**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I was thinking: is starburst the worst node design ever?

lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
Its just unavoidable degen damage. Only 2 counters: hulk rags and max sig namor. If they placed this node on any 6.2/3/4 fight, pretty much every champ will die to degen damage. I wonder: what were they thinking when they made the node?

Comments

• Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Since it’s not based on health but is just a set value that always caps at the same damage the deeper you get the stronger your regen chanps are
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Since it’s not based on health but is just a set value that always caps at the same damage the deeper you get the stronger your regen chanps are

What are you talking about?
    edited July 2020

Its just unavoidable degen damage. Only 2 counters: hulk rags and max sig namor. If they placed this node on any 6.2/3/4 fight, pretty much every champ will die to degen damage. I wonder: what were they thinking when they made the node?

Ghost with hood synergy can counter it to some extent as well. But it's still unavoidable damage in the end.
    edited July 2020
    The only time I'd probably prefer aspect of war to starburst is when there's a killmonger on aspect of war.
  • Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★
    Corvus can also counter it at 1 HP Along with CMM with her indestructible, also just the flat 3.6% degen nodes are waaaaaay worse

Lvernon15 said:

The damage is just a number, it doesn’t increase as content gets harder while your champs do get stronger so in early content it doesn’t cause issues because the fights are weak, in late content the damage is minimal for strong champs
    Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

The damage is just a number, it doesn’t increase as content gets harder while your champs do get stronger so in early content it doesn’t cause issues because the fights are weak, in late content the damage is minimal for strong champs
    It basically increases with bigger healthpools. Unless you can pretty much have a CMM end a fight in 12 seconds of her indestructible (or whatever duration), the moment it ends, you're gonna drain to death.
    The last starburst fight I remember was the punisher in RTTL 4.4 (I think). I used a 4* maxed gulk, yet almost died to the degen. I really wonder how people did that fight without him. And the funny thing is that he only had like 100k health.
    Imagine a fight in act 6.4 with about 400k health, even with a 5* rank 5 gulk, you're gonna die to that degen.

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

It basically increases with bigger healthpools. Unless you can pretty much have a CMM end a fight in 12 seconds of her indestructible (or whatever duration), the moment it ends, you're gonna drain to death.
    The damage per tick is the same wether you’re fighting a 1000 or a 10000000 health opponent if they’re at the same % health, if there’s starburst in act 6 a 5-65 champ with regen could outheal it
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

The damage per tick is the same wether you’re fighting a 1000 or a 10000000 health opponent if they’re at the same % health, if there’s starburst in act 6 a 5-65 champ with regen could outheal it
    and what about when the opponent is at like 10%? You are dying super fast
    Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Really? Because I'm pretty sure the node states the degen is based on "missing health". The numerical value of missing health, not the percentage. It's different values across map 6, RTTL, and act 4.
    mum_m2 said:

not even close. I'll take starburst over so many others.

There's some really challenging ones, but there's no single node that punishes you the same way Strength in #'s does. You have to play perfect for an entire path of 8 fights and then fight a relatively easier boss fight.

No Retreat is probably the worst.

I really hate all of the niche nodes. Like can't stop won't stop and the power sting paths. I just want to play the game, not sit any wait forever to pull a champ, rank someone up i don't want to, and then clear the path.

Yeah, I completely forgot about can't stop won't stop!
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    Mercy and aspect of war are so much worse
  • Shamir51Shamir51 Posts: 849 ★★★★
    Corvus with suicides and willpower doesn’t lose health from starburst. The regen he gets from double edge counters the degen. At least that’s what I’ve noticed in map 6 AQ- I’ve never come out of a fight (with starburst) with less health.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    If you think Starburst is the worst, you have a lot of fun stuff in store later on
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,184 ★★★★★

You should see this thread.
  • Doomsfist79Doomsfist79 Posts: 922 ★★★

Gladiator Hulk says no..

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Really? Because I'm pretty sure the node states the degen is based on "missing health". The numerical value of missing health, not the percentage. It's different values across map 6, RTTL, and act 4.
    I take map 7 starburst sometimes and the damage is identical to that if a starburst node in act 4, it works by percent with the strongest possible tick being 150 no matter what content you’re in. Test it for yourself if you don’t believe me, it’s in v1 and 2 and I also believe weaker opponents have it in either 4.3.1 or 4.3.2
    Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

I take map 7 starburst sometimes and the damage is identical to that if a starburst node in act 4, it works by percent with the strongest possible tick being 150 no matter what content you’re in. Test it for yourself if you don’t believe me, it’s in v1 and 2 and I also believe weaker opponents have it in either 4.3.1 or 4.3.2
    Huh, feels like there was a little change at some point if that's what it actually is today.

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Lvernon15 said:

Huh, feels like there was a little change at some point if that's what it actually is today.
    It’s always been like that to my knowledge, even in 2016/2017 when I was doing act 4 and rttl it was the same in both of those
  • NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,911 ★★★★★
    Nah starburst is alright