Options

Unpopular opinion: Root is a brilliant node and I love it

13»

Comments

• Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,782 ★★★★★
    I agree. Kabam implemented it well in the mutant quest and it takes a little while to get used to but really, its almost the same timing as dexing a special. Also, another plus point is that its not bugged
  • Options
    Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    Its pretty cool and quite fun tbh, unless you are against a tigra with sp2 bias and energize lolol
  • Options
    UnidentifiedCreatureUnidentifiedCreature Posts: 589 ★★★
    I absolutely love this new mechanic. I think it can be both fun an challenging.
  • Options
    QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★
    RDMN said:

Qacob said:

So, to be honest, I don't understand the people complaining. Good job kabam, and I look forward to seeing what else you do with this mechanic.

No one is complaining about the first quest that's understandably easy. What people don't like is, how it's gonna be used in the future based on kabam's track record. You know how quickly content turns annoying and cash grabby and root has a potential to become just that so people are weary.

Also the game is littered with bugs that haven't been resolved and some not even addressed. Let me give you an example.

They announced in previous month's update that act 6 health was reduced from 700% to 600%. The health is still at 700%, people made threads, videos and no answer from kabam. Introducing a new mechanic this month instead of spending time addressing that (among other stuff) is why people are complaining. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.
    Well a lot of people obviously are complaining as there are 21 disagrees on the original post, though I can see your point I dont think it is shared by everyone who isnt praising root.
  • Options
    Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    For people mentioning unblockable specials there are 2 or 3 champs who can deal with that.
    Another option is bring someone who power controls and then you dont have to worry about specials.

So many ways to play this node and i think it looks fun tho will take some getting used to
  • Options
    aroseinbloom39aroseinbloom39 Posts: 62
    edited November 2020

FRITO_Man said:

Think of all the bad nodes you can stack on top of any node.

Do you Bleed with Debuff Immunity?

Of course they're gonna be bad matchups, but they'll avoid those to avoid backlash from the community.

Funnily enough, I took down a do you bleed hawkeye in 6.1 with my doom, coz do you bleed still takes damage through block.

• Options
    Aziz5253Aziz5253 Posts: 495 ★★★

FiiNCH said:

ItsDamien said:

It's silly and an obvious cash grab. This is just to mind f the community to rewire everything they learnt past 5 years. This has nothing to do with skill.

Learning how to rewire what you've learned to do something differently in a given situation is inherently a skill, what do you even mean that it doesn't?
    Skill is basically muscle memory. The more you train, the more movements are stored as muscle memory. Muscle memory allows you to execute these movements without conscious thought. Improvement is to add more complex movements on top of already memorised movements. In doing so, you create a repertoire of instinct movements. It's a ladder, the only way is up.

You will find no sport or art where someone cuts off your ladder to let you fall, just so you can climb up again. Then the climb becomes meaningless due to the lack of real progress.

Kabam obviously doesn't want players to learn based on muscle memory. They don't want us to progress. A large part of their revenue comes from our failure. This root mechanic is just another way for them to make money, but they sell it as if it is good for us.
    Sorry this is nonsense and you typed out a lot of words without really saying anything at all.

Skill is not ‘basically muscle memory’. If that’s the case shouldn’t you be including inverted controls in this then because that’s definitely not unconscious thought.
    Biomechanically it is just that. Repetition creates muscle memory. Skill is nothing more than the well-timed execution of sequential memorised movements. It doesn't matter if you catch a ball, perform a dance or play a mobile game, the learning process is the same.
    If skill was muscle memory, everyone would be skillful. Skill is ability to adapt aptly. Muscle memory is something everyone has and that's not skill.
  • Options
    Crimson8399Crimson8399 Posts: 754 ★★★
    My biggest issue so far is it just seems to throw off the rythm of the fight. Ur going full throttle and then u come to a dead stop. It's manageable but just a hassle to deal with.
  • Options
    Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    It's not an unpopular opinion anymore.
  • Options
    HieitakuHieitaku Posts: 1,370 ★★★★★
    First time experiencing Root just minutes ago. I was using a stacked team of two Ghosts, Wasp, Warlock, and Human Torch.

My feedback: It's not remotely as hard as I expected. But it's probably due to the absence of material buffs on the defender nodes or abilities on the defenders themselves, and the fact that I mostly used either of the Ghosts and the rest were just backup.

