**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Upcoming Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw Balance Changes

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,191 ★★★★★

Everyrhing I say is not specific to just you @DNA3000 or to you specifically. There are 4 to 5 guys that have this attitude that I'm referring to where Kabam is always right.

This does not make sense since both times you’ve attempted to put words in people’s mouth you have directly responded to his posts addressing him specifically.
    Look at my orginal post. When I addressed the changes I didn't tag anyone yet GW and DNA responded to my post so that tells you thats how they feel that I'm addressing them. My post isn't all about DNA. If thats how it came across I'm telling you I'm talking about the 4 or 5 guys in every post that always agree with Kabam. DNA does occasionally but not everytime. Is that more clear?

You do realize those people you claim always agree with Kabam are aware of the misconception concerning them. Lol. When you reference those people, they know who you're referring to. ;)
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian

What stood out to me in Dave's video is that Kabam clearly don't know how good some of players are or how people can use the champs they create. That's why they need the people who play the game at the highest level to help them create/balance their champs.

And before you start whining about needing to hear from the mid their players just stop. It's not the mid tier players who figured out how to beat anything with Quake w/o being touched or solo the Champion with She-Hulk.

If the top tier players do well and everyone else only does average, the tendency for game developers is to leave it alone. Short of extreme cases or exploits, game developers take balance action when something outperforms across all levels of play, not just for the absolute best players. In fact, the biggest misses I've seen in beta testing MMOs for years doesn't come when the testers fail to account for the absolute best possible performance, but rather when they don't account for how the average player will use something. That's explicitly why all MMOs I've seen with good beta programs have a closed beta with selected testers and then an open beta with a random selection of testers across the playerbase.

Seatin just posted a video showing Doc Oc, using an aggressive play style that an actual Kabam developer discussed with him. It is clear that the developers often know what the absolute best performance is, and they are even willing to share their strategies with other players, but they don't consider that maximum performance to be a problem. So long as there's a high skill threshold to unlock it, it isn't a problem for the game as a whole.

In fact, gating top performance with skill barriers is something I mentioned a while ago and again when the Cull change came up. People have been talking about the Cull change in terms of how to mitigate a damage nerf, for example by increasing Cull's block proficiency. But I think no one has considered another legitimate possibility: keep Cull's damage exactly as it is now and *lower* Cull's block proficiency. That seems crazy, but only if you think the problem is the "good players." If you understand that balance problems tend to be datamined across the entire playerbase, then another option becomes possible: just make it harder to get the top level performance. This will lower Cull's damage across the playerbase without lowering his absolute best possible achievable damage output. And one way to do that might be to make him an even glassier cannon, while keeping the same firepower in the cannon.

Understanding how game balancing works isn't just a bunch of words. It tells you what's possible, and sometimes what's possible is much better than the players think, and sometimes much better than even the devs think. I'm not saying this is guaranteed to work or the devs would go for it specifically in Cull's case (it depends greatly on the details of the data Kabam collected on Cull), I'm saying people often set their sights lower than they should, because they aren't willing to learn how to aim more precisely at what they want.
  • runrebelrunrebel Posts: 25
    If they don’t give rank down tickets then this is a joke. I have no problem weakening a champ but after people spent money on this stuff they need to provide a champion specific rank down ticket.
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,248 ★★★★
    edited October 2019
    I just pulled Ebony ‘Squidward aka noodles’ Maw... a 5* that hits like a max 2* champion (maybe a 3* champion). Not sure if I’m happy or not, I could have awaken Sentry and he is worse than Miles Morales (even after the buff, sunflower power).. Maw should have some sort of better offense, his defense is not all that great either.. inducing debilitating time debuff, ability accuracy reduction, and degen unto opponents while additional ‘5% + x’ (signature level based) power steal opponent power would be nice.
  • UnFazedSkullUnFazedSkull Posts: 245 ★★

