**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Alliance Wars Postseason - The Playoffs!

SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,378 ★★★★★
Playing during the regular season of Alliance Wars is great - we all love those juicy rewards given to us at the end of the season. But what if there was a postseason? What if there were Alliance Wars Playoffs, which would lead to the Alliance Wars Finals? Something more where we can truly see who’s the best Alliance Wars alliance out there? Since this would be the most competitive content out there, I suggest that the top 1,000 alliances can only participate. These 1,000 alliances would be broken down as such:

Master - 20
Plat 1 - 50
Plat 2 - 100
Plat 3 - 300
Gold 1 - top 530

Now, the current iteration of AW is pretty long (about 2 months!). What I propose is to shorten the regular season of AW to about 5, maybe 6 weeks worth of wars. There would then be a 2-3 week break and the Playoffs would begin. After the playoffs, there would then be a 3-4 week break and then the regular season would begin once again. If you think the rewards were juicy during the regular season, imagine the Playoffs rewards!

The way the AW Playoffs would work is that (1) all matches until the Finals are best of 3 wars, (2) matches during the finals are best of 5, and (3) there will be a 1 day break between matches.

Similar to how the NBA Playoffs work, the way matching alliances could work would be a seeding system. For those of you who are not aware, 1st seed gets the privilege of going against the 1000th seed, 2nd seed - 999th seed, 3rd seed - 998th seed, etc. You can probably tell where I am going with this. Each alliance would play a best of 3 Alliance Wars and the Alliance who wins 2 out of those 3 wars would proceed to the next round.

I can see how a lot of people, particularly those in the very bottom of the tournament, would not be a fan of this. I am not sure how any other way of matching the alliances would work since there are 1,000 teams competing (unlike the World Cup which has 32 teams). I suppose a Pool Play system could work, but I think Kabam would have to work on that to facilitate it, make sure it runs smoothly and all that.

1,000 alliances out of 30,000 in the tournament!? What about the rest of us!?
I’m glad you asked! While the top 1,000 alliances are competing in the playoffs, the remaining 29,000+ alliances could play AW regularly, get rewards, take it easy until the regular season begins again.

Alliance Wars Playoffs Rewards
Since I propose a shorter regular season, I am also proposing a reduction in the rewards. However, that means that the Playoff rewards are going to be that much more rewarding. For example, I suggest that all AW regular season rewards be cut down to 75 to 80% of what they currently are (example, if you got 1,000 5* shards at the end of the season, you would instead get 750 or 800 shards). As a result, I am suggesting that the AW Playoff rewards be 1.5 to 2 times what they currently are (example, if you got 1,000 5* shards at the end of the playoffs, you would instead get 1,500 to 2,000 shards).

So tell me Summoners, what are your thoughts about this idea?

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    More ways people can cheat for top rewards? Nah thanks
  • SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,378 ★★★★★

I should've seen that coming lol. You're right and with the current state of the game, it probably wouldn't be best to implement this. Hopefully Kabam can track all cheating behavior to prevent it in the future.

• hurricanthurricant Posts: 515 ★★★
    Siliyo wrote: »

I should've seen that coming lol. You're right and with the current state of the game, it probably wouldn't be best to implement this. Hopefully Kabam can track all cheating behavior to prevent it in the future.

narrator: "they can't"
  • FlyingPigsFlyingPigs Posts: 28
    Wouldn't really call a set of games between 1000 teams a playoff.

Maybe top 20 or 32 or something. That'll be a real playoff.
  • MaidrilMaidril Posts: 288
    None of this really considers in-game skill. Just the size of people’s wallets and willingness to cheat. I’ll take a hard pass.
  • Jim0172Jim0172 Posts: 85
    Yeah 1,000 teams or 1,024 for bracket purposes would be 10 weeks long. Would need multiple brackets with the top rewards being different for each one.

Regular season could determine the bracket each alliance is in. 1-64, 65-128, etc...

