Battlegrounds Farming is No Longer Allowed

PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,385 ★★★★★
Looks like Jax just posted an announcement.

The silver lining is that at least now we won’t have to see the complaints flooding forums by those uncollected, cav, TB accounts (who were btw actually benefiting from the free wins as well).

Comments

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,807 ★★★★★

this change doesn't address cheating because it's not cheating, it's optimizing the use of elder's marks.

Don't worry officer, I'm not stealing this money, I'm optimizing it since it's just sitting here in the bank.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,382 ★★★★★
    Lovejoy72 said:

this change doesn't address cheating because it's not cheating, it's optimizing the use of elder's marks.

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more
    3. chose between solo event and your rank in gladiator circuit

let's address the other ACTUAL forms of cheating that were PROPERLY addressed

matching with your alt to farm points:

solution: punish it

cost to the cheaters: have to play against ACTUAL players instead of yourself. good change. you can't give yourself free wins.

declining matches to maintain top leaderboard positions:

cost to the cheaters: play more? no. spend more? no.

alliance war shelling:

cost to the cheaters: play more? no. still have to plan, still have to play 12 wars. spend more? some would say yes, shelling gave easier competition, but not necessarily. you still have to boost and heal and the competition isn't THAT much different.

notice anything different with the banning of farming and the other things? it's the ONLY change that generates income and demands more time.

kabam: "we're uh...fixing this cheating thing by making you play a lot more and spend a lot more."

is this fixing cheating or just padding kabam's bank account and wasting everyone's time? awful awful change. people don't have time, units, or patience for this.

You don't make the rules here, they do. If they say it's unfair play then it's unfair play lol I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to process and accept that.

As for matching with your alts, they have already banned people for that, and you rarely see people doing it in GC now for that same reason.
    The authority to make rules and having the privilege of deciding what is unfair play are very different things. One they can make in any arbitrary sense that they want, the other I’m going to need to see some transparency, and and a real argument.
    Jax was very clear when he edited the post and he explained the reason behind making farming against the rules and calling it unfair play, it's not rocket science. What other explanation do you guys want?
  • KTPrimalKTPrimal Member Posts: 121
    People went from "it's pvp!, it's competitive, it's a competition" to complaining about the mode having boundaries, rules, and regulations set to reflect it being a competitive mode. Hope changing the queue fee to costing tokens, or rp in GC, is next.
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Member Posts: 1,858 ★★★★

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

cost to the cheaters: have to play against ACTUAL players instead of yourself. good change. you can't give yourself free wins.

alliance war shelling:

cost to the cheaters: play more? no. still have to plan, still have to play 12 wars. spend more? some would say yes, shelling gave easier competition, but not necessarily. you still have to boost and heal and the competition isn't THAT much different.

notice anything different with the banning of farming and the other things? it's the ONLY change that generates income and demands more time.

kabam: "we're uh...fixing this cheating thing by making you play a lot more and spend a lot more."

is this fixing cheating or just padding kabam's bank account and wasting everyone's time? awful awful change. people don't have time, units, or patience for this.

You don't make the rules here, they do. If they say it's unfair play then it's unfair play lol I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to process and accept that.

As for matching with your alts, they have already banned people for that, and you rarely see people doing it in GC now for that same reason.
    The authority to make rules and having the privilege of deciding what is unfair play are very different things. One they can make in any arbitrary sense that they want, the other I’m going to need to see some transparency, and and a real argument.
    Jax was very clear when he edited the post and he explained the reason behind making farming against the rules and calling it unfair play, it's not rocket science. What other explanation do you guys want?
    The bummer here is that I probably won’t get punished for throwing matches in bronze. That does seem to be what’s going on, though no promises. But because of the reward structure that they are putting out now, I have to get to the GC. Some thing I avoid. Which means I am going to seed into platinum next time, where even my inoffensive throwing every match might get banned, It’s just not clear. Which means I either have to play a way that I hate, or leave the entire ally structure the compels me to do so. These are not choices I am happy to making something that is supposed to be a game.
    Dukenpuke said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

HIs post very clearly says that losing on purpose to gain a competitive advantage against weaker players is not fair play.

There are people (like me) that lose on purpose because they don't want to play BGs at all, but don't want to punish their alliance mates by handicapping them against in the alliance event by contributing no points. I will start and end the season in Bronze 3, spending all 9000 elder's marks I've banked (and any more gained from milestones) on free afk wins for my opponents, gaining 2650 points per loss. That should result in roughly 360k BG points for my alliance.

