**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

What Buffs count as Buffs?

I put an Absorbing Man featured team together, for fun, using Titania and Lady Thor. I chose this path in AQ thinking Titania would work with Unblockable, unstoppable, and indestructible. Venom had at least 6 buffs going when they triggered but no damage. Are these not considered buffs? Am I done in this AQ? Can I stack buffs on AM or JF?

Comments

• Options
    Viper198787Viper198787 Posts: 466 ★★★
    Cosmic champs will be your best bet for buffed up. It should say in their abilities whether they trigger buffs or passives.
  • Options
    FantomaxopFantomaxop Posts: 132 ★★

I put an Absorbing Man featured team together, for fun, using Titania and Lady Thor. I chose this path in AQ thinking Titania would work with Unblockable, unstoppable, and indestructible. Venom had at least 6 buffs going when they triggered but no damage. Are these not considered buffs? Am I done in this AQ? Can I stack buffs on AM or JF?

Her Unstoppable, Unblockable and Indestructible are considered passive effects. The difference is that passive effects have different interactions with nullify and fateseal-type of effects.
  • Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,279 ★★★★★
    Every buff is a buff.
    Buff is usually the name we give to beneficial effect that are active, meaning can interact with nullify for example.
    Passive beneficial effect don't interact with nullify, like Titania effects.
    Debuff is the name we give to a disadvantageous effect that is active, meaning it can be purified for example. Passive disadvantageous effect cannot be purified, like White mag passive stun, doom heavy stun, AA neuro, etc
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,459 ★★★★★
    edited October 2023

I think I got it. Just so I’m sure I understand, for future reference, passives don’t count when a given node requires any type of buff. If a node needs x amount of buffs, any champ that has those passively and doesn’t gain them won’t necessarily be effective for that node. Like Hulk with fury?

Hulks fury's are passive.
    Gamora's Precision and Furys are buffs.

If you want to use a champ that doesn't have aot of buffs, you can use Odin's prefights to give most champs 3 buffs to work with.

Champs like Spider Man 2099 or Titania can't be used because they are buff immune.
  • Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,279 ★★★★★
    Yes. Hulks fury are passive fury, not active
  • Options
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 19,010 Guardian
    xLunatiXx said:

Buff is usually the name we give to beneficial effect that are active, meaning can interact with nullify for example.

That's not what "active" means in this game. That's something people kinda made up a long time ago and still shows up sometimes to refer to "the opposite of a passive effect" back when people did not understand how effects worked. However, in MCOC there is no such thing as the opposite of a passive effect.

"Active" when describing an effect means "it is on." Titania's unstoppable is a passive effect that activates when she performs a dash, second medium, or charges heavy. When that passive effect activates it is active. When it expires, it goes away. It is no longer active.

"Buff" "Debuff" and "Passive" are effect types. We could have just called them type 1, type 2, and type 3. There would be no such thing really as "the opposite of type 3." The best way to think about it is that Buff, Debuff, and Passive are colors like red, green, and blue. Effects have a color. Some are Buff-colored, some are Debuff-colored, and some are Passive-colored.

Traditionally in many games the terms "Buff" and "Debuff" are generic terms to refer to beneficial and detrimental effects. However, this is not completely universal, and it is often the case that different games will invent different terminology to refer to how their games work. In this game, "Buff" and "Debuff" are not colloquial terms. They are strict technical terms that refer to a very specific technical thing.

This is all language specific to effects. The stuff that happens to things. When it comes to Abilities which are the stuff that champions have that they can use to do things, similar terminology is used to refer to different things. A "passive effect" is an effect that is tagged as Passive, period. A "passive ability" is an ability that is always on, to distinguish them from "non-passive abilities" which are not always on. For example, a champion's Special 1 attack is not a passive ability. It is not always on. It must be activated, in this case by the player.

There is no such thing as the opposite of a passive effect. It is not "active effect" because that specifically means "an effect that is currently on." There is such a thing as the opposite of a passive ability, but that is also not "active ability." Rather, it is just "non-passive ability." An active ability is an ability that is currently active. Essentially, a passive ability is an ability that is always active.
  • Options
    Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    there is no active effect in a sense. active just means a particular effect is active.
    there is no such thing as a passive buff.
    a buff is a buff and a passive is a passive.

positive effects are 2 categories;

buffs - which are generally defined by the wording buff in description and have the visual appearance of a white circle around them. these can be (unless otherwise stated by abilities) nullified, staggered, neutralized and fatesealed and prevented by buff immunity. and will trigger things like buffet and power snack nodes as these are triggered by buffs.

passives - these abilities are generally described as passive abilities and are visually depicted with a solid colour circle. these can not be nullified, staggered fate sealed or prevented by buff immunity, and will not trigger things like buffet or power snack.

negative effects are 2 categories;

debuffs - are generally described as such and are shown with a white circle around them. these can be purified, cleansed, shrugged off and will trigger willpower. these will also trigger nodes like masochism and conflictor.

passives - are generally described as such and visualized by a solid colour circle. these can not be cleansed, shrugged, purified and will not trigger willpower. these will not trigger nodes like masochism and conflictor.