Necro run by the unskilled

2»

Comments

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,829 ★★★★★

Posts like this one plus the one from DNA make me feel like I’m overthinking my completion run and should just get on with it. Also heartening to see there are at least some other community members out there at both my age range and approximate skill level.

Thanks @phillgreen

As another such community member, feel free to follow my progress, too: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/354316/time-for-another-as-it-happens-necropolis-thread

It's taking me 20-30 minutes per fight. However, GM will be a lot longer. And with three small kids and Christmas coming up, I need to get off my phone and starting putting up decorations. So I'm guessing it'll be a 3-4 day grind, maybe five..
  • Soumemiakas1926Soumemiakas1926 Member Posts: 352 ★★★
    I'm going in too. I have 80 or 90 revives i hope they are enough with my ascended r4 Aegon lol.
  • mmartin5817mmartin5817 Member Posts: 93
    When you guys revive are you also adding on potions to heal up? I’m just curious because a 20% revive doesn’t seem enough to get clipped when ramping aegon. I assume if he eats a combo he’s dead regardless of proximas synergy?
  • AecynAecyn Member Posts: 96
    Haha this was a fun read. Your run is almost exactly what I did. Horrible start into getting a groove, then plowing thru dragon man and nova into a pretty bad but still somehow painless grandmaster... Nice work!
  • phillgreenphillgreen Member Posts: 3,969 ★★★★★

When you guys revive are you also adding on potions to heal up? I’m just curious because a 20% revive doesn’t seem enough to get clipped when ramping aegon. I assume if he eats a combo he’s dead regardless of proximas synergy?

If you are having a good run, heal up. If you're getting wrecked and know it'll be an expensive fight, don't waste the pots.
    Aecyn said:

Haha this was a fun read. Your run is almost exactly what I did. Horrible start into getting a groove, then plowing thru dragon man and nova into a pretty bad but still somehow painless grandmaster... Nice work!

Thanks.

Bit weird to be among the "first" to get through it but my inspiration to post was simply to let the other ordinary players know it isn't actually that bad and it's worth having a go but you need to plan.

Anyone out there who isn't sure, make the most of the revive farms before they disappear and grind dem units.

The rewards for doing it before jan 15 are well worth it.

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,489 ★★★★★
    Good job!
    Also, this is my new favorite saying: "I'll preface it by saying if it was raining nymphos I'd get washed down the drain with a bloke.".
  • OmedennOmedenn Member Posts: 890 ★★★
    Thanks for carrying us in the ‘road to the crypt’
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,085 ★★★★★
    I was using a r5 ascended aegon. Using a 40 minute champion boost and 30-minute attack and health boosts, I would get 3 to 3.5 champs every half hour. I have to take breaks when playing. My run broke down like this:

Ramp up aegon against red goblin with no boosts. I think I got 700 combo on this fight. Let’s not talk about revives.

30 minutes through Squirrel Girl.

30 minutes to get halfway through Elsa.

40 to reach Knull (boosts don’t matter for Spidey Supreme. That fight sucked)

Finish.
  • Sunstar19Sunstar19 Member Posts: 163
    Long post but enjoyable to read. I don’t intend to play Necropolis or any Everest content but really enjoyed your light hearted take
  • Mcghee3Mcghee3 Member Posts: 93
    Enjoyed reading that, regardless how many revs it took mate you got it done, congrats mate you'll get the tech u wanna use the gem in eventually
  • Abspain101Abspain101 Member Posts: 175 ★★

Well, I figured screw it.

Boosted up, had my son read GM's abilities with a view to giving me the readers digest version. Gave up when his version confused me more than the original.

Not sure if GM's callouts are bugged but seeing the green txt for a couple of milliseconds then nothing caused me some pain. Switched from phone to Ipad thinking it was some dumb device/platform problem. No dice.

Managed to get GM wounded once. Yep, once. I'm blaming the HUD, otherwise it would've totally been a solo.

The thing with Aegon, the worse you are the better he gets so in the end my strategy was to open with a heavy, take a hit, then go stupid.

The inverted controls wasn't bad, bad being relative to my good play.

Im sure the guy who gets stuck reviewing my necro run will gab the devs and make them look at it, then laugh and say "it took you guys months to make this, and you let this guy run through it playing like that???"

I won't type too much more because I'm sure you're all at the point where you're guessing how many revives it took me based on how bad the path was.

20, 50, 785?

Well, it was 22. A bit of a surprise given my first 5 were basically given away.

MVP for the necro run was clearly 6r4 Juggs, he put in solid work during the last 1% by being unblockable while GM was up against the wall and that provided the opening I needed to throw the SP2 for the win.

