AQ energy change to BG pool

SpagNidusSpagNidus Member Posts: 52
edited January 26 in Suggestions and Requests
I've been thinking about this for a long time.

The issue I am trying to address is the abundance and scarcity of energy that can often occur when playing with people from multiple time zones. Often i can finish the map and have full energy left over while other parts of my BG are struggling to have enough to finish their paths in the last 6 hours of AQ because of the time zone they are in.

My Idea is to remove energy per player and make AQ energy a pool for the entire BG. The Balance for this is the most difficult overall, but I think its doable. I would start off with 60 energy available for the BG at the start, 10 people with 6 energy each like we have now. Then the bg gains 1 energy every 45 minutes(same as now) for each person that has joined that day, capped again at 60.

Pros:
- This is essentially the energy available to everyone right now if everyone joins and moves immediately and rejoins every 4.5 hours (that's full refill right now) and drains their energy.
- No matter when you join there's likely to be energy available to complete a path in each section.
- This makes short inner paths balance better with the (very) long outer paths found on maps 5-8.
- this builds a sense of teamwork that has been lost in AQ, understandably, from the removal of links. Yet it isn't a punishment like links were.
- Incredibly flexible for people with unpredictable schedules, and in various time zones.

Cons:
- First person to join could theoretically blaze all the way to the boss, using up all of the energy and stranding the BG on the start node for a while.
- some might say this trivializes the content, i don't agree but it will probably be said.

Alternatives I have considered:
Instead of completely stripping personal energy, any excess energy above your 6 cap goes into a pool for use by the rest of the bg.

Design counter to the first Con: put a cap on how much energy can be spent from the BG pool at once. Unfortunately this is counter productive to the entire idea but perhaps make it 10 or 12 and refreshes with each energy gained? e.g. i join spend my cap of the 60 (lets say 12) 45 minutes later i can dive in again and spend another 12, depending on how many people joined in that time there would still be plenty of energy for everyone.

All the numbers are malleable in this idea, for balance. I'd like just the general concept that energy doesn't get wasted for those that are on the shorter paths and painstakingly accrued for those on the outer/longer paths.

Comments

• SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,279 Guardian
    edited January 26
    Imagine logging in to AQ to do your path, and **NO ALLIANCE ENERGY AVAILABLE**.
    Even if you limit using energy to xx many at a time by single person, several ppl getting on and each doing that could still drain everything for anyone else.

AQ is not meant for someone to log in just 1 time each day and complete everything on their path all at once.

———
    AQ / AW has already been changed numerous times to make it easier and easier to complete (even if everyone is in completely different timezones).

** Your initial Energy used to be less at the start of the day. (and I believe Max Energy used to be 1 less as well, been a very long time since these were changed)

** Time needed to earn next Energy used to be much longer.

** Linked nodes to Minibosses and Bosses used to prevent (or at least discourage) teams from getting past them until most Links have been removed.