Dust… can fight glancing?

SkyfawSkyfaw Member Posts: 198 ★★
I have a question regarding her ability to punish glancing.

As it says above she places sand debuff whenever they glance which is cool, but you can’t turn it into passive because it also glances. Which makes this ability basically useless because the sand debuff is just gonna fall off in 3 seconds so what’s the point?

Is this intentional cause it just doesn’t make sense to me? I was fighting a Sersi if that helps, who just gonna be glancing 80% of the time.

Comments

• laserjohn26laserjohn26 Member Posts: 1,531 ★★★★★
    It's when the opponent glances on dust not when dust glances on the defender... at least that's how I interpret it
  • Heinz11Heinz11 Member Posts: 220
    The text in the description is poorly worded. Dust places a sand debuff when the opponent glances when hitting her.

• SkyfawSkyfaw Member Posts: 198 ★★

It's when the opponent glances on dust not when dust glances on the defender... at least that's how I interpret it

It says when the opponent GETS STRUCK by medium attack a sand debuff is inflicted.

What I gather from this is when dust attacks opponent. Which makes sense cuz I was able to place sand debuff on Sersi.
  • FolkvangrFolkvangr Member Posts: 90
    Skyfaw said:

It says when the opponent GETS STRUCK by medium attack a sand debuff is inflicted.

What I gather from this is when dust attacks opponent. Which makes sense cuz I was able to place sand debuff on Sersi.
    It says IS STRUCK BY A MEDIUM ATTACK OR HAS A HIT GLANCE
    Folkvangr said:

Skyfaw said:

Whenever the OPPONENT or THEIR BLOCK gets STRUCK by Dust medium attacks sand will be inflicted.

It’s saying dust is attacking the opponent.

Read the THEIR, means them not dust blocking, the opponent blocking. So she is attacking.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,392 Guardian
    edited March 14
    Everyday I lose more hope in the education system. OP, you're wrong, others are right. When dust causes an attack to glance, the opponent gets a sand debuff on them. That's why she had the node with a 33% chance for you to glance attacks against her last month in the EQ and why she can glance all blocked hits on defense. That is also why she glances attacks on parry on offense.
  • CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Member Posts: 1,118 ★★★★
    Skyfaw said:

Folkvangr said:

Skyfaw said:

Whenever the OPPONENT or THEIR BLOCK gets STRUCK by Dust medium attacks sand will be inflicted.

Read the THEIR, means them not dust blocking, the opponent blocking. So she is attacking.
    (When the opponent or their block is struck by a medium attack) OR ([the opponent] has a hit glance)

Could be worded better but the first clause refers to the opponent being struck while the second one refers to Dust being struck
  • FolkvangrFolkvangr Member Posts: 90
    Skyfaw said:

Folkvangr said:

Skyfaw said:

The sentence starts with whenever the opponent, so everything there is talking about the opponent
    So it is whenever the opponent has a hit glance
    Thnx for clearing it up, I just read that and assumed it’s an offensive ability. The wording is throwing me for a loop. 🫠
    Folkvangr said:

Skyfaw said:

Folkvangr said:

Skyfaw said:

The sentence starts with whenever the opponent, so everything there is talking about the opponent
    So it is whenever the opponent has a hit glance

Skyfaw said:

Folkvangr said:

Skyfaw said:

(When the opponent or their block is struck by a medium attack) OR ([the opponent] has a hit glance)

Could be worded better but the first clause refers to the opponent being struck while the second one refers to Dust being struck
  • laserjohn26laserjohn26 Member Posts: 1,531 ★★★★★
    If it was when dust glances it would be an extremely niche and quite weird ability for her to have. Very few characters cause glancing and none I can think of in skill. It would be like if a tech champion came out and and had an ability the whenever you got a soul barb you gained an armor or something.

If it was when dust glances it would be an extremely niche and quite weird ability for her to have. Very few characters cause glancing and none I can think of in skill. It would be like if a tech champion came out and and had an ability the whenever you got a soul barb you gained an armor or something.

I wouldn’t think so her whole ramp up is contingent on her having to place debuffs on opponent which would be amazing for her to counter glancing. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

We haven’t seen someone be able to counter glancing directly. It could’ve been a quite useful ability but like you said in niche situations since it’s a rare ability.

There other champs that have unusual abilities for there class like CGR has heal block when no other cosmics have that ability. It’s usually a tech ability.
    While Venom has nullify when that a mystic ability. There are probably other odd champs that don’t always stay on theme for there class type.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,850 ★★★★★
    Skyfaw said:

I wouldn’t think so her whole ramp up is contingent on her having to place debuffs on opponent which would be amazing for her to counter glancing. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

We haven’t seen someone be able to counter glancing directly. It could’ve been a quite useful ability but like you said in niche situations since it’s a rare ability.

There other champs that have unusual abilities for there class like CGR has heal block when no other cosmics have that ability. It’s usually a tech ability.
    While Venom has nullify when that a mystic ability. There are probably other odd champs that don’t always stay on theme for there class type.
    Countering Glancing is really hard, because of the fact it reduces Offensive Ability Accuracy. So any ability that activates on being Glanced (which occurs at the point of Attacking, so becomes Offensive Ability Accuracy) would be pretty much doomed to failure.

Nullify is actually more cosmic than you'd think. Both Venom and Venompool Nullify buffs, as does Kamala Khan; and as you mentioned, CGR has his Fate Seal. You could also argue that the way Ronan punishes the opponent for having buffs would now be considered more in line with a Mystic.