PSA: Onslaught finally works against cleanse

SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 250 ★★★
So for those who weren’t aware, Onslaught replaces purified debuffs with a passive version but ever since his release this has only worked against purify but NOT cleanse. This is contrary to how every other similar champ has worked (Bishop, Dust, Storm X, etc.) where abilities that punish purify in some manner also punish cleanse (note that this is different from abilities that prevent purify like Apoc, which does not work against cleanse because cleanse is still a different ability from purify). However, as of now this is no longer the case. I had to use Onslaught against a Chee’ilth in war just now for lack of better options and found myself getting my passive stuns and daunteds. Here’s a practice fight against Zemo demonstrating it:

Not sure exactly when this was fixed, but I found no patch note addressing this that I missed nor a comment/thread pointing out it’s been fixed so I’m putting it out there that he works properly now.

Comments

• EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,057 ★★★★★
    So does he still root you after 5 parries?
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Member Posts: 1,523 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

So does he still root you after 5 parries?

Yes
  • Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 401 ★★
    He doesn't work against Jabari yet.
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 250 ★★★

Seems to work fine for me. Are you perhaps getting confused because he isn’t inflicting daunted passives? Jabari can only cleanse one debuff at a time and it seems like the parry stun gets triggered and thus gets cleansed first, leaving the daunted debuff untouched.
  • Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 401 ★★
    Squidopus said:

Seems to work fine for me. Are you perhaps getting confused because he isn’t inflicting daunted passives? Jabari can only cleanse one debuff at a time and it seems like the parry stun gets triggered and thus gets cleansed first, leaving the daunted debuff untouched.
    Yeah, it works fine for ONE cleanse. After that, it doesn't. It's like I have a permanent Disorient and my Parry fails everytime.

Squidopus said:

Yeah, it works fine for ONE cleanse. After that, it doesn't. It's like I have a permanent Disorient and my Parry fails everytime.

Tried doing it multiple times in a single fight as you suggested but again didn’t come across any issues. If you could post a screenshot or video I could try to figure out what’s happening because I can’t replicate what you’re describing.
    You know what you’re probably having problems with Jabari’s ensnare debuff, which reduces ability accuracy. Onslaught’s increased debuff ability accuracy against skills means he shouldn’t have issues landing his parry stuns or daunted but it doesn’t protect him from the corresponding passives failing to trigger if his debuffs are cleansed. I probably just got lucky and didn’t fail to trigger a passive.
  • NightheartNightheart Member Posts: 2,041 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a bug. He is not supposed to put passives on when his debuffs are cleansed.

If it is then it'll get fixed
  • Average_DesiAverage_Desi Member Posts: 421 ★★★
    Is that why bishop no longer does damage when an opponent purifies a debuff?
  • SquammoSquammo Member Posts: 522 ★★★

Is that why bishop no longer does damage when an opponent purifies a debuff?

Or any of the purification punishing mutants for that matter. Dust and Storm for example.
  • Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Member Posts: 2,084 ★★★★★
    Does that mean that my r3 onslaught just gotten better ?

Pikolu said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a bug. He is not supposed to put passives on when his debuffs are cleansed.

Is that an opinion, or a response you've had from a Dev, @Pikolu ?

I ask because that would suggest Bishop, Storm and Storm-X shouldn't put passive stuns on when a stun debuff is Cleansed, either; but they all do...

Onslaught

Bishop

Storm/Storm-X
    I agree with that. As I said, this current behavior is consistent with all other similarly worded abilities. If this is indeed a bug, I can live with that but they really should indicate as such in Onslaught’s abilities, ESPECIALLY since I know this was a longstanding “bug” that has never been addressed in any official manner I’m aware of. If he shouldn’t be doing this, then his abilities should STATE that he can’t do this.

Gonna be real for a bit as well, I’m very well aware that Onslaught is the last champion that needs a “buff” like this, but I’m gonna be pretty sad if this goes since again by all accounts this is an ability he has per his kit and Kabam has refused to ever acknowledge this behavior as intended or existing despite the multiple threads I’ve seen discussing it since Onslaught’s release. If this isn’t intended, it really feels like Kabam could’ve handled this way better. Even Fantman’s nonfunctional glance, which was also bugged from release, was at least finally mentioned in his balancing update where they said he was already good enough without it and thus only gave him a weaker version. Onslaught’s balancing notes was just “he’s good, we’re cool with him, no changes” with no mention of cleanse behavior. They’ve had more than enough time to clarify or fix it and just didn’t, so it stings to see it “fixed” and told it’ll be ripped away.
  • Darkraw346Darkraw346 Member Posts: 2,324 ★★★★★
    I've just tries vs Zemo, the stuns don't convert into passives, the other stuff does

I've just tries vs Zemo, the stuns don't convert into passives, the other stuff does

Zemo’s cleanses don’t work against stun debuffs so this is expected behavior. No stun passives if the stun debuff isn’t purified.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,345 Guardian

Pikolu said:

Is that an opinion, or a response you've had from a Dev, Pikolu ?

I ask because that would suggest Bishop, Storm and Storm-X shouldn't put passive stuns on when a stun debuff is Cleansed, either; but they all do...

Onslaught

Bishop

Storm/Storm-X
    Straight from the devs. He was built intentionally to not counter cleanse.

I wouldn't tell you something is a bug with 100% certainty if I wasn't told by a dev before then.
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Onslaught

Bishop

Storm/Storm-X

I wouldn't tell you something is a bug with 100% certainty if I wasn't told by a dev before then.
    Very disappointing. I stand by what I said, they should have addressed this at some point such as his balancing update and they need to update his ability page to reflect that he doesn’t work against cleanse.
  • OrtounOrtoun Member Posts: 753 ★★★
    They really need to find a way to differentiate between the ability purify, and the effect purify. As it currently stands there is absolutely zero consistency and no way to know which one a given ability is referring to. Maybe they can change the old tenacity call out to be for the ability and just leave purify as the effect. Then you would have tenacity instantly purify effects and cleanse purify future effects.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,817 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Onslaught

Bishop

Storm/Storm-X

Thanks Pikolu. If it's a bug that gets fixed then, it would be great if they could clear up the language then - you can see from the text boxes I posted how it's incredibly unclear who does, and who doesn't counter Cleanse.

Unless it's a bug for everyone, and none of these champions should counter Cleanse... In which case a decent-sized announcement seems appropriate...