think it's important to keep a balance and not neglect the traditional powerhouses from the Marvel universe (Eg. Phoenix)
    They tend to make the new champs strong (IMO) as an incentive to acquire them. Everyone has Phoenix, so less incentive to buff to the point they are OP.
  • Options
    definitely a tough defender, like wpx
  • Options
    Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    I mean there’s an in game reason why characters like Nick Fury can square up to Hulk even though one’s a powerless human.
    The lore explains it in depth
  • Options
    KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,745 ★★★★★
    If they stuck to being faithful to the comics power, mystic and cosmic would be busted, while science and skill would never, ever stand a chance
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 663 ★★★★
    I mean she's a pay to get type of champion (at least the 6* version) so they HAD to make her at the very least really strong for people to be willing to pay for it
  • Options
    I'm glad to see people engaging with this topic. In reference to the comment some people made that the game lore, I'm aware that the game doesn't scale to the comic-book counterparts of these champs. As someone stated above, if it did, there would be an imbalance among champs.

Having indestructible/unstoppable/unblockable in Jessica's kit seems out of character. Thanos or Kang (who are also trophy characters) would make more sense for them to be stacked with buffs/passives because of their tech/status as powerhouses.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Mr.0-8-4 said:

Hey Community,

Perhaps some of you will disagree with my opinion but, oddly, Jessica Jones is such a resilient/difficult defender despite her powerset being flight and super strength. Don't get me wrong, I like her animations and how her kit revolves around throwing things but I think it's disappointing to see god-tier characters like Odin, Dormammu, Immortal Hulk, Hela, and Wanda OG display weak defensive countermeasures while street-level characters get all the power.

Since when is she invulnerable? I can see the occasional unblockable attack or unstoppable buff but all three? Just seems a bit overpowered. Any thoughts on the matter?

MCOC does not honor "tiers" in that way. You can make a game with tiers of combatants, but then you have the situation where eventually Spiderman gets left behind. That's not going to happen in a Marvel IP game.

The alternative is using an in-game fiction to level out the champs. Injustice did this with Kryptonian nanotech. Within the fiction of the game, every character is boosted with Kryptonian nanotechnology implants, which allows the Joker to fight Superman on even ground. In MCOC, it is ISO-8 serving the same purpose. The ruler of the battlerealm wants reasonably fair fights, and thus every champion that gets sent to the battlerealm is empowered by cosmic energy. The physical rules of the battlerealm also limit the power of otherwise omnipotent beings like Dormammu or the Phoenix. The top get brought down, and the bottom get raised up, so everyone is fighting within a much narrower band. And just like in the actual comics where a comic writer can just decide that Spiderman can beat the Hulk today, and then the Hulk can beat the entire cosmos tomorrow, power levels are somewhat arbitrary in the battlerealm.

To put it another way, in effect there are no "street level" champions in the battlerealm because they are all akin to Heralds of Galactus. As Galactus empowers his heralds with the power cosmic, everyone in the battlerealm is empowered by ISO-8, the energy of a fallen Celestial. The Silver Surfer is just some ordinary dude named Norin Radd, but empowered by the power cosmic. Jessica Jones is just some minor resilient street crime fighter on Earth-616, but in the battlerealm she is what ISO-8 and the cosmic rules of the battlerealm have empowered her to be.

I hear what you're saying (prior to you responding, I was addressing it but you beat me to the punch lol). I don't think I did a good job of conveying my message. I think the nitpick I have is why is Jessica so stacked with passives despite not having a wide array of powers. It feels out of place.

It's like giving Hyperion nullifying abilities or giving Spiderman armor up buffs. I mean you can but it doesn't really make sense given their class/abilities.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,695 Guardian
    Mr.0-8-4 said:

DNA3000 said:

Mr.0-8-4 said:

Hey Community,

MCOC does not honor "tiers" in that way. You can make a game with tiers of combatants, but then you have the situation where eventually Spiderman gets left behind. That's not going to happen in a Marvel IP game.

The alternative is using an in-game fiction to level out the champs. Injustice did this with Kryptonian nanotech. Within the fiction of the game, every character is boosted with Kryptonian nanotechnology implants, which allows the Joker to fight Superman on even ground. In MCOC, it is ISO-8 serving the same purpose. The ruler of the battlerealm wants reasonably fair fights, and thus every champion that gets sent to the battlerealm is empowered by cosmic energy. The physical rules of the battlerealm also limit the power of otherwise omnipotent beings like Dormammu or the Phoenix. The top get brought down, and the bottom get raised up, so everyone is fighting within a much narrower band. And just like in the actual comics where a comic writer can just decide that Spiderman can beat the Hulk today, and then the Hulk can beat the entire cosmos tomorrow, power levels are somewhat arbitrary in the battlerealm.

