**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Upgrade to Arena Crystals

Darkness275Darkness275 Posts: 819 ★★★★
Currently, there are three classifications of Arena Crystals.

Regular, Uncollected and Thronebreaker.

Instead of introducing Paragon arena crystals when the next rank comes out, what about providing higher tier players with a discount on the existing crystals? Thronebreakers would be able to buy Uncollected and Regular crystals at a discounted price, Paragons can buy Thronebreaker crystals at a discounted price, etc.

Comments

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,689 Guardian

Currently, there are three classifications of Arena Crystals.

Regular, Uncollected and Thronebreaker.

Instead of introducing Paragon arena crystals when the next rank comes out, what about providing higher tier players with a discount on the existing crystals? Thronebreakers would be able to buy Uncollected and Regular crystals at a discounted price, Paragons can buy Thronebreaker crystals at a discounted price, etc.

Not a chance. Arena crystals contain, among other things, units. Units are not a progression-escalating currency. In other words, higher progression players do not, in general, get units at a discounted rate from other players.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,483 ★★★★
    With the exception of the rarity of the punisher those crystals are all exactly the same per battlechip.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,689 Guardian

With the exception of the rarity of the punisher those crystals are all exactly the same per battlechip.

The TB crystal is very slightly different, because they did not want to scale energy from 5 refills to 25 refills and leave a player with a giant pile of energy they couldn't use before it expired. So they made energy 10 refills instead, and bumped up the chance for it to drop. Which required shuffling around the other odds to compensate, so gold is slightly less likely to drop. So they bumped up the amount of the gold drops (specifically I think the lowest common drop) and with rounding they average slightly more than 5x the UC crystals.

You would need to buy a lot of TB crystals to statistically notice the difference. I've opened 720 so far, and I don't think that is enough.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,483 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

The TB crystal is very slightly different, because they did not want to scale energy from 5 refills to 25 refills and leave a player with a giant pile of energy they couldn't use before it expired. So they made energy 10 refills instead, and bumped up the chance for it to drop. Which required shuffling around the other odds to compensate, so gold is slightly less likely to drop. So they bumped up the amount of the gold drops (specifically I think the lowest common drop) and with rounding they average slightly more than 5x the UC crystals.

You would need to buy a lot of TB crystals to statistically notice the difference. I've opened 720 so far, and I don't think that is enough.
    I did not know that. I appreciate you passing this info along.
  • Options
    Smokely7Smokely7 Posts: 174 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

@DNA3000 have you tracked the units drop rates? I've done 100 recently and was at 5%....
  • Options
    Smokely7 said:

DNA3000 said:

@DNA3000 have you tracked the units drop rates? I've done 100 recently and was at 5%....
    Since February 2020, yes.

I switched from UC crystals to TB crystals (basically when they came out) in May of 2021. Since then I have opened 720 TB crystals. In those crystals I have seen 105 unit drops, 63 of the small ones (375 units) and 42 of the larger ones (1125 units).

That would be 14.6% of all drops. The stated drop rate for units is 15%. This is well within the margin for error for this volume of measured drops. You'd expect the measured drop rate to be 108 +- 10 most of the time if the drop rate was actually 15%, and 105 is well within the 98 to 118 expected range.

Has the rate changed over time? Well:

If it has, not by enough to be visible in the data.

Here's another look at the data: 720 TB crystals over two and a quarter years, with unit drops highlighted:

If you actually saw a drop rate of 5%, that sounds highly unusual but maybe not impossible. I've had batches of twenty with only one unit drop, and I had a stretch of 60 crystals with only four drops. But I've never had anything close to a stretch of a hundred crystals with only five drops. Across 720 TB crystals and 2200 UC crystals the worst stretch of a hundred crystals I can find is I think nine.
  • Options
    Smokely7Smokely7 Posts: 174 ★★
    Thanks for the data. Guess I'll stick with them and hopefully it'll get better. (I am aware of gamblers fallacy)