**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

So.... Anybody going for that new 5 Star featured hero Crystal?

2»

Comments

• DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the decision to release this crystal was based on poor interpretation of the variable-ratio reinforcement schedule:

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-variable-ratio-schedule-2796012
  • NikoBravoNikoBravo Posts: 447 ★★★
    When you cram a bunch of hot garbage into shiny new packaging, it’s still hot garbage.
  • ninexhelixninexhelix Posts: 136
    Dunno. Thinking about it. Depends on how many of the 18 basics I may already have unduped or I may want multiple chances at duping. I never bothered with featured before because I know my luck. But now I’m at a point where I have several champs unduped that I’d really like to dupe. Seems my chances, if they’re part of the new featured, would dramatically improve over pulling them from the basic with all the champs currently available. I won’t go for the current one, but I may start saving for the next. If, when they announce the next batch, it has several I’d like a shot at awakening, then great. If not well I can always pop some 10k crystals and start saving again.
  • BinawayawhileBinawayawhile Posts: 287
    I'm wondering if one of the reasons to have this particular crystal is to avoid the whole apple store requirements.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    I'm wondering if one of the reasons to have this particular crystal is to avoid the whole apple store requirements.

No. They've already said the changes have been in the works for some time.
  • I wouldn’t be surprised if the decision to release this crystal was based on poor interpretation of the variable-ratio reinforcement schedule:

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-variable-ratio-schedule-2796012

That applies to all random lootboxes. I don't see how it would apply any more to the new featured than any other random lootbox.

The obvious straight forward reason why Kabam changed the old featured to the new featured is because the original featured had a low but reasonable chance to get the featured. It was intended to be random, and for a small percentage of the players who bought it to get it. But now that 5* shards are far more common, the "random" lootbox has psychologically become less of a chance to get the featured and more of a small chance to not get the featured. It has become more of a sure thing than intended. So they altered the crystal to return it to more of a gamble and less of a sure thing.

There's no reason to assume more complex reasons, when that would be plenty enough reason to do it.
  • I'm wondering if one of the reasons to have this particular crystal is to avoid the whole apple store requirements.

The players have already done a very good job of measuring the drop rate of the original featured crystal. There was approximately a 20% chance to get the featured, a 1%-5% chance to get a subfeatured champ, and about a 75% to 79% chance to get a basic champion. Releasing the odds would only have refined those numbers by a small amount. There's no obvious reason to change the crystal just so they wouldn't have to release those numbers.

Another problem with this theory is that it isn't even clear that the 5* featured crystal is one of the crystals Kabam would be obligated to disclose the odds for. Since it is not a crystal you can ordinarily buy with cash or units, it is far more of a grey area than most other crystals like PHCs or grandmaster crystals.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    That applies to all random lootboxes. I don't see how it would apply any more to the new featured than any other random lootbox.

The obvious straight forward reason why Kabam changed the old featured to the new featured is because the original featured had a low but reasonable chance to get the featured. It was intended to be random, and for a small percentage of the players who bought it to get it. But now that 5* shards are far more common, the "random" lootbox has psychologically become less of a chance to get the featured and more of a small chance to not get the featured. It has become more of a sure thing than intended. So they altered the crystal to return it to more of a gamble and less of a sure thing.

There's no reason to assume more complex reasons, when that would be plenty enough reason to do it.

I can see how my comment can come off as overanalyzing. It would've been more straightforward to say that since the previous featured crystal had a rumored 20%-ish chance of pulling a single featured champion, I would not be surprised if the new featured crystal is expected to do well because the chance of pulling one particular champion is well below 20%. Rewards are sweeter when the risk is higher.

Or maybe that since 5* awakening gems (class and especially generic) are so scarce, players are expected to use their 5* shards on the new featured crystal in hopes of awakening a specific champion, no matter how unlikely the odds may be.
  • GeneralDCGeneralDC Posts: 42
    edited February 2018
    In the wise words of Seatin, “No”
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    DHCVoLt wrote: »
    Don’t judge me yes. I want modok, hela, and void. I don’t want it like this, it’s terrible, but I want the champs

Not judging you, man. I hear you. Because if I knew the drop rates for Basics, I might be right there with you, because I want a Void, too

• I posted a meme in the wrong thread so i think this will fit well lol

knwqhmr3hez6.jpg
    One thing that always gets lost in this stuff is that some of us aren't as fortunate as YouTubers or whoever else.

