**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Let's work together. What needed changing in AW 1.0?

DD2DD2 Posts: 309 ★★★
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
AW 1.0 had it's problems, but I believe they can be fixed, and I think it should be done with common sense and rationality, because honestly 2.0 will never work.

Maybe we can work as a community to come up with the BEST changes that will make WAR even funner?

So what's your opinion on AW 1.0? What needed changes?

Comments

• R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    I was just ready for a new map to change it up and give it a different feel.

"Maybe" change some nodes and add some new ones w/o removing the difficulty that required strategy.
  • DD2DD2 Posts: 309 ★★★
    There's a natural law in this game, which is:

1. Work hard, grind hard.
    2. Find the best champs through RNG or grind them through arenas.
    3. Rank them up with the available resources that are open to everybody.

Not all champs are created equal so players will naturally seek out the best champs for effective offense and defense, that's what this game boils down to.

AW is about:

1. Correct placement.
    2. Knowing when to attack and when to pull back.
    3. Making adjustments to masteries to maximize effectiveness.
    4. Bringing in the right attackers and the right defenders for the right nodes.
    5. SKILL.

Any chances to this that punish champion effectiveness only ruins the concept of competition.

AW 1.0 had a good scoring system. All that mattered was effective attack and defense and boss clearing and exploration.

Was it boring going up against the same mystics like Mordo, Magik, Dormammu, Juggernaut, and the occasional power gain Hyperion? Yes, but that's the way this game works. Effectiveness matters more than anything else. If I'm bored, that's my problem.

I'm very open to hearing what everyone has to say. Most importantly Kabam has to make changes that make sense and makes the game MORE FUN and LESS of a grind. Defender diversity increases grind 10x at least and devalues all our hard work.

To be honest, I'm not sure what needs changes in AW 1.0. Will a different background make it more fun? Maybe, but the game is still the same. Does it need node changes? Possibly, but the tiniest change to anything can throw the whole system out of whack and it needs careful consideration.

What was REALLY the problem with AW 1.0? Because to be honest, it was more or less good.
  • NinjAlanNinjAlan Posts: 358 ★★★
    I like the idea or portals, but I think it was abused. At the end of EACH lane there should exist a portal (the only ones on the map) these portals should go to any one of the 5 mini bosses. That I could get behind
  • DL864DL864 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    Bring back defender kills fixes everything
  • GruftyGrufty Posts: 186
    Defender kills need to come back...

Defender diversity could be a good idea but without defender kills its slightly pointless. It should work in a way that you either place a strong defence to earn points from kills or you place a weak defence but earn extra points for diversity.

This way at least would add some strategy back into the war whereas at the moment you could just ask you opponents what their diversity is and know instantly whether you've won or lost before you've even started.
  • Delta_14Delta_14 Posts: 64
    I genuinely don't get the whole 'facing the same defenders is boring' thing.

I've fought 4 NCs/Mordos/Magiks in a row previously, and my reaction certainly wasn't 'that was boring'... more along the lines of 'that was hard'. Some champs are great for attack, some champs are (were?) great for defense. It was the challenge that made it interesting. Adding a diversity rating is always going to force people to place defenders less suited to the task (unless Kabam implements 'customisable nodes', but that's a whole different idea).

Personally I'd much rather see a reversion to AW 1.0, but I could get on board with the new map fairly easily (although it has its issues). I think defender kills need to come back (otherwise there really is no way to balance out diversity ratings). I also think the nodes need to be much harder, or 100% exploration will continue to be the standard. As I've said, I'm not a fan of diversity rating, but I suspect Kabam have entrenched themselves too far to back track on that now.
  • RixobRixob Posts: 505 ★★
    I would like to see both wars run. Classic AW and new AW. Tweak a couple of things in AW 1.0 like thorns and slashed tires and i think that would be cool
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    Rixob wrote: »
    I would like to see both wars run. Classic AW and new AW. Tweak a couple of things in AW 1.0 like thorns and slashed tires and i think that would be cool

If that was ever a possibility I don't think I would see a reason to change those nodes in AW 1.0.
    You have this AW which is harder, requires skill, and certain champs OR you have this easier one that require none of those options.
    So if certain nodes are an issue for whatever alliance than go to 2.0 until you learn how to handle them.