I'm not gaining a competitive advantage or trying to manipulate matching for any benefit. I'm just trying to farm points to help my alliance without having to play a game mode that I despise.
    Yeah yours is a completely different situation and I 100% understand, unfortunately I really don't think there's a way to fix that. There's always collateral damage when they make changes like this one.

Dukenpuke said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

HIs post very clearly says that losing on purpose to gain a competitive advantage against weaker players is not fair play.

There are people (like me) that lose on purpose because they don't want to play BGs at all, but don't want to punish their alliance mates by handicapping them against in the alliance event by contributing no points. I will start and end the season in Bronze 3, spending all 9000 elder's marks I've banked (and any more gained from milestones) on free afk wins for my opponents, gaining 2650 points per loss. That should result in roughly 360k BG points for my alliance.

I'm not gaining a competitive advantage or trying to manipulate matching for any benefit. I'm just trying to farm points to help my alliance without having to play a game mode that I despise.
    Yeah yours is a completely different situation and I 100% understand, unfortunately I really don't think there's a way to fix that. There's always collateral damage when they make changes like this one.
    He plays exactly the way that I play, and that is exactly my same problem. Which means at least two of us just on the forums.
    Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

The bummer here is that I probably won’t get punished for throwing matches in bronze. That does seem to be what’s going on, though no promises. But because of the reward structure that they are putting out now, I have to get to the GC. Some thing I avoid. Which means I am going to seed into platinum next time, where even my inoffensive throwing every match might get banned, It’s just not clear. Which means I either have to play a way that I hate, or leave the entire ally structure the compels me to do so. These are not choices I am happy to making something that is supposed to be a game.
    Yeah that sucks, unfortunately a lot of people abused this last time we had extra milestones so I don't really see them fixing it in such a way that it harms farmers but not people who deliberately lose for other reasons and aren't actually ruining the game for other people.
  • DukenpukeDukenpuke Member Posts: 658 ★★★

Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

Yeah that sucks, unfortunately a lot of people abused this last time we had extra milestones so I don't really see them fixing it in such a way that it harms farmers but not people who deliberately lose for other reasons and aren't actually ruining the game for other people.
    I said this on a different post, but I think a good solution would be to only punish players that "lose on purpose" in platinum 2 and above. Due to the way matchmaking works before then (there's already selective matching below Plat 2), you're not gaining any competitive advantage from losing on purpose, so you shouldn't be punished for doing so.

So Jax, one more edit if you please. Just change it to say "Anyone who loses on purpose in Plat 2 or above will be considered cheating." It's not going to appease the players that are trying to do what you guys are specifically trying to stop, but at least it won't punish players like me for "Santabagging."
  • PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,385 ★★★★★
    So there hasnt been any communication regarding how they’re willing to compensate for doing this with extra points or marks obtainable ? Or clarification on what counts as bannable? Not even a comment from Miike?
    Polygon said:

So there hasnt been any communication regarding how they’re willing to compensate for doing this with extra points or marks obtainable ? Or clarification on what counts as bannable? Not even a comment from Miike?

Now you want compensation?

Polygon said:

Can you not read? I meant via rewarding more points , for instance in GC or just bumping up points for energy/marks in general.

Ofcourse, regardless of me explaining, you’re just going to think of some nonsense reason to disagree, since you always advocate against what the community wants
    Polygon said:

Hmmm I think I the right question should be are they, not how. We don't even know if they are going to do it yet.
    edited October 2023

Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

Yeah, I appreciate that. With the risk of getting too personal, there is a reason why this one particular bit of rulemaking irritates me. My status quo is spending three days every other week with my wife in her chemo treatments. The other week we spend recovering from chemo. I homeschool my kids, partly from just the emotional burden of their unwell mother. And then I work nights as a hospital supervisor. Being in an Alliance and playing most game modes is an opportunity to sort of feel accomplished, and having something that I do that is enjoyable, and I can control. Where it goes wrong is when The game stress level passes a certain threshold, and it’s suddenly a problem. I had that happen over the summer when I aspired too high in war with an ally trying to get to the top of platinum (plat 3-4 has been ok, plat 1-2 was too much). My wife had to be hospitalized at exactly the same time that I needed to be able to perform, and it was actually distressing. I totally cracked in those fights. I’ve never felt that way about the game before, but it’s amazing what you can get in transference of emotion.

Sadly, the structure of battlegrounds generally falls afoul of that boundary. It takes too long, there are too many tough choices, and it can all go wrong. There’s also a bit of it being PVP, and in particular my age making some of these rapid adaptations more complicated, vs ones I can plan for.

