**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Increasing/Decreasing Arena Difficulty - Need helpful explanation

SillyCaitlinSillyCaitlin Posts: 535
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
I've noticed difficulty in versus increases for about 15-20 fights and then gets more manageable, but it's not always consistent (sometimes it takes more battles for the difficulty to drop off, sometimes fewer).

I've had some good 50+ streaks, usually with evenly matched teams after passing the threshold, only to lose it to a team about five time stronger than my own (this happened when putting a team of of 4*s that weren't leveled up much).

Does anyone understand how exactly this works? At what point do your matchups stop getting more difficult (15/20/25 3 vs. 3 wins)? What causes a matchup during a long streak (like 50-100) to suddenly be extremely difficult (like a team ranked 3,500 matched up against a team ranked 25,000)?

Comments

• Options
    DOKTOROKTOPUSDOKTOROKTOPUS Posts: 1,501 ★★★
    i dont understand neither, i just use 4* 4/40 all the time and never lost a round

but yea, rounds 14 to 19 are usually the hardest
  • Options
    There comes a point where you hit "infinite streak". After that point the fights are generally pretty easy. Here's a helpful video by Brian Grant on how to get there :)https://youtu.be/6W9K6Q824ow
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    There comes a point where you hit "infinite streak". After that point the fights are generally pretty easy.

Thanks! I've definitely reached that point, then on fight fifty-something one of my weakest teams of 4*s (about 1,000 each, 3,000 as a team) were put up against a ridiculously strong team (about 6,000 each). I was curious what might cause this to happen after getting well past the threshold.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I was sailing through and it was like what the...? The champs we're similarly rated so I wasn't expecting it at all!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Could using a team of non-maxed 4*s cause the freak matchup described above during a 50+ streak, even if they were all evenly rated?
  • Options
    There comes a point where you hit "infinite streak". After that point the fights are generally pretty easy.

Thanks! I've definitely reached that point, then on fight forty-something one of my weakest teams of 4*s (about 1,000 each, 3,000 as a team) were put up against a ridiculously strong team (about 6,000 each). I was curious what might cause this to happen after getting well past the threshold.

The "threshold" is actually just the point where the rating you need to avoid "death matches" drops from its peak value to a more manageable value. But you are never "guaranteed" to get easy matches. Past the threshold you still need to stay above some PI rating to avoid drawing super strong matches. It is just that past round 15 that value drops and settles down to a relatively low value around round 20.
  • Options
    @DNA3000 Thank you, that's super helpful. Sounds like it's in my best interest not to use weak 4*s then as there's a greater chance of drawing a high rated match.
  • Options
    @DNA3000 Thank you, that's super helpful. Sounds like it's in my best interest not to use weak 4*s then as there's a greater chance of drawing a high rated match.

I should also point out that while there is some variability to it, there isn't an element of chance to this. For every match, there is some invisible unknown but relatively predictable rating that if you are above it you get an easy match and if you are below it you get a hard match, and that's basically guaranteed. It so rarely fails when people are significantly above the known rating limits that its essentially guaranteed.

I'm an arena grinder, I grind hundreds of matches a week. I've heard of one-off random arena fights that are way high even though the player thought they were above the limit, but I've never seen it happen once except when I drifted too close to the known "limits" of how low you can go. These days I don't ever go that low.

One last thing: the precise details of which match requires which rating limit etc are different for the different arena events. And it is not just because some events allow different champs. The t1 alpha event and the T4B event allow the use of the same champions. But the T1 alpha event is "easier" to achieve infinite streak than the T4B one: the specific details are different. Keep that in mind: you have to learn the details for each event separately, although they all work the same way in broad strokes.
  • Options
    Generally speaking if you're grinding the 5* arena you don't want to use any champion below 3/30. In the 4* arena the lowest is a 4/40 3*.. That's juat speaking from my own experience
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,685 ★★★★★
    In the basic arena I try not to use anyone under 2000 PI. When I get greedy and drop below that I end up facing 5/50 teams and its not much fun with R3 3*
  • Options
    phillgreen wrote: »
    In the basic arena I try not to use anyone under 2000 PI. When I get greedy and drop below that I end up facing 5/50 teams and its not much fun with R3 3*

I'm pretty sure it is total PI that matters and not individual champion PI, or else "sandbagging" wouldn't work.

For those not familiar, sandbagging is when you don't have enough high level champs to build a team that can guarantee an easy fight, so you assemble a team with two of the best you got and one that is the worst you got. So you might put an 1800, 1800, 300 team into an arena match. Your total PI is 3900 but if this is lower than what you need the game might hand you a 6000 PI team. But that 6000 PI team is likely to be something like 2000, 2000, 2000. Even if it hands you a 9000 PI team that would likely be 3000, 3000, 3000. One fight is hopeless but the others are more manageable and you only need two wins out of three to continue the streak.