**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Silver Surfer: Is he a dud? - self promotion warning

2»

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    Savage said:

Oh great, the Silver Surfer club is back at it again. 🙄

I'll just wait for the Tune-Up or Update.

look, the negativity club is back at it again
    Lunae said:

I dont know if that’s the general opinion that he’s trash, but my argument is that for what he does compared to the other cosmics it just isn’t tantalizing enough. He may not be the hardest to use or master, but compared to the other top tier cosmics or even champions he might as well be.

At the very least he should get a damage boost so that becomes the draw in using him. There are plenty of champions in the game like Starlord and Proxima who players hardly use despite their capability to dish out massive amounts of damage due to lack of utility and imo Surfer even sits below them, both who I don’t think need any buffs because at least they have their damage.

It’s not because his damage isn’t good, it’s just because his rotation or utility for me doesn’t justify his use outside of the random urge to play him. I’ve said in the past that he’s Phoenix and Sentry tier and the assumption is that I mean he’s meme tier, but I don’t. I think they’re fun champions with decent damage, but that’s all they are which is why no one talks about them and Surfer won’t fair any better just because of the little utility he has.

If he going to have a thing it should be big damage over decent damage and little utility because as he is now he gets overshadowed by other champions who either have big damage or more utility, even both (top tier cosmics), all the while demanding a lot less then his play style. I don’t think he’s underrated, he’s long past “overlooked” to being forgotten and this is only going to get worse the better champions Kabam releases. If he was as simple to play and maintain as the other cosmics then his damage would be fine, hell even if he just had more utility I wouldn’t be so critical of him. As he is now he either needs more utility or more damage and then he could be a champion I could really get excited about.

Is Agent Venom such an lesser champion just because he can shrug off debuffs and is anti evade versus Surfer who has coldsnap, shock, incinerate resistance and is anti miss? Marginally at most. Random example, but it’s the one that popped into my head.

Your first paragraph is where I have a problem. So what if he isn’t like top cosmics? Not everyone has to be, and honestly, not everyone should be. To paraphrase Syndrome, if everybody’s a god tier, nobody is. If every champion can do things at the level of Hyperion and Corvus and CMM, then there is no point to releasing new champions because everyone can do everything another champion could.

The joy of this game is finding out what you can do with the champions that aren’t as good as the widely accepted great ones. The mentality of “what he does compared to the other cosmics it just isn’t tantalizing enough.” Is the biggest problem I have with this game. People will get a very solid cosmic champ, then say it’s not a Hyperion or Corvus or whatever and complain about it. Yes, surfer might not be the next Hyperion or Corvus, but that’s okay. If someone gets Surfer before any of those guys, they can still use him to do the things they need until they get that next great cosmic pull.

I see your points, just thought I’d voice my opinion on them @Lunae. No disrespect or anything intended.

Oh, we on that whole "real life levels would be age" thing @lowlevelplayer? Lol, nice gameplay man

thing is he’s probably older than me
    i doubt it
    I’m 67% sure you are. (Brownie points if you get the reference)
    would it be weird for me to ask how old u are?
    definitely old enough to know I’m not answering that question, but let’s just say I’m still in school. And not in college like Stevie, school
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★

Lunae said:

I dont know if that’s the general opinion that he’s trash, but my argument is that for what he does compared to the other cosmics it just isn’t tantalizing enough. He may not be the hardest to use or master, but compared to the other top tier cosmics or even champions he might as well be.

At the very least he should get a damage boost so that becomes the draw in using him. There are plenty of champions in the game like Starlord and Proxima who players hardly use despite their capability to dish out massive amounts of damage due to lack of utility and imo Surfer even sits below them, both who I don’t think need any buffs because at least they have their damage.

It’s not because his damage isn’t good, it’s just because his rotation or utility for me doesn’t justify his use outside of the random urge to play him. I’ve said in the past that he’s Phoenix and Sentry tier and the assumption is that I mean he’s meme tier, but I don’t. I think they’re fun champions with decent damage, but that’s all they are which is why no one talks about them and Surfer won’t fair any better just because of the little utility he has.

