Dang!!! Robert Downey is Doctor Doom!

2»

Comments

• spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Member Posts: 351 ★★★
    I'll believe it when that movie even comes anywhere close to filming. After they backtracked on Kang, this feels like a huge Hail Mary that is going to fail to land with more than four years for them to pivot as box office trickles for the next films.
  • DorkyDorky Member Posts: 337
    I can agree on that. Kang would have been good until dude fd himself lol. So it's like they gotta kind of explain why they went a different way from Kang to Doom.
  • The_0wenpusThe_0wenpus Member Posts: 233 ★★
    I loved the Infamous Iron Man comic series. I feel like it doesn't really work in reverse, however. This would need to happen after the normal Doom was established. Seems like a bad decision.
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,022 ★★★★★

I loved the Infamous Iron Man comic series. I feel like it doesn't really work in reverse, however. This would need to happen after the normal Doom was established. Seems like a bad decision.

Or maybe Irondoom comes from different reality, gets beaten in single movie (like Mysterio fluff) in the end credits we see a man from original reality pick up the broken, weak, faulty, imperfect armour of IronDoom and smiles with screen fades.

Establishing DrDoom and his saga.
  • YodaKajYodaKaj Member Posts: 105
    This must be a trick.
  • PalistesPalistes Member Posts: 167 ★★
    I am so tired of variants and the multiverse. I just want a good Doom. Please. He is one of Marvel's most compelling characters.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,879 ★★★★★
    How can you explain to a non marvel nerd (90% of the humans who's gonna watch the movie) when they see doctor doom, played by rdj, in the big screen, and mistake him to be ironman? That's what's gonna happen lol.
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,340 ★★★★★
    Aw I wanted Cillian Murphy. It’s a really weird casting choice and I’m disappointed they didn’t go for someone else (though I’m fairly sure why) but I guess this will bring money in for them regardless. Hope they approach it decently but I’m not so sure with marvel now

Stg if there’s some meta joke about it I’ll cry lmao. Also rip kang dynasty. Guess I’ll have to watch EMH again instead
  • The_Doctor_24_1The_Doctor_24_1 Member Posts: 97
    In my personal opinion i don't know how to feel. There's something off. I mean if they play it like it's a variant made just for Doomsday and Secret Wars then the character won't be able to reach his full potential later on. It's like NWH with Green Goblin and Dock Ock, I don't know about you but the characters now feel used and if they get another version in the main MCU timeline it wont be the same. I love Doom and the F4 with all my heart, but all of this feels way too rushed. I hope that with the F4 appearing in Avengers 5 and 6 the backstory and relationship between Reed and Doom gets explored a little. And lets hope they at least show Doom destroying all the Kangs or something like that first, because I know Kang was not an option anymore, but cutting it out like it was nothing cheapens all that build up.
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 5,762 ★★★★★
    Well i think hes just doom for the end of multiverse and the real mcu doom in 616 will be a different actor as we are still in multiverse saga so makes sense it be just a variant and probs in end wont be seen again
  • NightheartNightheart Member Posts: 2,041 ★★★★
    I don't know about this one I have mixed feelings. I hope Dr.Doom is done correctly he is one of of my favorite characters and the movies never did him justice until now.

I don't know about this one I have mixed feelings. I hope Dr.Doom is done correctly he is one of of my favorite characters and the movies never did him justice until now.

I think it will with the story and the directors especially the russos
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    Bendy said:

Getting into the Secret Wars storyline this early with potentially a fake Doom who will most likely die and won't be going face to face with The Beyonder cause he isn't the real deal is a very risky move regardless of who's directing.

Tbh the more I think about it the more it could work. Doom’s scarred face is a core element of his character, meaning (if they do this correctly) he should at almost all times be wearing his mask. That combined with RDJ maybe giving him an accent and different dialogue patterns means it’ll be easier to mentally detach RDJ from the iron man character. With us unable to actually see RDJ’s face, and him hopefully having a different voice than iron man he’ll feel enough like a separate character.

If they are going for the whole Secret Wars thing (which seems to be the case) with the Beyonder and Doom stealing his powers, that mask will come off eventually, no way to avoid that.
    That depends on whether they go with the classic 1984 secret wars or the newer 2015 version. The mask comes off in both, and for the same reason in both, but in the newer version it’s only for a single panel way at the end. In the 1984 version I the mask is off for a lot longer, but they may not take that route. Either way, the mask will be on for the majority of the story, at least hopefully long enough for us to get used to it.
    Yeah, I guess the mask just had a huge meaning for me personally so that's why I can't see them doing this without showing his face but whatever route they take I hope this isn't permanent. They already made it very clear Variants can look completely different so hopefully RDJ will just be there for the numbers for the first couple of movies and then we'll get the real Doom. I don't think I could ever really see RDJ as Doom no matter what they do.

Tbh the more I think about it the more it could work. Doom’s scarred face is a core element of his character, meaning (if they do this correctly) he should at almost all times be wearing his mask. That combined with RDJ maybe giving him an accent and different dialogue patterns means it’ll be easier to mentally detach RDJ from the iron man character. With us unable to actually see RDJ’s face, and him hopefully having a different voice than iron man he’ll feel enough like a separate character.