Rewards time:

I'll preface it by saying if it was raining nymphos I'd get washed down the drain with a bloke.

I have 11 7* at this point, no techs.

Of course I got a tech 2-3 gem.

I figured I'd open a tech crystal and see how I go, Cap Wilson. Not sure if he good or not but I don't remember a piece of content that made me say "woe is me, I need a capsam"

Threw my hat in the ring again, Guardian. Not bad I guess.

Titan crystal, Chee'ilth.

Upside from all that, I was never going to use the 2-3 gem anyway, I just wanted one to look at. Lets see what 8.4 brings...

130 revives total. Terrible, but I have the title now and no one who doesnt read this will ever know how bad I am, unless its a BG.

You still beat me with less revives and a rank lower aegon than mine lol congrats on the run
  • OakenshieldOakenshield Member Posts: 2,087 ★★★★
    Inspired by @DNA3000 and @phillgreen I began my slacker run tonight.

Spent about 30 minutes slowly ramping up Aegon with Titania - wasn’t really worrying about anything other than getting his counter up and not being stressed about. Used around 20 revives and had his counter at 930 at the end of the fight. Probably could have done with less revives but I had several times that I banked my combo rather than risk it.

After a break to walk the dog with my wife, I set up my masteries, boosted, and jumped in.

Did a 2 hour session and took down everyone up to and including CASW. 50 more revives, so 70 total, but my priority was brute forcing through it as quickly as possible given my limited window due to other obligations. Air Walker wasn’t as bad as I thought he was going to be (still really bad though), CB was a little worse than I thought as was Valkerie. Used a revive or two each on RG and CASW which was my sign that I needed to stop - they could have been solos if I had taken my time/been fresh.

Calling it good for the day - DM first tomorrow which I want to be fresh for. Will probably knock out the final three champs, then take a break before the GrandMaster.

Guessing I’ll be at around 120 revives by the time all is said and done - not pretty - but progress. The good news is that so far I’ve only used my stash and my 4 hour crystals. Will probably need to buy a few revives for GM though.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    The last three on that path - Dragon Man, CAIW, and Nova, are not a major problem for Aegon, so you’re more or less home free until GM. I mean, it’s a question of whether you do them in a couple revives or a dozen revives, but no more road blocks.
    DNA3000 said:

The last three on that path - Dragon Man, CAIW, and Nova, are not a major problem for Aegon, so you’re more or less home free until GM. I mean, it’s a question of whether you do them in a couple revives or a dozen revives, but no more road blocks.

Glad to hear it - thanks!
  • TrashPanda12TrashPanda12 Member Posts: 531 ★★★
    How do I get sig stones quickly to r4 my aegon?
  • Abspain101Abspain101 Member Posts: 175 ★★

Battle grounds store you can get 50 a week for 18k trophy tokens also in the banquet event I think one of the milestones is a +200 sig stones
    edited December 2023
    Ok wrapped my run up. Used about 40 more revives, so 110 total. Dm wasn’t as bad as I thought, Nova was a little worse. GM was about what I expected. Most of the notifications were disappearing nearly instantly, so ended up just brute forcing it. Used my stash only till GM, then spent about 400 units on some revives. So, not feeling bad about that at all.

Glad to be done. My 2-3 gem outcome wasn’t great - got Tech which was my 2nd to last choice, but at least it wasn’t skill. Opened one selected tech - got CASW and decided to wait given today doesn’t seem to be my day opening wise.

Got a tech replacement gem coming from Kabam next week, so we’ll see what that holds. Probably going to use my last selector on Mystic, but may wait until my Jan 15 rewards openings if I don’t get a good tech pull next week.

Thanks again to @DNA3000 and @phillgreen for the inspiration.
  • mmartin5817mmartin5817 Member Posts: 93

Battle grounds store you can get 50 a week for 18k trophy tokens also in the banquet event I think one of the milestones is a +200 sig stones
    The loyalty store you can get 25 sig stones via 5/5+ sigs for 250k loyality
  • acteyleneacteylene Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for this! I never had any intention of trying to do Necropolis, ever. Somehow you made me believe I'd be able to make it through with Aegon and enough revives. Took me some time to build up a stash of revives and health potions to give it a go, but just made it through in time for those extra rewards!
    edited January 14
    Glad to see my ravings and incompetence convinced someone else to have a go. Good job.

I have fully explored it now. Total cost for someone who is no good, around 14000 units. I don't buy them, all saved from arena/calendars /EQ etc etc

My son always asked me why I never bought offers and such and what was the point of stockpiling units, my answer was always that a piece of content will come that is worth spending on. This was it.

Start grinding that arena so you can go again!