Options

Does leveling up a relic increase its damage or spirit gain?

jdschwjdschw Posts: 202 ★★
I have looked through all the documentation I can find on relics, and I can't find an answer for this question. As far as I can tell from the docs and in-game info, the *only* purpose of leveling up a relic is to increase the maximum level of the rune slots.

This makes a big difference in determining whether I want to level certain relics, because I have plenty of relics where the runes are not particularly useful, but it would be worth it to level them up if it made them hit harder or gain spirit faster.

Does anybody know the answer to this question? Or where I could find the answer?

Comments

• Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,820 ★★★★★
    Leveling up the rune slots increases the numbers associated with that rune slot though.
  • Options
    Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. My question is about *ranking up* the relic, not just leveling the rune slots.

To restate: Does ranking up a relic increase the relic's damage or spirit gain rate?
  • Options
    Viper198787Viper198787 Posts: 463 ★★★
    I’m not sure about the damage but I think the spirit gauge only increases at higher rarities, not ranks. I’m sure someone else can correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t know a whole lot about relics.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,820 ★★★★★
    jdschw said:

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. My question is about *ranking up* the relic, not just leveling the rune slots.

To restate: Does ranking up a relic increase the relic's damage or spirit gain rate?

My point still stands though. Ranking up the relic allows you to add more levels to the rune slots. Rank 1 maxes at lvl 10. Rank 2 is level 20 etc.
  • Options
    Buttehrs said:

jdschw said:

My point still stands though. Ranking up the relic allows you to add more levels to the rune slots. Rank 1 maxes at lvl 10. Rank 2 is level 20 etc.
    Yep, that makes sense. My situation is that I have a lot of relics right now where the rune slot levels really don't matter. So I'm wondering if there is any reason, other than the rune slots, to rank up the relic.
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    jdschw said:

Buttehrs said:

jdschw said:

Yep, that makes sense. My situation is that I have a lot of relics right now where the rune slot levels really don't matter. So I'm wondering if there is any reason, other than the rune slots, to rank up the relic.
    Yes ranking the relic increases what ever the relic does... for most relics. Look at the main relic screen that describes the relic purpose. The green number increase with relic rank. Try it out on a 3-star relic.
  • Options
    Right, that's what gets me...the actual hit strength is not a green number, and it doesn't seem to increase when I rank up the relic. For example, take a look at this pic:
  • Options
    FeuerschwerFeuerschwer Posts: 316 ★★
    Ranking up the relic does improve the striker ability-either increased potency, or for one like Black Widow, increased duration of the effect. Not sure about spirit gain, but I don’t think damage is affected, it should just be based on the attack of the equipped champ.
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    edited January 3
    jdschw said:

Right, that's what gets me...the actual hit strength is not a green number, and it doesn't seem to increase when I rank up the relic. For example, take a look at this pic:

My rank 2 BW Relic has beeper duration of 6.96s. Perhaps it changes once the rank up occurs. The maximum beeper time is 7.45s

I don't know what is going on with attack. My r2 relic is 672 which is less than your r1 relic.
  • Options
    I think the attack value is based on the champ, so my relic might have a stronger attack because i have it on my r4 ascended nick...but that's just a guess. I wish there was better documentation.