Obviously, is foolish to expect special treatment based on these special circumstances, kabam does not recognize my FMLA. But it is frustrating to have the accommodations I have made for myself get rolled into rules around unethical behavior.
    Dukenpuke said:

Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

I said this on a different post, but I think a good solution would be to only punish players that "lose on purpose" in platinum 2 and above. Due to the way matchmaking works before then (there's already selective matching below Plat 2), you're not gaining any competitive advantage from losing on purpose, so you shouldn't be punished for doing so.

So Jax, one more edit if you please. Just change it to say "Anyone who loses on purpose in Plat 2 or above will be considered cheating." It's not going to appease the players that are trying to do what you guys are specifically trying to stop, but at least it won't punish players like me for "Santabagging."
    I guess that could potentially work yeah, I wouldn't see any issues with it.
    Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

Yeah, I appreciate that. With the risk of getting too personal, there is a reason why this one particular bit of rulemaking irritates me. My status quo is spending three days every other week with my wife in her chemo treatments. The other week we spend recovering from chemo. I homeschool my kids, partly from just the emotional burden of their unwell mother. And then I work nights as a hospital supervisor. Being in an Alliance and playing most game modes is an opportunity to sort of feel accomplished, and having something that I do that is enjoyable, and I can control. Where it goes wrong is when The game stress level passes a certain threshold, and it’s suddenly a problem. I had that happen over the summer when I aspired too high in war with an ally trying to get to the top of platinum (plat 3-4 has been ok, plat 1-2 was too much). My wife had to be hospitalized at exactly the same time that I needed to be able to perform, and it was actually distressing. I totally cracked in those fights. I’ve never felt that way about the game before, but it’s amazing what you can get in transference of emotion.

Sadly, the structure of battlegrounds generally falls afoul of that boundary. It takes too long, there are too many tough choices, and it can all go wrong. There’s also a bit of it being PVP, and in particular my age making some of these rapid adaptations more complicated, vs ones I can plan for.

Obviously, is foolish to expect special treatment based on these special circumstances, kabam does not recognize my FMLA. But it is frustrating to have the accommodations I have made for myself get rolled into rules around unethical behavior.
    Yeah I understand,
    Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

all it does is this:

1. play a lot more
    2. spend a lot more

alliance war shelling:

Yeah sorry to hear that, I completely understand why these changes may hurt some people now. Let's hope they can maybe find a solution to target farmers only, the person above had a decent idea so we'll have to see.
  • VaniteliaVanitelia Member Posts: 438 ★★★
    @Lovejoy72 Appreciate the insight. My mom passed from cancer about 6 years ago. MCOC was an outlet for me during that time too. Keep fighting and doing what you do.

If the only reason you're doing BG's is for the alliance, have you spoke to them about the minimum requirement? If they still require it despite your situation, then it's probably time to look for one that doesn't require the BG push. Seems like there are enough players on your level that can band together to form a no-BG alliance.

You have your priorities in the right order. As an ally, they can ban together and go 29 strong. Would only require about 14k extra per player to make up for your absence in the game mode. You have options that don't risk getting banned.
    Vanitelia said:

@Lovejoy72 Appreciate the insight. My mom passed from cancer about 6 years ago. MCOC was an outlet for me during that time too. Keep fighting and doing what you do.

If the only reason you're doing BG's is for the alliance, have you spoke to them about the minimum requirement? If they still require it despite your situation, then it's probably time to look for one that doesn't require the BG push. Seems like there are enough players on your level that can band together to form a no-BG alliance.

You have your priorities in the right order. As an ally, they can ban together and go 29 strong. Would only require about 14k extra per player to make up for your absence in the game mode. You have options that don't risk getting banned.

I’m on thousand percent sure they would. As with I think many people, the issue is me being willing to ask! Most of us suck at it.
  • DukenpukeDukenpuke Member Posts: 658 ★★★
    Lovejoy72 said:

Vanitelia said:

I’m on thousand percent sure they would. As with I think many people, the issue is me being willing to ask! Most of us suck at it.
    I'm the alliance leader, so I make the rules. However, most of my alliance members want the BG rewards, so if I eliminated the BG requirement or made myself exempt, I'd have mass defections on my hands.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,472 ★★★★★
    Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Can you not read? I meant via rewarding more points , for instance in GC or just bumping up points for energy/marks in general.