If you guys are going to continuously nerf champs that you KNOW are popular and have made you tons of Money, than I'm just gonna stop buying, I make really good money and for the most part enjoy this game. An average month I usually spent about $200-$300 takes me a little less than a day to earn that so not much skin off my ass money wise, I usually buy the stuff that helps level up existing champs, too much uncertainty on crystal packs as you might just draw a **** champ, but in the last 2 weeks I havent spent a penny, since nerfing became a weekly occurrence and doesnt appear to be slowing down theres no reason to spend money ranking up champs that are just gonna get nerfed

Define continuously ? Cause they haven't been doing that.
    They did it with NF and his synergy

If you guys are going to continuously nerf champs that you KNOW are popular and have made you tons of Money, than I'm just gonna stop buying, I make really good money and for the most part enjoy this game. An average month I usually spent about $200-$300 takes me a little less than a day to earn that so not much skin off my ass money wise, I usually buy the stuff that helps level up existing champs, too much uncertainty on crystal packs as you might just draw a **** champ, but in the last 2 weeks I havent spent a penny, since nerfing became a weekly occurrence and doesnt appear to be slowing down theres no reason to spend money ranking up champs that are just gonna get nerfed

That wasn't a nerf. It was never intended.
    Noticed Maw isn’t even being discussed, it’s Cull damage being nerfed.. assuming kabam does lower the damage by a tad (still needs ramp up combo almost like Aegon) but add block proficiency to him based on signature level.. sig200 Cull is guaranteed 100% blocking against normal attacks... but not 100% against some special attack like shock, reverse-control, frostbite and incinerate. That would make him sustainable for other content..

Intended or not they still nerfed the ability which lot of people grinded the champhone for
    People can Grind for a bug. That doesn't make it a nerf. If you want to get colloquial, they "nerfed" it, as in changed (fixed) it. A real nerf is a change to an aspect that's intended.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,862 ★★★★★
    edited October 2019

Intended or not they still nerfed the ability which lot of people grinded the champhone for
    His ability was bugged. Overly powered bug. Not a nerf and still doesnt count as "continuously".
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★

His ability was bugged. Overly powered bug. Not a nerf and still doesnt count as "continuously".
    I wasn't as upset with Nick Fury change but a lot of people did get the champion specifically to get rid if the suicide damage and the nerf took 50% of that away so I agree that it was a nerf. The difference is that it was very early on and not drawn out. Way before he was a basic champion. If they follow this pattern I don't think people would be as upset.

I wasn't as upset with Nick Fury change but a lot of people did get the champion specifically to get rid if the suicide damage and the nerf took 50% of that away so I agree that it was a nerf. The difference is that it was very early on and not drawn out. Way before he was a basic champion. If they follow this pattern I don't think people would be as upset.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/132088/incoming-fix-nick-furys-restoration-kit-synergy

If this is what you are referring to then it wasn't ever a nerf. He wasn't supposed to purify multiple debuffs at the same time. Again, lot's of people need to understand what a nerf is and a fix is.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/132088/incoming-fix-nick-furys-restoration-kit-synergy

If this is what you are referring to then it wasn't ever a nerf. He wasn't supposed to purify multiple debuffs at the same time. Again, lot's of people need to understand what a nerf is and a fix is.
    Even if they did "fix" him they still need as well whether you like it or not as they are making him less effective
    M_virk said:

People can Grind for a bug. That doesn't make it a nerf. If you want to get colloquial, they "nerfed" it, as in changed (fixed) it. A real nerf is a change to an aspect that's intended.
    So you're telling me everyone that grinded for NF knew it was a bug I highly doubt that
    It's fair enough to assume that people didnt know it was a not intended.
    But if people are complaining that their arena grind was a waste then they're just finding a reason to complain. NF is an exceptional champ and alot of people who dont have him are desperately looking for him. I have mine at r5. Even after the change he is one of the best champs in the game. You're lucky if you have a NF.
    I know he is an amazing champ but that isn't the point I know several people who grinded NF for this specific ability and for them to just take it away after people grinded their lives away is just sad

M_virk said:

