**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Soundingboard: "Am I burning out, or is the stress to payoff ratio of War too much?"

GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
I just wanted to get a sense of how other people feel, and I'm cool with the possibility of it being a ME problem. I'm just feeling like War has become more work than enjoyment for the month-long effort. I'm not in a Top Alliance, and I'm quite aware. I'm finding it incredibly frustrating between the AI behavior that leaves less-than-perfect penalties, and the overall Rewards for putting in a month's worth of work. To be more specific, we're in the S1 - Gold 3 range. Lately the latter, but it's not so much about the Rank for me. It's the lack of incentive to push further down our end. I'm really not trying to come off as a complaint. I'm just feeling a deficiency somewhere and I'm wondering if other people are feeling it's not so much worth it where they're at as well. It feels like there are many people earning higher Rewards elsewhere, and the stress is more than what yields a team activity enjoyment. I think there's been so much emphasis on making it a challenging competition that the only real rewarding enjoyment is seen at the top, and it's more stress than anything further down. I don't know what the solution is, other than it might be time for me to take a break. I'm not leaving my guys, we're a team. I just wondered if people felt the same way.

Comments

• Options
    Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Yes.
  • Options
    Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    100%. Skipped war this go completely, nothing in our range worth playing for. Ties up more champs than AQ, and doesn’t offer the flexibility in timing OR rewards (use glory how you like).
  • Options
    KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,416 ★★★★★

I agree. I’m plat 3/4, which I know isn’t nearly as bad as the gold rewards, but the stress and the units for boosts etc is not worth it for the meager rewards at the end of the month. It would be good if war victor crystals had a purpose, or if rewards for winning wars were good. And maybe a solo objective people that are later in the game could benefit from...

Plat 4 rewards are so bad compared to the above. And yeah the war victor crystals are just terrible. Definitely agree
  • Options
    SneakyWarriorSneakyWarrior Posts: 853 ★★★★
    just give up on war like me. it frees up your champs so you can do other content that you may want to do + stress levels are not through the roof anymore.
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★

I agree. I’m plat 3/4, which I know isn’t nearly as bad as the gold rewards, but the stress and the units for boosts etc is not worth it for the meager rewards at the end of the month. It would be good if war victor crystals had a purpose, or if rewards for winning wars were good. And maybe a solo objective people that are later in the game could benefit from...

Agreed here. The season rewards are fine in my opinion, and the highest I’ve got was silver 1.... BUT, the individual war rewards plus the matchmaking make the war season rather blah and quite frankly unenjoyable. If you actually try to win, it seems that you get penalized by unfair matchmaking. Then, you get an empty war, or one that has 5 defenders.

The whole system needs a tweak IMO, but not the format.
  • Options
    HilldarHilldar Posts: 194 ★★
    Going AQ only was the best decision I’ve ever made in this game. You can buy 2 full t5b per month just running map 5x5 and use few, if any resources. War is not worth it for the rewards and you have all your champs to do content. No brainer unless you truly love the challenge of war.
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    I agree. The rewards for ally's in the gold/silver region are horrendous.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★

just give up on war like me. it frees up your champs so you can do other content that you may want to do + stress levels are not through the roof anymore.

It's the stress that's getting to me. I'm not saying it shouldn't be. Any competition is, really. It's just with everything going on with it, it's hard to look at the end-goal and say it feels worth it.
  • Options
    Noodes_Noodes_ Posts: 113
    Rewards suck, but I don’t find it stressful. My alliance barely has 10 active players, and we run 1 BG wars. At the top of gold3 right now, but we just play relaxed and whatever happens, happens
  • Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    You are burning out.
  • Options
    ABOMBABOMB Posts: 564 ★★★
    I can definitely see where your coming from broham. We usually don't run wars during off season and I look forward to it LOL.
  • Options
    VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    The rewards for Gold 1 and below aren't worth it if you're spending a ton of units just to clear a battlefield. You can get those rewards waaaaay less and without being stressed for a month on other game modes. War is only beneficial if you're at the top or if you have a stacked roster in a low alliance to avoid spending.

TLDR; Rewards suck for those not in the top.
  • Options
    Seanl85Seanl85 Posts: 34
    I felt the same a couple of months ago. My ally was gold 1, map 6x5. Its definitely burn out. I switched to an aq focused ally. Still map 6x5 but only 1 bg in wars. Best decision i ever made. Funny thing is im enjoying war when i do it now. Maybe see if your ally will agree to a break for a season
  • Options
    OctoberstackOctoberstack Posts: 872 ★★★★
    I can definitely sympathise, as I’ve felt a similar way in the past. It may be a case of just finding the right alliance for you though.

