**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

How does bgs matchmaking work?

Is it random or what? Sometimes I get people with rosters significantly stronger than me, and sometimes I get people who look like they started last week.

This isn't a complaint (I suck at bgs and I'm fine with that), I'm just curious.

Comments

• Options
    BendyBendy Posts: 4,295 ★★★★★
    Different depending on bracket when u enter diamond u can face any account before that i guess its depending on total base rating or prestige
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,996 Guardian

Is it random or what? Sometimes I get people with rosters significantly stronger than me, and sometimes I get people who look like they started last week.

This isn't a complaint (I suck at bgs and I'm fine with that), I'm just curious.

First of all, unlike say Alliance war where Kabam decides who you match with, you can only match against people actually looking for match at that time. Seems obvious, but sometimes people seem to forget that.

Among all the people that are looking for match, the game has two separate algorithms for picking an opponent from among all the other players. First, it can just pick anyone in your tier. That's the default match maker. Whoever is there, you match with them, period. Second, it can restrict who you match against to look for players of similar roster strength and progression tier. That's the limited match algorithm.

Using a system whose precise details have never been released by Kabam but can somewhat be inferred from match behavior, the game picks one of the two based on what tier you are in. The lower you are, the greater the probability it picks the limited match. The higher you go, the lower the probability it picks the limited match and instead simply picks the first player it finds to match with you (although I believe it does try to avoid repeat matches when it can).

There are some players that will tell you that the game *always* picks the limited matches in the low tiers, and then switches to anything-goes in P2 or P1. But based on what I've observed and what I know about it, I do not believe that is the case. Instead, it shifts gradually from one to the other, and it doesn't simply phase out at P1 either: there is a lingering probability of limited matching at least into D4. But because in general there are more lower progress players in the lower tiers in the first place, it often looks like the game just finds limited (low) matches from Bronze to Platinum 2, and then switches to monster accounts from P1 on up.
  • Options
    Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Posts: 1,380 ★★★★
    Short answer: from bronze 3 to plat 3 matchmaking is based on prestige, from plat 2 and on its just based on whoever is in the same league regardless of roster differences.

Long answer: what dna said, lol.

Also I appreciate this not being a complaint post, it’s a nice change of pace
  • Options
    Archit_1812Archit_1812 Posts: 86
    Now, ya'll could have said that on my post as well instead of berating me, saying "It's your own fault you dont have a valiant-ready roster at thronebreaker.". SMH. It's good to know the community disagrees with everything you regardless of what it is. It's just a ready to click button, so they push other people down. It's sad really.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,615 ★★★★★

Now, ya'll could have said that on my post as well instead of berating me, saying "It's your own fault you dont have a valiant-ready roster at thronebreaker.". SMH. It's good to know the community disagrees with everything you regardless of what it is. It's just a ready to click button, so they push other people down. It's sad really.

Come in with a shi*ty attitude, recive one back. These scenarios are not comparable
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,443 ★★★★★
    In lower tiers it will move outside of your tier if match making is taking too long. I can get 30-60 second wait times in Silver and when that happens I know it will either be a mismatch (in strength) or someone above/below my current tier.