Opinion: BattleRealm Brawl had a lot more potential if not for the lackluster qualification format

ValueGamingValueGaming Member Posts: 14
Competitive selection in a game mode that itself isn't particularly competitive or sportslike doesn't realy look meaningful. Unlike the vast majority of even a little known competitive games, where almost 100% of players have the same initial conditions, in BG ~99.85%[*] players are cut off immediately by paywall, essentially losing the fair chance to compete for the first places. Of those ~0.15% that are still left a few orders of magnitude less have the time and dedication to actually compete.I think the number of real participants is indicated by the fact that at the time of writing the post at ~55th place in the ladder was a player with 3 r5 and no r2, after that I think there are no real contenders.
*Why I think so: imagine if in some CS, MK, Dota or any other one of the participants of the first tier 5 will get even 5-10% stat boost - it will be annihilation of ladder without any chances. In BG, one rank advantage gives +-20% stat gain in attack and the same in defense, which can actually be summed up. So to consider players who can't win with humongous ~40% advantage in stats as real contenders is ridiculous.

Which leaves us essentially a dubious competition among 50-100 people to identify the top 10 and it is unfortunately evident by the skills of people in the top 10 who stream their matches. I don't want to offend them in any way, but in no competitive game will you ever see so many mistakes at the top level, from inaccuracies in almost every fight, to serious blunders with throwing out a round or match once every few games. I think there are plenty of people in the game who have a higher skill set (like that dude from 55th place for example), but just can't fairly compete against this guys because of a built-in stat disadvantage. And as a cherry on the cake, even of those who passed the best player will not be at the tournament. And this is with the fact that people in general are not particularly interested in the mode now, more than half of the empty seats in VT is evidence of that.

What alternatives could there have been? I think there are two ways. Competitiveness aside: it's competition by stat equalization or the fun as I think the idea of limiting to 5* characters, which would increase the number of people actually competing. But obviously neither is possible because it doesn't sell new shiny things.

Another one I think is more successful and realistic is to just call all the most famous Influencers to the tournament. Since there is no competition, it would at least add character, fun and epicness. Plus it could create additional promotion of the tournament, content participants on their preparation

Comments

• zernixzernix Member Posts: 82

And this is with the fact that people in general are not particularly interested in the mode now, more than half of the empty seats in VT is evidence of that.

I feel like the lack of people in Glad Circuit isn't because people aren't interested but more because of how they changed the VT and match making.

Most seasons I make it to GC but I'm feeling a little stuck in Vibranium 3.
  • Viper198787Viper198787 Member Posts: 597 ★★★★
    Battlegrounds itself feels like a meaningless slog. The concept is fine but the execution just seems meh. I got to GC last season and it felt ok, but this season just feels terrible. I think I just made it to Gold 3. The nodes combined with the added grind just don’t feel worth it at all to play.
  • laserjohn26laserjohn26 Member Posts: 1,538 ★★★★★
    I can assure you the best players are the ones finishing in the top 10 every season, not your friends stuck in silver claiming they are better, but just don't have as good of a roster.
  • Dab_westDab_west Member Posts: 174 ★★
    So u want people to use 5 stars to qualify which is a star level that no one wants to rank up these days. Yes very smart
  • ValueGamingValueGaming Member Posts: 14
    Dab_west said:

So u want people to use 5 stars to qualify which is a star level that no one wants to rank up these days. Yes very smart

By "nobody," you mean who? You? Don't generalize your fantasies to everyone. People were just ranking up 1* characters when the new arena came out. Did anyone need them before that? It all comes down to whether the rewards are worth it or not. Especially since everyone who is even slightly active has an overflow full of resources to 5* rank up. Even in the text I mentioned it in passing and said it's just a fun idea that we won't see in our lifetime. But for you it became the main idea of the text. Yes very smart

• ShivacruxShivacrux Member Posts: 424 ★★★

Dab_west said:

By "nobody," you mean who? You? Don't generalize your fantasies to everyone. People were just ranking up 1* characters when the new arena came out. Did anyone need them before that? It all comes down to whether the rewards are worth it or not. Especially since everyone who is even slightly active has an overflow full of resources to 5* rank up. Even in the text I mentioned it in passing and said it's just a fun idea that we won't see in our lifetime. But for you it became the main idea of the text. Yes very smart

Yeah basically ranking up a 5* and 1* requires same gold,and gold is in abundance nowadays