Could be an interesting way to give a little help to alliances that feel they got screwed on matchmaking in certain wars during the regular season. Or were slightly lower than one of the existing cutoffs.
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    I love the idea and the competition it will bring. But I don't know how well it would work if actually implemented. First off, there would need to be a precedent that any AW violations found would automatically disqualify the violators and the opposing team win by default. Given how it takes a week for Kabam to investigate these cases, this may not work well in an elimination system. Secondly, the reward structure would need to be re-done for each bracket giving different rewards for 1st - 10th place and so on. I don't think extra rewards should be given, but rather the current ones redistributed amongst those different top rankings for each bracket.

All in all, it's a great idea that if implemented correctly could improve the structure and enjoyment of Alliance War seasons. But it's a very difficult task to balance out a system like this.
    Thanks for the constructive feedback. I appreciate it and totally agree with you. This idea just popped in my head and I went with it but it can totally improve.
    I love the idea and the competition it will bring. But I don't know how well it would work if actually implemented. First off, there would need to be a precedent that any AW violations found would automatically disqualify the violators and the opposing team win by default. Given how it takes a week for Kabam to investigate these cases, this may not work well in an elimination system. Secondly, the reward structure would need to be re-done for each bracket giving different rewards for 1st - 10th place and so on. I don't think extra rewards should be given, but rather the current ones redistributed amongst those different top rankings for each bracket.

All in all, it's a great idea that if implemented correctly could improve the structure and enjoyment of Alliance War seasons. But it's a very difficult task to balance out a system like this.
    That actually is a better idea. I didn't really take into account how long it would be, thanks for the insight
    Jim0172 wrote: »
    Yeah 1,000 teams or 1,024 for bracket purposes would be 10 weeks long. Would need multiple brackets with the top rewards being different for each one.

Regular season could determine the bracket each alliance is in. 1-64, 65-128, etc...

Could be an interesting way to give a little help to alliances that feel they got screwed on matchmaking in certain wars during the regular season. Or were slightly lower than one of the existing cutoffs.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,659 Guardian

If we limit this to, say, the master bracket then we could put stronger controls in place to reduce the opportunities to cheat. We would be using fixed matches which reduces the opportunity for collusion. We could do more active monitoring of those few matches to reduce the chances that piloting or mods would escape detection. And we could implement the very harsh penalty that even if cheating was discovered after the fact the rewards would be revoked from all participants in the cheating alliance along with penalties for the following season, to make the cost of cheating discourage attempting it. Not perfect, but potentially better.

Right now the master bracket has twenty alliances in it. I would give the bottom four the base master rewards and let the top sixteen do a four war single elimination tournament for better rewards. With four wars, in the final week of the season everyone else is still playing for points for placement, but the top sixteen would be fighting in the tournament. The first three wars of the tournament would be fought in that last week. And then there would be one war after the end of the season to determine first place.
  • VimesVonlipVimesVonlip Posts: 177 ★★
    Lol no, that's just something else the top alliances can cheat at and suffer no consequences.
  • kraioszerokraioszero Posts: 148
    Siliyo wrote: »
    So tell me Summoners, what are your thoughts about this idea?

My thoughts are the more prizes, the greedier greedy cheaters get.

let's say you have ten dollars, you say you can give 1 to each of the first five among a group of ten on taking the fastest run around the block, taking notes on their individual runtime.
    Then you add you can also give 3 and 2 more dollars to the first and second places in a second run for the first five that already got 1 dollar.
    If when you are not seeing (just around the corner for example) they take a shortcut or any mean to be among the first five and it works, what could stop them to do it again for the extra dollars the second time?
    Also, what would you think will happen with the other five that got no dollar at all instead of all their real and honest effort?
  • ForgotN_SoldierForgotN_Soldier Posts: 30
    edited June 2018
    Aw should not allow you to buy items like potions or boost after attack phase starts. And lower the amount of items u can use in aw to 5. Summoners place defenders but defense is setup by AI so you can’t take snap shots of your defense and sell it until there is 3 hrs left. That be awesome. Really think skill would over power wallets