So you're telling me everyone that grinded for NF knew it was a bug I highly doubt that
    It's fair enough to assume that people didnt know it was a not intended.
    But if people are complaining that their arena grind was a waste then they're just finding a reason to complain. NF is an exceptional champ and alot of people who dont have him are desperately looking for him. I have mine at r5. Even after the change he is one of the best champs in the game. You're lucky if you have a NF.
    I know he is an amazing champ but that isn't the point I know several people who grinded NF for this specific ability and for them to just take it away after people grinded their lives away is just sad
    Exactly, nothing about that is hard to understand whatsoever. He was sold as one thing and it was taken away once he was released. Intended or not it was a change which took about his ability. Meaning nerf, a bug or unintended in my eyes is the Namor change where he killed Thanos in one hit. Nobody bought Namor for that ability so I would qualify that as a bug.

Even if they did "fix" him they still need as well whether you like it or not as they are making him less effective
    Wow.. I dont know if there's a way to be more clearer.
    He was SUPPOSED to only purify 1 debuff.
    He was UNINTENTIONALLY purifying multiple debuffs that were placed at the same time.
    They FIXED the interaction.

He's a fantasic champ with great synergies.

Wow.. I dont know if there's a way to be more clearer.
    He was SUPPOSED to only purify 1 debuff.
    He was UNINTENTIONALLY purifying multiple debuffs that were placed at the same time.
    They FIXED the interaction.

He's a fantasic champ with great synergies.
    You keep using the word fixed but with them fixing him they nerfed his ability to purify the two debuffs it doesnt matter if it was intentional or not multiple people grinded for him solely because of that ability because it was advertised to them that it was working as intended and then when those grinders do get him the ability is nerfed which is just a shady move and they all basically got scammed
    He didn't HAVE that Ability. That was a bug. That's what we're trying to say.

He didn't HAVE that Ability. That was a bug. That's what we're trying to say.

Don't you all thing we know that now my point is he was advertised as one thing which lead numerous people to go for him just for the sole reason they went for him to get taken away that is basically getting scammed and none of this would've have happened if they tested their Champs properly
    He wasn't advertised to Purify all Buffs. No one even stopped to verify. Someone on YouTube pointed out the potential uses, and people ran to get him. Meanwhile, they had to fix him, which isn't always immediate. He was fixed relatively quickly.

He wasn't advertised to Purify all Buffs. No one even stopped to verify. Someone on YouTube pointed out the potential uses, and people ran to get him. Meanwhile, they had to fix him, which isn't always immediate. He was fixed relatively quickly.

Yes he was as all the CCPs were advertising him to be able to do so all kabam had to do is watch at least one of these videos so they know about it and fix it before his release
    edited October 2019
    Like what is the point of having a CCP and not taking any feedback from the program because if they did this issue would have been resolved before he even came out so no one would've been scammed out of that ability
    So you're assuming they wanted it, knew it, advertised him as that, and then fixed it? That doesn't even make sense.
    In any case, I agree with Vydious. This isn't going anywhere.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited October 2019

So you're assuming they wanted it, knew it, advertised him as that, and then fixed it? That doesn't even make sense.

That's exactly what I think happened in my opinion. I don't think they ignored all the numerous content creator videos that were put out focusing on that specific video. I have no proof but I think after gameplay was introduced they were like holy **** that is too OP.
    I think you are giving the presence/highlighting of the synergy in content creator videos from the time a greater value than they actually had.

It’s difficult to find videos specifically highlighting the synergy and even then it requires the people at Kabam responsible for that synergy to watch the videos which may not even be their job or outside their purview. It’s also unreasonable to demand for character designers to watch every published piece of content on their champion. It is reasonable to expect them to test their creations but even then that testing can be error prone. If they are testing intended functionality the test may (in error) only extend to debuffs placed by nodes and they are then unaware of the interaction with both suicide masteries.

It would be quite easy, and is likely common, for employees of Kabam who watch CCP videos to not understand an interaction is unintended thus leaving it unnoticed until the time at which the knowledgeable parties are made aware of an interaction.

