Suicides mastery in 2023?

WonderWanderWonderWander Member Posts: 80
I just hit Paragon recently and planning to work on my mastery a bit. Remember "Suicides" mastery being "The Thing" back in the day
Is it still worth getting it?

Comments

• GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Member, Guardian Posts: 6,482 Guardian
    I know people on both sides that use it or don’t. It depends on your play style really. They still don’t have an easy way to switch them on and off which is why I avoid them
  • OakenshieldOakenshield Member Posts: 2,098 ★★★★
    If you grind a lot of arena, it is worth it. If not, I would say don’t bother.
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,951 ★★★★★
    Not needed in story or most modes. I did up through 8.2 without them and have them off in my BG deck. I have them turned on for arenas.
  • HSS75HSS75 Member Posts: 1,161 ★★★
    i always wonder when will Mastery will get an update
  • Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Member Posts: 931 ★★★★
    Full time recoil tree runner here. Have taken them off twice in last 3 yrs. Once was to build BGs deck & the other was for the willpower bahamet boss in 8.2. Sure there is the health loss sometimes, but I pretty much always run NF/DP synergy for some health back at start of every fight. Plenty of champions to clear a lane with, that losing 2 to a synergy doesn't make a difference. The extra power boost just makes things go so much faster. Can't imagine ever removing them
  • Denslo500Denslo500 Member Posts: 905 ★★★
    If you like to use Special 1 and 2 a lot, no.

For Act 8 healthpools, I was getting more damage from recoil than I was from my opponent. I like Doom and Wagneto and they use a lot of specials.
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,896 ★★★★★
    I don't run them in my day-to-day playing, but I do find them useful to have unlocked for arena, AQ and BG.

Arena is just faster with them turned on.

I find AQ much easier with a suicide-friendly champ since you get some sort of healing through it that keeps you topped up.

For BG, they are often a detriment but there are the occasional metas where they are great. Whenever there's a "defenders don't take any damage unless you do X or Y" node, the bleed and poison are usually just free healing for your defenders while they do 60% extra damage. I'm not sure if the upcoming Crit Me With Your Best Shot is one of those nodes or if it simply means that you can't damage them unless you crit them (but they can still damage themselves with the suicides), but either way, there are those types of nodes that really benefit from those masteries.

But regardless of whether or not your defenders benefit from them during that meta, your attacks most certainly will since there's a node that gives them guaranteed crits. That, paired with +60% attack, is pretty insane. It means you probably won't even have time to worry about recoil. I remember having 15-second fights with my suicides on when that meta was last in BG. It was insane.

They can also be a benefit if there are nodes that give you non-damaging debuffs. For example, a while ago there was a node that gave you weakness debuffs if you were close to the opponents. If you have suicides on, those debuffs help to keep your draining health in check while the masteries let you outdamage the damage-mitigation.

So, all in all, a worthwhile investment if you play these game modes a lot. Even if you don't end up using them all the time, they are still extremely potent when the situation calls for them.