To put it another way, in effect there are no "street level" champions in the battlerealm because they are all akin to Heralds of Galactus. As Galactus empowers his heralds with the power cosmic, everyone in the battlerealm is empowered by ISO-8, the energy of a fallen Celestial. The Silver Surfer is just some ordinary dude named Norin Radd, but empowered by the power cosmic. Jessica Jones is just some minor resilient street crime fighter on Earth-616, but in the battlerealm she is what ISO-8 and the cosmic rules of the battlerealm have empowered her to be.

I hear what you're saying (prior to you responding, I was addressing it but you beat me to the punch lol). I don't think I did a good job of conveying my message. I think the nitpick I have is why is Jessica so stacked with passives despite not having a wide array of powers. It feels out of place.

It's like giving Hyperion nullifying abilities or giving Spiderman armor up buffs. I mean you can but it doesn't really make sense given their class/abilities.
    Passive abilities in the science class are becoming more and more popular. With mystic dispersion in the game, mystics punish those who get buffs, so by removing buffs and instead using passives, science champions can better counter the mystic class.

Something else to keep in mind is Ægon beat a bunch of strong dudes like Hyperion and even the overruling power of the contest at the time with no powers of his own. He was just a well-trained spartan and with a small sacrifice distraction from carina was able to beat whoever the cosmic entity was hosting the original contest and won the iso-belt.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,695 Guardian
    Pikolu said:

Mr.0-8-4 said:

DNA3000 said:

Mr.0-8-4 said:

Hey Community,

Passive abilities in the science class are becoming more and more popular. With mystic dispersion in the game, mystics punish those who get buffs, so by removing buffs and instead using passives, science champions can better counter the mystic class.
    Basically this. As buffs are the cosmic thing for the most part, passives are increasingly the science thing.

Why specifically the kinds of passives she gets? Because a lot of the "flavor" of the character are non-combat capabilities - being a streetwise detective for example. These things have to be translated into the combat mechanics of the game, because MCOC players have no way to detective their way to rewards. So this is a matter of creative license.
    Pikolu said:

Something else to keep in mind is Ægon beat a bunch of strong dudes like Hyperion and even the overruling power of the contest at the time with no powers of his own. He was just a well-trained spartan and with a small sacrifice distraction from carina was able to beat whoever the cosmic entity was hosting the original contest and won the iso-belt.

Another thing to remember about Skill specifically is that Skill does not mean the same thing in the battlerealm in the Marvel multiverse as it means here in the real world. In the real world skill has limits. In the fictional Marvel multiverse, skill does not have the same limits. Shang Chi's abilities are straight up magical in terms of real world physics, but in the fictional world of the Marvel multiverse he has just "learned" those fighting abilities because they are abilities that actually exist and can be learned.

Half the technology in the Marvel multuiverse is magic, most of the skill and cosmic abilities are actually magic, virtually all the mutant abilities are magic, and all the science abilities are magic. Aegon is skill class, but in the battlerealm Skill is a first class citizen with Magic, Science, Mutant, Cosmic and Tech. Skill is not a lesser capability. To put it another way, in the battlerealm Skill is a power.
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses guys. I think Pikolu and DNA made some good points. I particularly liked what DNA said here:

Basically this. As buffs are the cosmic thing for the most part, passives are increasingly the science thing.

Why specifically the kinds of passives she gets? Because a lot of the "flavor" of the character are non-combat capabilities - being a streetwise detective for example. These things have to be translated into the combat mechanics of the game, because MCOC players have no way to detective their way to rewards. So this is a matter of creative license.

I agree that they needed to give Jessica Jones combat abilities that translated into MCOC (as DNA said, just being a detective doesn't work) but I do think that the complexity of her kit and difficulty as a defender would be better suited to a character's kit who is in alignment with passives like Indestructible. She's strong and a great detective so why is she going indestructible for long periods of time?

Weapon X has the same mechanics but at least there's logic to his abilities. He's in beserker rage mode which means he's going to be unblockable & unstoppable but even he doesn't have indestructible, just insane regeneration (which again, lines up with his abilities)

Jessica Jones's kit would've made more sense if it was modeled like Misty Knight's (but a far better version than hers). Gaining buffs or passives depending on the class she was facing as opposed to having the three passives I listed above, in every fight.
  • Options
    another point to add would be they had to give her abilities to make her more desirable. By amping up her kit, she becomes very desirable to attain. She is a fun champ too which helps.
  • Options

Another point to add would be they had to give her abilities to make her more desirable. By amping up her kit, she becomes very desirable to attain. She is a fun champ too which helps.

I suspect this was the main reason they gave her the kit she has now. I think her animations are incredible and they align with her Netflix adaptation. I think her character's kit would've been an incredible opportunity to bring in new buffs/mechanics that favored champs that are known to be really intelligent. I like the "dossier" idea. I think it would be really cool if she has a cross-fight ability that allowed her to share her class dossier with other geniuses in the Battlerealm like Beast, Shuri, Tony Stark, T'Challa, Captain Marvel, etc.

That being said, I know that introducing new mechanics to the game is easier said than done so it is what it is.