**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What happens to us that use a VPN?

I just saw Miike’s post about taking action against piloting which I think is awesome! Finally a level playing field is coming our way! But I’m a little curious and worried about how the detection may be implemented. A lot of us use a VPN to protect our data from hackers. A VPN sets our IP address to different locations. I’m just hoping that Kabam has something else in mind for detecting piloting other than IP jumps.

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,659 Guardian
    DocStrange wrote: »
    I just saw Miike’s post about taking action against piloting which I think is awesome! Finally a level playing field is coming our way! But I’m a little curious and worried about how the detection may be implemented. A lot of us use a VPN to protect our data from hackers. A VPN sets our IP address to different locations. I’m just hoping that Kabam has something else in mind for detecting piloting other than IP jumps.

Using a VPN is fundamentally no different than using cellular service. Your IP address isn't fixed for them either: its set dynamically, and changes frequently.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,659 Guardian
    VolumeOne wrote: »
    Not to worry! Using a VPN is not against our Terms of Service

Bit of devil's advocate here but if you're using two accounts on two devices with two different VPNs even with tracking MAC address and IP's regardless of how dynamic they are wouldn't there still be a decent amount of confusion as one person logging in on someone else's account also on a VPN? Sorry man, I work in tech and got legitimately interested in this. @Kabam Miike

Short answer: no there wouldn't be. Its a little different on Android, but on iOS there are a number of mechanisms you can use to distinguish these situations. There are vendor identifiers, device check bits, and a bunch of other ways to determine which accounts on which devices are being used regardless of IP address (which is essentially useless in this situation).