I can't remember every single character of the 24, but IIRC, 20 or 21 of them were equal to or better than every single 5-star I had at the time of the announcement, and again, my memory might be hazy, but the only one I had in that pool was Ronan. That still might be the case.

That doesn't mean I am going to do this. I hate how this was done.

But for every person out there one-shotting Voodoos and Medusas and Sparks, there are others of us pulling Groots and She-Hulks and Ant-Mans. Repeatedly.

So this crystal, as flawed as it may be, will give some people who get it better characters than they have. Guaranteed.

Let there be no doubt about that.

Just went back and checked the pool of 24.

Of it, I personally had Ronan and Ant-Man.

I would not want Juggernaut and Loki at all. Cyclops, either.

So there are 19 characters who are left that are equal to or better than what I have.

So that is what I am trying to figure out now: If my 79.2 percent chance to pull something I don't have is better than a) the 21 percent chance I have to pull something I don't want, combined with b) the fact that I have no idea how the basic pool actually works.

I don't KNOW that i have the same chance to pull a Spark as I do a She-Hulk from the Basic pool. Know what I am saying?

Just because they are all in there doesn't mean i have the slightest clue that She-Hulk's drop rate is 7.4 percent and Ghost Rider is 0.8 percent.

I have no clue. And that's why this choice is tougher for some of us than others, about whether to ignore the featured crystal or not. Because some of us have gotten straight garbage from Basics for more than a year.
    edited February 2018
    So, just to follow-up:

I decided to spin out a Basic. That was the decision I came up with. It's not right or wrong; it's what I chose to do.

Duped Groot.

Again: No one else should let that influence their decision. My account, one spin, isolated event. Won't have anything to do with anyone else's luck.

But that is my point: It's easy to say "don't spin the featured" when you have been lucky a lot in this game.

I haven't. My luck is usually horrible with 5-stars. It just is.

I have 12 5-stars. Two of them are duped She-Hulk and now a duped Groot.

I also have Ant-Man, Hulkbuster, Colossus. I am not saying that every one is garbage -- they're not. Some are more usable than others. I make the best of what I have.

Just saying that I could have used almost anything in that featured crystal more than what I just spun, and that has been the case for 10 of the 13 times I have spun a Basic.
  • Air98Air98 Posts: 81 ★★
    Lol never touching that featured crystal.
  • BendyBendy Posts: 3,373 ★★★★★
    I went for it to try dup task since need his dup will try one more in a month time but it's good if u want dups or try for a featured u badly want also I was hoping for void
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    edited February 2018
    Not this go around for sure, but if they through in some decent champs along with the features, I might be more inclined to.

I think it's time for class specific feature crystals yet still. Instead of one featured crystal, you got 6, one from each class, and included in those feature crystals are the newly added champs. I'd buy that
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 913 ★★★
    The only time id go for it is if all the featured and background champs were something i wanted. Does anyone know if the background champs will also rotate?
    If not then forget it.
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    They said the champs that were already in it will not be the same in the next batch so these 18 basics won't be there and there will be new featureds.
  • Mana_PotMana_Pot Posts: 235 ★★
    edited February 2018
    If they were 10,000 I'd be interested. They're basically regulars crystals with a smaller pool that includes some recents. I'll wait till they're added to the regular crystal, thanks. Blade will be the last 15,000 crystal I buy unless they change something.
  • Mr_WiffMr_Wiff Posts: 244
    Dropfaith wrote: »
    1jfph4b32haf.png
    I have both Cyclops from the old feature crystal misses
    Who's jelly?

I know man I duped my Red Cyclops from 2 basics guess we win the game huh?
    I digress there is a way to beat magik in war with cyclops. first you take your credit card and then you empty it on units for health potions. shh this trick must be kept secret hahahaha (FYI I don't do this #notawhale)