**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Is the new dodge chance really 2%?

Crazy_JamieCrazy_Jamie Posts: 345 ★★
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Let me start by saying that I know how RNG works, and I realise that what I've just experienced may well be a massive outlier. But given how unlikely it was, I'm interested to see what others have experienced this war.

So, Tier 4. Global node is dodge, which after the nerf gives a 2% chance to evade for all small characters. I'm fighting a 5/65 Medusa on a debuff immunity node. Not normally an issue, and didn't expect it to be an issue with the nerfed dodge. However, the first fight I landed twenty hits or so, and she evaded five times. I died. Fine, I got unlucky. Next fight, she evaded three times in the first ten hits. Died. Ok, very unlucky. Third fight, she evades once before I even land a hit, and then after two short combos she evades two more times consecutively. So that's three times in five hits. Now I fully appreciate that even if for whatever reason the dodge node hasn't been nerfed, that is still a ridiculously unlucky hit rate. But it's even more unlucky given that the chance of her evading should be 2%, and she's done it 11 times in about 40 attempted strikes. For maths fans, that's about 14 times more often that she strictly should have. And for completeness, she was the first small opponent that I faced, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I will reiterate that this isn't me complaining. Once again, I know how RNG works. And if that fight was a massive outlier and others haven't noticed any issues, so be it. But I just thought given how ridiculously high the number of evades was, it was worth flagging up and seeing what others have experienced. So, anyone else having issues with dodge even after the nerf?

Comments

• ScholiaScholia Posts: 116
    I noticed this fighting medusa in the last off season war. She evaded me an insane amount of times within 30 seconds. Maybe I was just as unlucky, or maybe not...
  • djr17djr17 Posts: 650 ★★★
    I would wager unlucky. I can't tell you how many times I've fought BW with her 3% chance and evades more than all the spidermen combined.
  • RulllorRulllor Posts: 155
    What is on the published notes versus what the percentage is on the code may not be accurate. We can't really prove anything but just take the Kabam forum moderators words for it.

At the end of the day, MCoC is Kabam's game and they can do anything they want with it regardless of the ToS (this can change anytime).

This is a free to play game and if you do spend, you're ultimately just renting the pixels.
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    I know in the past kabam has confirmed that some champs get a hidden "evade buff" that lets them evade all attacks for a very short period of time.

That's why ultron can evade 2 attacks in a row when he should only evade once every 7 seconds.

If that's how the global dodge works then that could potentially explain some of the OPs experience. Any time she dodges 2 attacks in a row, it was actually 1 evade instance.

Or it could be completely broken. Both are legitimate options.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

she evades two more times consecutively

I can't address the entire fight without video, but as @Shrimkins states there's been a long debate about the precise mechanics of evade. I believe evade is a state, not a literal evade, that allows champs to evade attacks. A single trigger of this state can evade multiple attacks if they occur quickly enough. Because we usually cannot see when this state exists or for how long, we can't be sure if multiple evades occur with one trigger or multiple triggers.
  • KattohSKattohS Posts: 717 ★★
    I don't even wait for my own auto evade champs to evade on their own with the exception of DD classic and even then I am evading on my own because it just doesn't work like that champion coming from the right side of the screen.
  • Crazy_JamieCrazy_Jamie Posts: 345 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

I can't address the entire fight without video, but as @Shrimkins states there's been a long debate about the precise mechanics of evade. I believe evade is a state, not a literal evade, that allows champs to evade attacks. A single trigger of this state can evade multiple attacks if they occur quickly enough. Because we usually cannot see when this state exists or for how long, we can't be sure if multiple evades occur with one trigger or multiple triggers.
    To clarify, they weren’t two hits immediately after each other in a combo. After she evaded the first one, I stopped the combo. She then evaded the first strike of the second. So the Ultron esq explanation, which is a perfectly good one to raise, doesn’t apply.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    edited January 2020

DNA3000 said:

To clarify, they weren’t two hits immediately after each other in a combo. After she evaded the first one, I stopped the combo. She then evaded the first strike of the second. So the Ultron esq explanation, which is a perfectly good one to raise, doesn’t apply.

One possibility is that the chance to evade isn't bugged, but the duration of the evade is too long, depending on how much time elapsed between the first evade and the second one in sequence.

Edit: another possibility is there's something else we don't know about evade mechanics, because another thing that was discussed back when the Ultron oddity was discussed is that sometimes certain champs seem to be more likely evade a second and even a third time, depending on situationally what was happening at the time. Maybe evade doesn't have a specifically long duration, but it is "sticky" where it lasts until some condition is reached (time being one of them) or alternatively certain conditions can "refresh" it.

It is also possible evade is one of those game mechanics that has never worked "correctly" deep within the game, but as this problem affects a poorly understood mechanism with often probabilistic triggers no one has been able to pin down precisely what's wrong with it.
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Definitely noticed this a lot. Especially since I faced a lot of domino and medusa and sue storm last season. It’s crazy (I’m a math wiz) and the chance is really high. I didn’t face any small champs this war but I’m sure I will coming up this season.
  • Munrolm02Munrolm02 Posts: 88
    I Attempted my first combo against medusa with 2% Dodge and she evaded my first three hits. That’s like winning the lottery. 2% of what are they talking about?