If he going to have a thing it should be big damage over decent damage and little utility because as he is now he gets overshadowed by other champions who either have big damage or more utility, even both (top tier cosmics), all the while demanding a lot less then his play style. I don’t think he’s underrated, he’s long past “overlooked” to being forgotten and this is only going to get worse the better champions Kabam releases. If he was as simple to play and maintain as the other cosmics then his damage would be fine, hell even if he just had more utility I wouldn’t be so critical of him. As he is now he either needs more utility or more damage and then he could be a champion I could really get excited about.

Is Agent Venom such an lesser champion just because he can shrug off debuffs and is anti evade versus Surfer who has coldsnap, shock, incinerate resistance and is anti miss? Marginally at most. Random example, but it’s the one that popped into my head.

Your first paragraph is where I have a problem. So what if he isn’t like top cosmics? Not everyone has to be, and honestly, not everyone should be. To paraphrase Syndrome, if everybody’s a god tier, nobody is. If every champion can do things at the level of Hyperion and Corvus and CMM, then there is no point to releasing new champions because everyone can do everything another champion could.

The joy of this game is finding out what you can do with the champions that aren’t as good as the widely accepted great ones. The mentality of “what he does compared to the other cosmics it just isn’t tantalizing enough.” Is the biggest problem I have with this game. People will get a very solid cosmic champ, then say it’s not a Hyperion or Corvus or whatever and complain about it. Yes, surfer might not be the next Hyperion or Corvus, but that’s okay. If someone gets Surfer before any of those guys, they can still use him to do the things they need until they get that next great cosmic pull.

I see your points, just thought I’d voice my opinion on them @Lunae. No disrespect or anything intended.
    No worries I get your point, but the reason I’m so critical of him is because he’s not as simple as Corvus, Hyperion and CMM and that’s the let down. I’m sure many players look at him and write him off because they don’t want to read his abilities or figure out how to play him while others are intrigued by the prospect of figuring him out and when they do, or when I did atleast, it just felt like he should have something more spectacular, not just decent. Its that desire to be rewarded for jumping though the hoops. Thats my whole argument, not reducing him to trash. I’m not arguing every champions should be the best, Silver Surfer just looked more amazing to me based on his playstyle then he really was. Imagine if after building up Proxima Midnight and her damage was just decent how pointless it would feel? I’m not even arguing to make him beyond god tier, I don’t believe a damage boost would do that or even change the communities opinion of him, but at least then he would have more of a reason to be played then just for his limited resistance and vigilance buff.

Take Guardian for example, you just spam sp3s then an sp2 and then boom amazing. If his damage was sub par I wouldn’t be critical of him because he’d be just another champ and that’d be fine, but then compare him to Invisble Woman who works pretty much the same and IW to me suddenly seems way more poorly designed and for what when a champion like Guardians damage is so more accessible. In the end it’s all subjective and there are player that feel he does enough, but I just want to be clear my point was never to paint Surfer as meme tier.
  • BadPullsMarcoBadPullsMarco Posts: 418 ★★★
    Ahh yesss...the thread has been moved to tips...a noble death for the tread. Till next time Surfer needs a buff thread...

Ahh yesss...the thread has been moved to tips...a noble death for the tread. Till next time Surfer needs a buff thread...

but this isn’t a surfer needs a buff thread...
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    I for one, am honored that someone, or some AI decided that my video counted as useful enough to be considered strategy or tips.
  • BadPullsMarcoBadPullsMarco Posts: 418 ★★★
    Let’s be honest @SpideyFunko , no thread on Surfer ever last long before it becomes a please, please just tweak him a bit. It’s natural, he’s just so cool and just so “yeah...yeah, he’s good...(summoner smiles at his Surfer than picks someone else).”

