Holiday Unit Deals

Twist1298Twist1298 Member Posts: 180
Kabam, I think you are on to something with the Web store holiday deals, and I think you should do these types of deals more regularly. It can definitely drive not only more revenue but it makes sense for Summoners because with the actual economy more for the money is always better.
5,500 units (other deals increased too)for $100 is a can't miss, and having that type of deal at least once a month would be a huge win for players.

Comments

• ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,262 ★★★★★
    Do you even know why it's 5500 units? lol
  • Twist1298Twist1298 Member Posts: 180
    I was speaking from a place of even more units for the money spent, just a suggestion.
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,895 ★★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

It’s not 5500 units lol
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,792 ★★★★★
    Twist1298 said:

I was speaking from a place of even more units for the money spent, just a suggestion.

The Webstore always has more units in the deals than in game.

Twist1298 said:

ahmynuts said:

It’s not 5500 units lol
    That was a typo but yes I understand why and I think it should be done more often, same way that some deals that use to be 24 hrs are now in the game for a entire week.

Twist1298 said:

True but I was speaking specifically about this deal and the larger increase in units for money spent.

• winterthurwinterthur Member Posts: 8,058 ★★★★★
    For a once only availability offer. Which is higher value?

Twist1298 said:

Twist1298 said:

True but I was speaking specifically about this deal and the larger increase in units for money spent.

It's the same general increase. The in-game unit store and Webstore both are 1.5 units right now.

A normal Odin in-game is 3100 units. The Webstore is 3410 for the same $99.

Twist1298 said:

Twist1298 said:

It's the same general increase. The in-game unit store and Webstore both are 1.5 units right now.

It’s a 50% increase in the $99 holiday bundle though, he’s talking about the Odin that gives you 5115 units.

Twist1298 said:

Twist1298 said:

It’s a 50% increase in the $99 holiday bundle though, he’s talking about the Odin that gives you 5115 units.
    Slight correction - the 50% bonus is in game where it gives you 4650. The web store gives the usual extra 10% on top of that to get to the 5115 units on offer.
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,262 ★★★★★

ahmynuts said:

It’s not 5500 units lol
    Yes, i was waiting for OP to explain
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,357 Guardian
    Twist1298 said:

Kabam, I think you are on to something with the Web store holiday deals, and I think you should do these types of deals more regularly. It can definitely drive not only more revenue but it makes sense for Summoners because with the actual economy more for the money is always better.
    5,500 units (other deals increased too)for $100 is a can't miss, and having that type of deal at least once a month would be a huge win for players.

Would it though?

The vast majority of players do not spend, and the majority of players that do spend do not spend all that much. Having these kinds of deals a couple times a year makes them special, and offers special rewards for the players who spend, because most of the time - deliberately so - cash offers do not have outstanding value. This has the effect of periodically rewarding spenders for supporting the game, without dramatically widening the gap between spending and non-spending players.

Who benefits if these types of deals were continuous? Not the 95%+ of players who don't spend. They will see the gap between spending and non-spending widen substantially, and that will make the game more hostile to free to play players. This can have a net negative impact on the game as a whole, that essentially recruits tomorrow's whales from today's free to play players.

Not the low spenders, who will benefit a little, but see a similar gap widen between casual spending and large spending. This can actually cause players to be discouraged from spending, if the gap between low and high spending becomes high enough that it can trivialize the benefits of casual spending.

And even the whales that spend a lot might not benefit as much as you might think. Giving the whales more opportunities to spend lots of money on high value bundles also gives them more opportunities to fall behind the other whales if they don't keep up. Some of them won't mind spending tons more, but having these deals constantly could push many over the edge. Whales don't get anything of any absolute value for their spending. All they get is a relative advantage in the game that depreciates rapidly over time and is mostly only useful when compared to other whales. They are spending to win a race among other spenders, and giving all of them jetpacks doesn't make the race easier. It just increases the probability that more of them will splatter themselves into the road before the finish line.

It seems like an easy thing: just give more stuff and everyone will be happy. But stuff in this game is relative. If everyone has more, no one does. Whenever you change something in the monetization of the game, you create winners and losers, and you have to consider not just how much you will benefit from the winners, but also what you might stand to lose from the losers.

Twist1298 said:

Twist1298 said:

Slight correction - the 50% bonus is in game where it gives you 4650. The web store gives the usual extra 10% on top of that to get to the 5115 units on offer.
    That's what I was saying... They're the same offers regardless of it being holiday offers or not.