For this reason it’s important for players, especially willing members of the CCP since they have early access, to question interactions that are either particularly powerful, ambiguous, difficult to understand or seem to contradict the wording of an ability. This way the Kabam team members who are responsible for these interactions can clarify, correct them ASAP, or (in the case of some players belief) be held to account and so the player base is well informed and errors are minimized. I’m not saying fault lies with players or the the CCP for these errors but that they can help reduce or eliminate some of them before they are released into the game by actively questioning abilities in the spaces provided to them (like champion spotlights, the bug forums, and whatever method is used for the CCP to communicate with Kabam).

Too many werdz, apologies.

That's exactly what I think happened in my opinion. I don't think they ignored all the numerous content creator videos that were put out focusing on that specific video. I have no proof but I think after gameplay was introduced they were like holy **** that is too OP.
    I think you are giving the presence/highlighting of the synergy in content creator videos from the time a greater value than they actually had.

It’s difficult to find videos specifically highlighting the synergy and even then it requires the people at Kabam responsible for that synergy to watch the videos which may not even be their job or outside their purview. It’s also unreasonable to demand for character designers to watch every published piece of content on their champion. It is reasonable to expect them to test their creations but even then that testing can be error prone. If they are testing intended functionality the test may (in error) only extend to debuffs placed by nodes and they are then unaware of the interaction with both suicide masteries.

It would be quite easy, and is likely common, for employees of Kabam who watch CCP videos to not understand an interaction is unintended thus leaving it unnoticed until the time at which the knowledgeable parties are made aware of an interaction.

For this reason it’s important for players, especially willing members of the CCP since they have early access, to question interactions that are either particularly powerful, ambiguous, difficult to understand or seem to contradict the wording of an ability. This way the Kabam team members who are responsible for these interactions can clarify, correct them ASAP, or (in the case of some players belief) be held to account and so the player base is well informed and errors are minimized. I’m not saying fault lies with players or the the CCP for these errors but that they can help reduce or eliminate some of them before they are released into the game by actively questioning abilities in the spaces provided to them (like champion spotlights, the bug forums, and whatever method is used for the CCP to communicate with Kabam).

No its not. Seatin, Legacy, and Briangrant all had videos highlighting the synergy and they're just the youtubers that I was watching at the time. When the champ comes out there's always someone in every alliance that points to a youtubers video to valid if they're worth getting. I think you're highly underrating the youtubers that everyone in the forum knows by name.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★

No its not. Seatin, Legacy, and Briangrant all had videos highlighting the synergy and they're just the youtubers that I was watching at the time. When the champ comes out there's always someone in every alliance that points to a youtubers video to valid if they're worth getting. I think you're highly underrating the youtubers that everyone in the forum knows by name.
    Got links? (Cite your source)

Also that ignores a huge portion of what I said about the people responsible for the champion being aware of those videos in the first place.

I know for a fact BG published his video specifically about the two interactions with the synergy (heal being an extendable buff was also fixed and this is rarely mentioned) on Reddit within 24 hours of the fix being announced. It’s entirely possible that the character designer was somehow made aware by this specific video and immediately took action upon the revelation.
  • mbracembrace Posts: 821 ★★★
    People talk about making cull more durable, but it would also be nice to have rout activate quicker. I tend to draw a heavy attack by the time I get it going.
    How come the Cull and Ebony thread has been hijack by NF neutering..

if kabam did more testing they should have noticed that NF was purifying more debuffs than intended.. if it is clearly stated in NF description and ability that he can remove debuff (take note: a debuff not debuff’s’). Then people should not assume. But if it was not clearly stated in his abilities. Then it’s a nerf.

Cull Obsidian is a one trick pony with raw damage once he complete his task.. block proficiency is poor, no immunities, and not suitable for all content. If Kabam reduces his raw damage from 100% to 80% but gives him block proficiency and other utility.. he will become more useful and might even be used in AW as attacker or defender.

Ebony Maw on the other hand doesn’t really do much offensively, a 5* or 6* that has attack that is weaker than some 3* maxed champions. Only good he can do is make opponents miss him and waste time.. unlike in the MCU, where only way to win against his strong psychic abilities, Ironman IW blasted the spaceship wall and Maw got suck into space.
This discussion has been closed.