I for one, am honored that someone, or some AI decided that my video counted as useful enough to be considered strategy or tips.

the audio alone makes it tips
  • iRanjaniRanjan Posts: 64
    Greekhit said:

Here’s a compilation of random posts of mine regarding Surfer. I post about almost exclusively, so much so that I’m pretty sure they are actively deleting any posts I make about him. In short I think he has the potential to be amazing with such minor tweaks and I think he’s my favorite champion to play. (I’ve even written some code to offer a more literal suggestion)

I spent just about all weekend playing him and testing him out with different synergies and I have to say, he is probably on my top 5 favorite characters to play both animation and concept wise. Everything about him is so smooth and the concept of his kit works really well and flows with the rhythm of battle. This being said, unfortunately I’m a bit let down with what I can produce with this character.

I believe after a bunch of trial and error, the best rotation I have found is this:

Immediately: Heavy/phase to generate power gain, this will speed up the following process.

Next: Attack until sp1 is available and use it when amor or fury is available in power cosmic. This will reset power gain.

Next: Repeat previous step until this time the opposite buff that you choose pops up. Activate sp1 to consume that now granting you 2 fury, 2 armor and refreshing power gain.

The final step: Build up sp3 using your heavy/phase to activate power gain as needed to refresh and keep all buffs active. (Power gain falls off twice as fast, so only keep one on at a time so when you activate it, it always is unique, argo, refreshing all the other buffs) Use Sp3 and enjoy.

At this point, if everything was followed appropriately, your energy burst damage from all your buffs should be decent and your just using your heavy to proct power gain to refresh everything while you go trigger happy on (now) unblockable sp2s.

Useful synergies:

Doctor Strange: Shorter power cosmic cool down (makes timing of power gain activations easier).

Hiendall + Guillotine : An extra buff for more energy damage.

The Problem:

This rotation is so brutally difficult to keep up. Literally if anything goes wrong, it’s over, plain and simple, buffs fall off and your back to square one.

This would be fine of course but the problem is, even under that intense game play precision, the damage, honestly... is just good.

I guess what I’m saying is, it’s ok to make something very difficult to maintain as long as the rewards are in kind but with Surfer, that skill is just not rewarded and I think that’s what’s bumming me out.

It’s rare that I find a champ that I love everything about and thoroughly enjoy playing with and feel like some how these pixels are special to me and Surfers got it!
    It’s just...his damage/utility is not there. In fact the only place this worked was ROL Winter Soldier and that was only because he can’t throw special 3s.

My tweaks:

Damage: Just increase his attack stats by 25%, I think it will go a long way.

Quality of Life: Increase buff duration by 25%-50%. We need some time to deal with opponents special attacks.

Utility: If power cosmic is unavailable, heavy attack siphons buff from opponent for 5-8 seconds. This will give him access to more buffs that are not unique to him for more energy damage and since they are now unique, power cosmic buffs sustainability (i.e. refreshing fury, armor and power gain).

If phasing a projectile, Surfer absorbs object through board and metamorphoses it to a plume of regenerative gas on the other side. (This will help with sustainability)

I know this was long, but this character has soooo much potential and barely needs to be tweaked for him to be what...at least I think he should be. He’s so awesome, I want to use him everywhere but as it is now...he’s just prestige.

s I do think he’ll age quit well. It’s important that we keep in mind that we don’t know what kind of crazy nodes the team have waiting for us in the future. Ruminating on his passive immunity list, the way it’s structured can’t be an accident and may have larger reaches then just willpower and buffs.

With Surfer, it could be that like many of the lesser 5 stars from mcoc antiquity, that once available as a 6 star from which natural rank was that of R4, the boost in power really brought them more into the light from which the lack of resources (understandably) cast them away. The same maybe true for when it’s possible for Surfer to be obtained as a 7 star or at R4 duped as a 6 star but unfortunately only time will tell.