Ofcourse, regardless of me explaining, you’re just going to think of some nonsense reason to disagree, since you always advocate against what the community wants
    Ehmm what would be the point of making milestones high if they are going to increase the point gain? Lol

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Ehmm what would be the point of making milestones high if they are going to increase the point gain? Lol
    I assume you haven’t been active on forums to see the myriad of other threads and comments within threads asking for the same thing. Again, it’s because its the highest milestone target we’ve seen being now thrown in a seeded system, which means most of the matches are gonna be in GC against stacked rosters that whaled out on July 4
    edited October 2023
    Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

I assume you haven’t been active on forums to see the myriad of other threads and comments within threads asking for the same thing. Again, it’s because its the highest milestone target we’ve seen being now thrown in a seeded system, which means most of the matches are gonna be in GC against stacked rosters that whaled out on July 4
    I assume you haven't played MCoC that long then, cause every milestone they release is pretty much calculated way ahead of time, like that crystal that gave 19 points on an event.
    They want you to grind GC, live with it.
    A myriad of threads means people start their own thread instead of participating in one that was already active, means nothing really.

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

I assume you haven't played MCoC that long then, cause every milestone they release is pretty much calculated way ahead of time, like that crystal that gave 19 points on an event.
    A myriad of threads means people start their own thread instead of participating in one that was already active, means nothing really.
    You’re completely ignoring the fact that the announcement happened a day before the event , facepalm.
  • KTPrimalKTPrimal Member Posts: 121
    Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

The same that's been told to weaker accounts complaining about matchmaking for a long time applies to those who've been belittling those players now. Why should a player who's not willing to spend, or put the time in, compete with and get similar or better rewards to those who do and will? It is a competition after all.
    Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

You’re completely ignoring the fact that the announcement happened a day before the event , facepalm.
    What announcement? The farming exploit one? So fight with marks in GC, it was dishonest, play it fair, big deal.
  • Shadow_ShooterShadow_Shooter Member Posts: 334 ★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

I don't really have a problem with this, but I am confused as to why it's seen as cheating. Isn't this the same as playing incursions and quitting out after a couple floors and restarting with new champs to grind a 'fights in incursions' milestone? Or using villain champs in RTTL to finish the villain objective this month faster than others? This seemed like a strategy some employed, forfeiting rank rewards in the circuit for rewards in the solo objective or vice versa. It's not like this is some grand exploit. Everyone in every online game ever has dropped a few tiers or dropped the difficulty a notch to get tedious challenges out of the way. Compared to things like pausing and botting, this seems like a non-issue that really does nothing but make people burn out from BGs faster and get unnecessarily paranoid about losing streaks causing them to get banned.

Absolutely this.

You can’t forbid losing in a paid game. There should be some legal implications.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★

Crcrcrc said:

I don't really have a problem with this, but I am confused as to why it's seen as cheating. Isn't this the same as playing incursions and quitting out after a couple floors and restarting with new champs to grind a 'fights in incursions' milestone? Or using villain champs in RTTL to finish the villain objective this month faster than others? This seemed like a strategy some employed, forfeiting rank rewards in the circuit for rewards in the solo objective or vice versa. It's not like this is some grand exploit. Everyone in every online game ever has dropped a few tiers or dropped the difficulty a notch to get tedious challenges out of the way. Compared to things like pausing and botting, this seems like a non-issue that really does nothing but make people burn out from BGs faster and get unnecessarily paranoid about losing streaks causing them to get banned.

Absolutely this.

You can’t forbid losing in a paid game. There should be some legal implications.
    No one is forbidding losing except the people who think they have to cheat the system to win.
    Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Again, why would they compensate with giving more points? Obviously they want the top end rewards to be earned.

You obviously don't want to earn them, you want to take the easy road. You think you're owed the top level rewards because you play the game.

Kabam is obviously trying to make those harder to obtain and not make some cheese way of doing it. You're no better than the cav players who think they shouldn't have told face accounts bigger than themselves.
  • startropicsstartropics Member Posts: 770 ★★★★

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Again, why would they compensate with giving more points? Obviously they want the top end rewards to be earned.

You obviously don't want to earn them, you want to take the easy road. You think you're owed the top level rewards because you play the game.

Kabam is obviously trying to make those harder to obtain and not make some cheese way of doing it.
    someone finally admits it. it's not about cheating or violating the TOS, it's about increasing game-time and cost.

"we're making it illegal to use to your marks wisely. give us more time and money".

Polygon said:

Polygon said:

Kabam is obviously trying to make those harder to obtain and not make some cheese way of doing it.
    someone finally admits it. it's not about cheating or violating the TOS, it's about increasing game-time and cost.

"we're making it illegal to use to your marks wisely. give us more time and money".
    That's not what I said. Lol. Did you hurt yourself with that twisting?