It's not unlikely that there will be more troublesome combinations, relatively speaking, in the future. I think it won't be enough to simulate the various potentially problematic combinations and the best way to provide more feedback on it is to experience them in the game.

On the plus side, after evading an opponent's special attack, there are cleaner windows to punish them with a heavy attack (for which a good example is Ghost) compared to where Root isn't there.

Cheers 🍻
  • Options
    SatsuiNoHadouSatsuiNoHadou Posts: 753 ★★★
    I’m loving how root changes up the mechanics by keeping you rooted whilst still being able to evade specials, albeit specials that are right in your face. It’s not really a rewiring of muscle memory like delirium/inverted controls, but more of adapting to different dex timings for the various specials since they’re right next to you at pretty much all times.

A method to mitigate or minimize the effects of root would to hold solid blocks and reparry to reduce the frequency of specials fired off by the AI. Works especially well when you’re using burst damage attackers or power controllers like vision, doom etc if facing rooted defenders with passive power gain that can be quaked.
  • Options
    Jazzy011Jazzy011 Posts: 81
    Root is not bad on most champs, but some champs together with root make for a really fun & interactive experience. You are forced to block, and if it's unblockable or they get beefed up with attack nodes then it's gg.

Hoping to never see it back again, or at least very controlled with specific champs that make it not complete bs.
  • Options
    BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    I was sceptical for sure but I liked it.
  • Options
    SatsuiNoHadouSatsuiNoHadou Posts: 753 ★★★
    It’ll be interesting to see how root can actually benefit champs like Magneto when coupled with stun immune as it’ll give him a long enough window of opportunity to land a charged up heavy attack for more prowessif he’s close enough to the defender after evading the specials. Of course the defender must still have a long enough recovery phase that can be punished. Still it’ll be interesting to see more interactions like these as root becomes more common place after all the testing.
  • Options
    TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 1,315 ★★★★★
    I personally also like it with one exception. It stops me from punishing champs like Cyclops. Maybe my timing was off, but I dodged his SP1, dashed in to punish, and ended up hitting the front of the Root ring instead of Cyclops...

Maybe make the Root ring disappear faster? Otherwise, I thought it was great for allowing me to heavy spam with my Ghost and just get ridiuclous damage.
  • Options
    Normax_XNormax_X Posts: 540 ★★★
    i actually kinda liked it, evade when u can block when u cant, the block damage isn't crazy, and plus every day its a different mechanic it wont always activate on specials, so it might be even better later this week, its nice as long as they dont put unblockable specials node with it on some annoying champions or like no retreat or something, its a fun addition
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,114 ★★★★★

Skill is basically muscle memory. The more you train, the more movements are stored as muscle memory. Muscle memory allows you to execute these movements without conscious thought. Improvement is to add more complex movements on top of already memorised movements. In doing so, you create a repertoire of instinct movements. It's a ladder, the only way is up.

You will find no sport or art where someone cuts off your ladder to let you fall, just so you can climb up again. Then the climb becomes meaningless due to the lack of real progress.

Kabam obviously doesn't want players to learn based on muscle memory. They don't want us to progress. A large part of their revenue comes from our failure. This root mechanic is just another way for them to make money, but they sell it as if it is good for us.

This is... literally the opposite of what skill is. Skill is the ability to adapt to new challenges on the fly and figure out next moves. Literally every professional sport is a series of competitors adapting to each other.

I’m gonna use fighting sports as an example (since this is a fighting game). You have an opponent who likes to keep distance and throw kicks, so you adapt by closing in and using punches or grappling, even if it’s not your strength. Your opponent is stronger than you, you adjust by relying on speed and getting in and out without getting caught/hit. Skill is the ability to recognize the challenge, analyze it, and adjust to it.

Muscle memory is... not that. It’s, frankly, the opposite. It’s responding to every challenge the same way. It should be a tool in your belt such that when the challenge is familiar you can react quickly, but it should be used in conjunction with your skill, otherwise you’re just a training dummy that can complain about getting hit.
  • Options
    Ghostspider231Ghostspider231 Posts: 298 ★★★
    My Groot loves it.
  • Options
    che1che1 Posts: 13
    Why is it taking so long for item use rewards