**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Improperly impaired underpowered champs

JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
Ok, this is something that drives me crazy.

I understand that since it is a combat game, every champ technically needs to be able to beat any other champ. I get that even though we all know Dormammu wouldn’t even acknowledge Ant-Man’s existence in marvel universe, in Kabam universe Ant-Man has to be able to smack him around a bit.

There must be power tiers in a game like this, the champs can’t all have equal powers.

So, if we’ve established that every champ must be able to compete with any other champ, but also there must be power tiers..why in the world can’t we have players place in the tiers that are most accurate for them?

I would like to get your opinions on who the strongest champs SHOULD be. Again, champs like Dormammu couldn’t possess power in this game equal to marvel universe, but the distance between Dormammu and Ant-Man should be comparable to the distance between blade and ant-man now.

I think Dormammu, Phoenix, Sentry, Doctor Strange, and a few others have been tragically disrespected and underpowered by the developers.

Players like Stark Spidey, Star Lord, etc. should’ve gone in the bottom tiers.

I remember how excited I was the first time I pulled Phoenix because I was sure she would be extremely powerful...so much for that.

Again, please read the whole post before you give your opinion.

I’m NOT advocating buffing or nerfing champs and upsetting the balance of the game, that isn’t what this is about. I’m simply saying I wish they would’ve put more thought into which players they wanted to be the strongest in the game.

I’d love to hear your thoughts. Are there any that should be powerful that I didn’t mention?

Comments

• Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    @B_Kass

My only problem is you repeated yourself.
  • B_KassB_Kass Posts: 35
    Spurgeo14 wrote: »
    @B_Kass

My only problem is you repeated yourself.

i wasn't trying to. when i hit post. it got put up twice. I see what you did there btw
  • JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
    @B_Kass I agree that he’s a very strong champ in the game, I love using him for offense and defense...but he should’ve been top 3 and he probably isn’t top 10
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    The champs are all infected with ISO in the battle realm and it effects them all differently.
  • TheDemonTheDemon Posts: 159
    JC_ wrote: »
    @B_Kass I agree that he’s a very strong champ in the game, I love using him for offense and defense...but he should’ve been top 3 and he probably isn’t top 10

You've never seen him used as a duped boss in War. Ant-man doesn't stand a chance then. Dormammu is very powerful.
    @TheDemon

I don’t run into him as a boss anymore because hardly anyone places him as a boss because people have adjusted to his fighting style.

I’m pretty confident that most players would put him in the 8-15 range as far as overall champs if they were building a roster from scratch.

He’s definitely behind Magik, GR, Voodoo just in his own class.

@TheDemon

But, I do agree that Ant Man wouldn’t stand a chance against him when he’s placed as a boss. :smile:
  • imnooneimnoone Posts: 316 ★★
    I agree with you and wish they would have factor that into the characters. I sometime feel funny when I smack down Hulk using Hawkeye lol
  • JC_ wrote: »
    There must be power tiers in a game like this, the champs can’t all have equal powers.

The champions shouldn't be identical, but that doesn't mean there must be tiers. The developers' aim isn't great so the capabilities of the champions end up shotgunned all over the place, but the ideal design for a game like this would have every champion good at a few things and poor at other things in ways that create a rock-paper-scissors environment. In a properly balanced game, every champion would be useful somewhere, and no champion would be fantastic everywhere or nowhere.

The problem with making champion tiers is that you end up segmenting the game. The game already has champion tiers with star ranks, and those star ranks are segmented: you don't just get awarded 4* and 5* champs at the same rate as 2* and 3* champs. In the lower parts of the game it is easier to earn lower star tier champs and harder or almost impossible to earn the higher ones. This allows you to pace out the content in a progression curve. If the champions themselves were also in tiers, then you wouldn't be able to, say, earn a Dormammu or a Ghost Rider at all in any form until you reached the absolute highest parts of the game. That creates two problems. First, there are fewer champions available per tier which reduces the variety in the game that players can experience. And second, it puts a very tricky cap on the power curve for future expansion of the game. Once you start awarding the strongest champions that exist in the Marvel Universe, then what?

The star system tiering allows every champion to exist at every power level and progress level of the game, and allows the developers to add higher levels of content without an artificial ceiling.
    @DNA3000

Hmm. Ok, like always what you are saying makes sense.

I guess my main pet peeve in all of it is seeing “god-like” champs not have great abilities.

No one is spinning 5 star crystals hoping for Phoenix or Sentry, but they will spin thousands of $$$’s hoping for a blade, starlord (back in the day), or others of their ilk.
  • TheHoodedDormammuTheHoodedDormammu Posts: 1,448 ★★★
    JC_ wrote: »
    @DNA3000

Hmm. Ok, like always what you are saying makes sense.

I guess my main pet peeve in all of it is seeing “god-like” champs not have great abilities.

No one is spinning 5 star crystals hoping for Phoenix or Sentry, but they will spin thousands of $$$’s hoping for a blade, starlord (back in the day), or others of their ilk.

Ya that makes sense. Kabam should buff the actual "god-like" champs like Dormammu to make it relative.