Conclusion for Silver Surfer:
    Prestige dud 🤣
    Please Kabam - buff him up... at least considering his iconic status. Make him a cosmic God
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    iRanjan said:

Greekhit said:

Here’s a compilation of random posts of mine regarding Surfer. I post about almost exclusively, so much so that I’m pretty sure they are actively deleting any posts I make about him. In short I think he has the potential to be amazing with such minor tweaks and I think he’s my favorite champion to play. (I’ve even written some code to offer a more literal suggestion)

I spent just about all weekend playing him and testing him out with different synergies and I have to say, he is probably on my top 5 favorite characters to play both animation and concept wise. Everything about him is so smooth and the concept of his kit works really well and flows with the rhythm of battle. This being said, unfortunately I’m a bit let down with what I can produce with this character.

I believe after a bunch of trial and error, the best rotation I have found is this:
    I
    Immediately: Heavy/phase to generate power gain, this will speed up the following process.

Next: Attack until sp1 is available and use it when amor or fury is available in power cosmic. This will reset power gain.

Next: Repeat previous step until this time the opposite buff that you choose pops up. Activate sp1 to consume that now granting you 2 fury, 2 armor and refreshing power gain.

The final step: Build up sp3 using your heavy/phase to activate power gain as needed to refresh and keep all buffs active. (Power gain falls off twice as fast, so only keep one on at a time so when you activate it, it always is unique, argo, refreshing all the other buffs) Use Sp3 and enjoy.

At this point, if everything was followed appropriately, your energy burst damage from all your buffs should be decent and your just using your heavy to proct power gain to refresh everything while you go trigger happy on (now) unblockable sp2s.

Useful synergies:

Doctor Strange: Shorter power cosmic cool down (makes timing of power gain activations easier).

Hiendall + Guillotine : An extra buff for more energy damage.

The Problem:

This rotation is so brutally difficult to keep up. Literally if anything goes wrong, it’s over, plain and simple, buffs fall off and your back to square one.

This would be fine of course but the problem is, even under that intense game play precision, the damage, honestly... is just good.

I guess what I’m saying is, it’s ok to make something very difficult to maintain as long as the rewards are in kind but with Surfer, that skill is just not rewarded and I think that’s what’s bumming me out.

It’s rare that I find a champ that I love everything about and thoroughly enjoy playing with and feel like some how these pixels are special to me and Surfers got it!
    It’s just...his damage/utility is not there. In fact the only place this worked was ROL Winter Soldier and that was only because he can’t throw special 3s.

My tweaks:

Damage: Just increase his attack stats by 25%, I think it will go a long way.

Quality of Life: Increase buff duration by 25%-50%. We need some time to deal with opponents special attacks.

Utility: If power cosmic is unavailable, heavy attack siphons buff from opponent for 5-8 seconds. This will give him access to more buffs that are not unique to him for more energy damage and since they are now unique, power cosmic buffs sustainability (i.e. refreshing fury, armor and power gain).

If phasing a projectile, Surfer absorbs object through board and metamorphoses it to a plume of regenerative gas on the other side. (This will help with sustainability)

I know this was long, but this character has soooo much potential and barely needs to be tweaked for him to be what...at least I think he should be. He’s so awesome, I want to use him everywhere but as it is now...he’s just prestige.

s I do think he’ll age quit well. It’s important that we keep in mind that we don’t know what kind of crazy nodes the team have waiting for us in the future. Ruminating on his passive immunity list, the way it’s structured can’t be an accident and may have larger reaches then just willpower and buffs.

With Surfer, it could be that like many of the lesser 5 stars from mcoc antiquity, that once available as a 6 star from which natural rank was that of R4, the boost in power really brought them more into the light from which the lack of resources (understandably) cast them away. The same maybe true for when it’s possible for Surfer to be obtained as a 7 star or at R4 duped as a 6 star but unfortunately only time will tell.

Conclusion for Silver Surfer:
    Prestige dud 🤣
    Please Kabam - buff him up... at least considering his iconic status. Make him a cosmic God
    Hes better than people give him credit for and why revive a dead post?