**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Howard the duck prefight button?

JockJonnyJockJonny Posts: 237 ★★
Pulled a 7 star duck. Actually really like playing him. With the sound off haha

I find it annoying tho to do the pre fight thing every time.

Is there ever a scenario that you would NOT want the pre fight activated??

Shouldn't this just be on all the time??

Comments

• Options
    mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
    I've wondered that myself, and the only scenario I can come up is if you're forced to use him on some kind of node that punishes buffs.

Then I remind myself that there's plenty of champs that are immune to buffs completely, so it's hard to imagine he'd ever be my first choice for a node like that.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    edited January 30
    You can ramp him faster manually.
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,972 ★★★★★
    Technically you can get more furies manually, but it is too painful for the effort.
  • Options
    Hmm I didn’t realize you can get more manually. Will have to play around with that but I’m guessing the only time you would opt for that is abyss type content with huge health pools
  • Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,146 ★★★★★
    With auto you get 3 furies during a parry.
    With manual you can easily get 5. That's more than 50% increase.

The only time you should press auto is in war because of limber or vs nodes reducing parry duration etc.
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 970 ★★★
    More often than not, I use auto mash. Wish the prefight toggled to manual with auto mash the default. I often forget to enable it TBH.

But maybe a majority of HtD players prefer manual to auto mash? IDK.
  • Options
    JockJonny said:

Is there ever a scenario that you would NOT want the pre fight activated??

There aren't many scenarios where I want it on
  • Options
    Sorry I’m little slow but I’m still not getting it.

Just went in and tested him out.

Prefight selected I gain 4 furies with each parry and 4 armour ups

Without pre fight I only gain 2 furies with each parry and only 2 armour ups

How is he better without? What am I missing?
  • Options
    Ahh I just realized what I was missing. Mashing the button after a parry gives the extra furies

I gotta say tho for maybe one extra fury if your fast enough I think the auto mash is still the way to go unless I’m still missing something
  • Options
    You don't have to use manual mash if you don't like it, that's why Auto Mash is there. But, it is intentionally significantly stronger - otherwise, there would be no reason for the function to exist.
  • Options
    Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Posts: 768 ★★★★
    Does Howard’s prefight lock you in or do you have to select it every fight?

I know Omega Sentinel and Scorpion you have to pick every fight but Absorbing Man starts in Magma form every fight after you pick it once in a quest. Would locking Howard’s in like absorbing man help?

I’d also be curious how much difference it makes. If someone had the time and is good with the manual mashing, running 5 fights with manual and 5 fights with auto against the same defender and tracking it would be interesting to see in terms of time and number of hits.
  • Options
    Considering prefights are often buggy, and even Howards armor up was bugged for so long, I wouldn't touch any working prefight. If it's working don't touch it policy.
    Plus manual is the most efficient way of playing him so it's fine if it's the default mode.
  • Options

You don't have to use manual mash if you don't like it, that's why Auto Mash is there. But, it is intentionally significantly stronger - otherwise, there would be no reason for the function to exist.

Sorry for flogging this horse haha

I still don’t get it. How is it “significantly” stronger??

From what I see you may get one extra fury 5 instead of 4?
    but also two less armour ups ?
  • Options
    Isn't it 3 furies in auto? At least 5 in manual.
    For armor ups in manual you can have easily 6
  • Options
    Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 401 ★★★
    JockJonny said:

Here's a manual mash test I just did.

7 armors instead of instead of 5 is a 40% increase, which is very significant. Every single parry gives 5 instead of 4, which means the furies ramp 25% faster. If you want to auto mash that's fine, but you should know what you're passing on
  • Options
    JockJonny said:

Please do not flog horses, that is not nice to the horse.

In Manual, you could consistently get up to 6 furies. In auto, half the time you get 4... the other half 3.
    The normal cap is 50, so this would require roughly 8 parries to hit the cap - as opposed to needing to parry 13 times.