If they are going for the whole Secret Wars thing (which seems to be the case) with the Beyonder and Doom stealing his powers, that mask will come off eventually, no way to avoid that.
    That depends on whether they go with the classic 1984 secret wars or the newer 2015 version. The mask comes off in both, and for the same reason in both, but in the newer version it’s only for a single panel way at the end. In the 1984 version I the mask is off for a lot longer, but they may not take that route. Either way, the mask will be on for the majority of the story, at least hopefully long enough for us to get used to it.
    Yeah, I guess the mask just had a huge meaning for me personally so that's why I can't see them doing this without showing his face but whatever route they take I hope this isn't permanent. They already made it very clear Variants can look completely different so hopefully RDJ will just be there for the numbers for the first couple of movies and then we'll get the real Doom. I don't think I could ever really see RDJ as Doom no matter what they do.

It's smart move rdj plays doom variant for Avengers 5 and 6 and then die and we see main doom in mcu later by this they replace kang and didn't waste actual victor von doom.
    Problem is they want these Avengers movies to tie directly into Secret Wars, if RDJ's Doom dies in one of those movies then they either introduce the real deal or there are no Secret Wars. It's just risky in general, if it wasn't for Deadpool & Wolverine being such a massive W I wouldn't even be crossing my fingers right now.

Bendy said:

Getting into the Secret Wars storyline this early with potentially a fake Doom who will most likely die and won't be going face to face with The Beyonder cause he isn't the real deal is a very risky move regardless of who's directing.
    Well secret wars was being built all this time with these universes thats been shown plus the doomsday is probs gonna have elements of time runs out
    Bendy said:

Bendy said:

Well secret wars was being built all this time with these universes thats been shown plus the doomsday is probs gonna have elements of time runs out
    Yes what I mean is picking RDJ as Doom is a really bad idea cause A. He either has to be killed off before Secret Wars or B. Somehow written out of the story and replaced by another actor who will play the real deal during Secret Wars.
    The whole thing will be very odd when Iron Man inevitably returns, both of them are easily the most important characters in the entire Marvel Universe and having the same actor play both is a terrible idea for obvious reasons cause they will inevitably see each other face to face.
    Also, where would the Doom from Earth-616 be? RDJ is Iron Man in it so he can't be him in that universe.
    Like I said they're taking a huge risk here, one mistake could potentially cause a ton of plot holes.

Bendy said:

Bendy said:

Yes what I mean is picking RDJ as Doom is a really bad idea cause A. He either has to be killed off before Secret Wars or B. Somehow written out of the story and replaced by another actor who will play the real deal during Secret Wars.
    The whole thing will be very odd when Iron Man inevitably returns, both of them are easily the most important characters in the entire Marvel Universe and having the same actor play both is a terrible idea for obvious reasons cause they will inevitably see each other face to face.
    Also, where would the Doom from Earth-616 be? RDJ is Iron Man in it so he can't be him in that universe.
    Like I said they're taking a huge risk here, one mistake could potentially cause a ton of plot holes.
    Or maybe the real one kills rdjs version and that doom be most powerful
    Bendy said:

Bendy said:

Bendy said:

That's the only way I see this going cause if RDJ's Doom makes it all the way up to Secret Wars then they will have to go balls to the wall for the rest of the MCU's existence, there's no turning back at that point because by then it'll be too late to introduce the real deal. We'll see I suppose, I just hope they know what they're doing this time.

Bendy said:

Bendy said:

Bendy said:

That's the only way I see this going cause if RDJ's Doom makes it all the way up to Secret Wars then they will have to go balls to the wall for the rest of the MCU's existence, there's no turning back at that point because by then it'll be too late to introduce the real deal. We'll see I suppose, I just hope they know what they're doing this time.
    Its in good hands im quite excited but its down to what the writer does
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Member Posts: 3,176 ★★★★★

Isn't the one from 2015 still ugly? I think he can't fix his face for whatever reason? And I heard incursions are currently happening in the MCU so that strongly suggests they're taking from the 2015 one
    His face is scarred throughout the entire story until the very end on the last panel, where reed fixes his face with the power of the molecule man to pretty much give doom some internal healing.
    he's scarred again.
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★

Isn't the one from 2015 still ugly? I think he can't fix his face for whatever reason? And I heard incursions are currently happening in the MCU so that strongly suggests they're taking from the 2015 one
    His face is scarred throughout the entire story until the very end on the last panel, where reed fixes his face with the power of the molecule man to pretty much give doom some internal healing.
    he's scarred again.
    Well yes iirc he does get scarred again through the events of infamous iron man but it was his face being healed that even started that comic run in the first place. He basically had one run where his face was actually healed lol.
  • kus234kus234 Member Posts: 270 ★★
    Maybe Iron Doom?
  • MasquiradeMasquirade Member Posts: 125
    Robert Doomey Junior on that Superior IM storyline, I think it would be absolutely incredible for them to pull this from an alternate universe.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,265 ★★★★
    I think Doctor Von Doom will be portrayed only behind a mask.

So, it will be ok to RDJ get the role.

If not, he may appear with scars in the face. And the voice, should be another tone...

We're so used to Tony's voice....
  • MonkydluffyMonkydluffy Member Posts: 122
    Welcome to the Robert Downey Jrverse.