I remember I used to feel burnt out playing war at a Plat 4 alliance, as it constantly felt like we were putting in every effort but left unable to progress further, subsequently leaving us dissatisfied with our perceived cost-to-rewards ratio of AW.

But currently I’m fortunate to be part of an alliance where AW feels much more like a fun group activity. We are relatively relaxed but play smart, and we’ve easily maintained Plat 1 for the last 6 seasons with very little resource cost or stress.

But beyond that, I do agree that the current spread of AW season rewards are somewhat top-heavy. From a certain point and below, you’re not really receiving anything you wouldn’t be able to readily farm elsewhere, so I can definitely understand the lack of incentive to continue pushing war for some.
  • Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    The only reason I’m still in an alliance or in a competitive alliance is because I couldn’t bring myself to leave my current one. Aq is too boring(great pay off tho), and aw is stressful and unrewarding.
  • Options
    I personally love AW and prioritise it over AQ. I find AQ to be boring - the same few fights everyday, it’s like a job and there’s no penalty for failure and no real reward for skill.
    I might be a bit more competitive than you are but I’m also playing at P1/2 - well before I had to leave (can’t commit to alliances full stop right now) - and the rewards there are pretty juicy.

If your roster is well developed I don’t see much benefit to low tier AW. You might feel a bit more enthusiastic if you were getting platinum rewards and the challenge is a bit more interesting. It’ll give you more confidence across other late-game content too.
  • Options
    Pratham02Pratham02 Posts: 281 ★★
    I'd recommend going into an aq only ally for a few months , I was feeling the same. Between aq and aw I felt a bit too restricted , so I ended up quitting aw for about 3 months , got back for this season and I'm enjoying it .
  • Options
    Little_Crocodili29Little_Crocodili29 Posts: 268 ★★★
    After 3 and a half years at the head of an alli I built from scratch this summer I stepped down coz of rl. My alli was my baby and I was extremely commited to my crew. Tho we were never hardcore - maps 6,5,4 and G2 was the norm so we could chill and have fun together - it was still a second job to me. A rhythm I can no longer take on.

It's why we often come to kbm with feedback asking for quality of life improvements. Allis are too schedule heavy on the leaders and officers, and the team modes are very schedule heavy on the players.

Anyways, I played solo for a bit but it was mind numbing boring. I love this game and don't want to give it up completely, nor my acc which I painstakinlgly grew. Back from when champs were very hard to come by. (Act 5 with a handful of non god tier 4*s. Been there. Done that lol).

It's a whole different experience not leading. The time I used to recrute, manage, strategize... I can now use to actually play. Recently I found a good AQ focused alli. Easy and quick Map 5 runs. I got plenty champs to use there and still keep for content. Good rewards.

I don't regret for one second not doing AW anymore. I don't miss having my best defenders / attackers locked most of the week. I've been able to cover a lot more content. And frankly the last version of AW is the worst I ever experienced. I hate the node combinations, defense tactics. It's just not a fun mode as it used to be (long time ago). And the rewards definitely suck tenfold for middle bracket allis imo, for all the time and effort it requires.

@GroundedWisdom we know how passionate (or hard headed) you were about AW last few months ;) Whatever your opinion on how it works. It is what it is and truth is... it's not really worth it (again - imho). I totally suggest taking a break from it. You'll feel like a new player :)
  • Options
    Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 1,783 ★★★★★
    Being part of an ally for almost 2 years and having participated in (almost - but one) every single war day, the only thing I really enjoyed was the Season rewards. Daily rewards suck, but most importantly, having 8 of your top champs locked every other day was a major turn-off for me, now that the game offers sooo much content to do. Even the daily runs on monthly side-quests possibly require the skills of a champ that could be locked up in War.

I switched over to a non-War and AQ-Map 5-only alliance and I am not looking back. I think it's a great decision. No burn-out, minimum Alliance commitment and solid rewards from AQ that ensure my progression. And I'm sure that the Officers in my current alliance are way happier and stress-free than Officers in war-participating alliances.

TL/DR: War isn't worth it. For me, at least.
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I've been sick of war for awhile now. I've been bouncing around for awhile now since my alliance folded due to the war matchmaking issues. I've run plat 2-4 recently. Used to run plat 1. I think I need to go map 7 and casual war.
  • Options
    GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Monke said:

I have an Idea for a replacement of AW, but I’m gonna get disagreed into oblivion so ima just shush

Now I`m curious!!! Please share?

If you do not enjoy war, find an alliance that still does the aq maps you would like to do, and that has optional war. You can join whenever you want, without it feeling too pressuring. You won`t miss out on much if you drop aw.
  • Options
    Aziz5253Aziz5253 Posts: 495 ★★★
    Same here, I'm in a plat 4 alliance and I'm still on the edge about the effort vs rewards thing