Requiring 5 fewer parries to fully ramp is pretty significant, and even more so in shorter fights where reaching +/- 30 furies is all you need to close out the fight. The time difference & chip damage mitigated from the extra 3 Armor Buffs could be the deciding factor of who wins the round in Battlegrounds.
  • Options
    Ahh I understand now. Thx guys for taking the time to school this duck noob haha. Much appreciated

I never had him as a 6 star even so I literally never used him before

Cheers
  • Options
    Any time, big man - welcome to the club 🦆
  • Options
    Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 401 ★★★
    edited January 30
    >(.)__
      (___/
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,972 ★★★★★
    JockJonny said:

Start pressing thr screen when Howard is running towards the opponent at beginning of match
  • Options
    UnobtainiumClawsUnobtainiumClaws Posts: 197 ★★
    Tapping furiously every fight gets old quickly. I rather have auto mash on and trade a fury (or two) for three (or four) armor breaks. Howard the Duck doesn’t get talked about enough. He’s great fun in Incursion and AQ map 8 path 8.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,394 ★★★★
    xLunatiXx said:

The only time you should press auto is in war because of limber or vs nodes reducing parry duration etc.

Umm, gaining 5 over 3 isn't over 50% increase, my dude..

In fact, it's not even 50%.. lol

But aside from the math being a touch off, and the fact I never knew there was an increase with manual mash versus auto mash, the duck is awesome and I hope I pull him out of my loyalty crystal!
  • Options
    Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Posts: 768 ★★★★
    50% of 3 is 1.5.

1.5 + 3 = 4.5

5>4.5

So more than a 50% increase.
  • Options

xLunatiXx said:

But aside from the math being a touch off, and the fact I never knew there was an increase with manual mash versus auto mash, the duck is awesome and I hope I pull him out of my loyalty crystal!
    I knew education system in the USA was bad but not that bad.
  • Options
    xLunatiXx said:

xLunatiXx said:

I knew education system in the USA was bad but not that bad.
    First, I was half asleep.
    Second, I'm mot from the stated.

3rd, you're gaining 3 regardless of the prefight, so gaining an extra 2 on top of that, would that not make it around 40%?

Or am I just not understanding how the math works?

In my head 50% would be another 3.

I haven't been in high school in 25+ years, my dude, so I can't remember how that works.
  • Options
    Read Drago von Drago comment please.
    That's how maths work.
    Another 3, meaning doubling, would be 100%
  • Options
    xLunatiXx said:

Read Drago von Drago comment please.
    That's how maths work.
    Another 3, meaning doubling, would be 100%

Just did. Now I get it.😎
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,307 ★★★★★

50% of 3 is 1.5.

1.5 + 3 = 4.5

5>4.5

Your math is right if you are looking at whole numbers. But with diminishing returns, it doesn’t really work that way if I understand it right. I am no DNA so excuse me if it’s wrong but compared to baseline(assuming he has zero armor rating)
    First armor-100%
    Second armor-50%
    Third armor-33.3%
    Fourth armor-25%
    Fifth armor-20%
    So adding fourth and fifth armor only gives you an additional 45% armor from what you already have at 3 armor ups. Which is less than 50%.
  • Options
    Graves_3 said:

50% of 3 is 1.5.

1.5 + 3 = 4.5

5>4.5

Your math is right if you are looking at whole numbers. But with diminishing returns, it doesn’t really work that way if I understand it right. I am no DNA so excuse me if it’s wrong but compared to baseline(assuming he has zero armor rating)
    First armor-100%
    Second armor-50%
    Third armor-33.3%
    Fourth armor-25%
    Fifth armor-20%
    So adding fourth and fifth armor only gives you an additional 45% armor from what you already have at 3 armor ups. Which is less than 50%.
    That's how I was figuring it worked as well.

@DNA3000, any insight?
  • Options
    Graves_3 said:

50% of 3 is 1.5.

1.5 + 3 = 4.5

5>4.5

First armor-100%
    Second armor-50%
    Third armor-33.3%
    Fourth armor-25%
    Fifth armor-20%
    You're right about armor up. Each new ones has less of an impact. They all give the same armor rating but armor rating doesn't scale linearly.

However in the example above he was referring to furies. Diminishing returns does not apply to attack rating I believe. Only to resistance, armor (up and break).