**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why Apoc Is the 2nd (Arguably the 1st) Best Mutant

BuffBeastBuffBeast Posts: 1,075 ★★★★
edited February 2021 in Strategy and Tips
Yes, you read that right. Apoc Is at least a top 2 mutant. Forget about Russian tin CAIW, the living magnet and budget doc ock who also happens to be from Russia. We’re talking about the mutant GOD. Why is he a top 2 (at least) mutant? Let’s see

Let’s talk about abilities.
Horsemen Pre-Fight
Apocs claim to fame. You can either choose to ramp him up by taking 3 or 2 fights, or bringing in a Mr. Sinister. With this ability, you can make your top mutants even more powerful, or take not so good mutants like bishop, PL, or DPX and make them playable. They gain:
Bleed immunity
A passive unstoppable once per fight when struck
Go unblockable when the opponent purifies a debuff
30% offensive ability accuracy
And a passive prowess increasing special damage by 50%
Like mentioned before this ability can make mutants like 10000% better than they already are. And that’s not it. With wolverine, psylocke,AA,gambit, and the storms, he gives them even MORE benefits with the horsemen ability through synergies. The most useful of those would probably be gambit, because he take ABSOLUTELY 0 damage on block with 10 kinetic charges. While we’re talking synergies, he has synergies with Kang and Cable that make them go from trash to decent and *sigh* gOd-TiEr. Cable is just phenomenal with this synergy.

Having had been the FASTEST abyss thing killer for about... a day? Can’t quite remember. Sorry. (Shulk FTW)

Back to Apocs abilities.
Every time the opponent evades, they get 10 passive (anti evade?) charges. These CANNOT be affected by AAR. These anti evades persist for the whole quest.
He also reduces purify ability accuracy by 100%. This is some TOP TIER utility, as it counters many annoying skill defenders.

Apocalypse also gains up to four persistent charges.
Whether or not you spend those for charges on giving one of your mutants the horsemen ability or keeping them for apoc is up to you
He gains a passive prowess increasing special damage by 40% per charge.
At 3 charges, he becomes stun immune while striking.
At four charges, he can stun the opponent when hitting their block with a light attack.
Also, at 4 charges, apoc applies BOTH debuffs from his specials, but we’ll get into that later.

Immunities
Apoc can be immune to
Bleed
Incinerate
Disorient
The only catch is, he has to suffer from said debuffs for 8 seconds. They also persist for the entire quest once developed. Now, 8 seconds isn’t too bad, but that’s definitely gonna be some health down the drain.

Debuffs and specials
Apoc can apply Degen, Bleed, Concussion, Poison and Weakness debuffs (all non stacking)
The bleed is applied through a heavy attack
The poison and weakness are applied through sp1
The degen and concussion are both applied through sp2.
( end combo with medium for degen on sp2 or poison from sp1, or end combo with light for concussion on sp2 or weakness from sp1)

Now, the reason you want these debuffs is for his damage. Specifically BURST damage. You have to heavy to refresh these debuffs every once in a while.

Once you get 2-4 debuffs, the fight is pretty straightforward.

Usually I bring MS along with apoc to get him at 4 persistent charges on the first fight. This is because instead of having to throw 2 sp1s and 2 sp2s for all his debuffs, you can get both in one sp1 and sp2 (sorry if that sounds confusing)
Most of the time, I don’t even have to get to a sp3, he finishes most fights in one sp1 and sp2
(again, apologies for the confusion, but bear with me)
Apocalypses’ sp3 makes all his debuffs (except bleed) indefinite, meaning you don’t have to refresh them all the time.

Now, here’s a PRIME reason Apoc is atleast a top 2 mutant.
He gets taller
I mean, seriously, how is that NOT one of the best mechanics in the game?

But seriously, this guy is perfect imo
He’s got an INSANE amount of utility, and his damage plus the burst damage is *chefs kiss* he’s also not a boring parry heavy sp2/sp3 champ. (Looking at you magneto and colossus) yes, I know that they’re both top champs, but it gets really boring to play them after a while. As for buff Russian doc ock, he needs high sig, and the average player isn’t just going to get those stones outta nowhere. Not saying that’s a huge thing, but its just eh. Personally I find apoc to be the most fun mutant in the game. (Along with being a top 2 mutant)

So, thoughts?
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Options
    odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,380 ★★★★★
    BuffBeast said:

Yes, you read that right. Apoc Is at least a top 2 mutant. Forget about Russian tin CAIW, the living magnet and budget doc ock who also happens to be from Russia. We’re talking about the mutant GOD. Why is he a top 2 (at least) mutant? Let’s see

Horsemen Pre-Fight
    Apocs claim to fame. You can either choose to ramp him up by taking 3 or 2 fights, or bringing in a Mr. Sinister. With this ability, you can make your top mutants even more powerful, or take not so good mutants like bishop, PL, or DPX and make them playable. They gain:
    Bleed immunity
    Like mentioned before this ability can make mutants like 10000% better than they already are. And that’s not it. With wolverine, psylocke,AA,gambit, and the storms, he gives them even MORE benefits with the horsemen ability through synergies. The most useful of those would probably be gambit, because he take ABSOLUTELY 0 damage on block with 10 kinetic charges. While we’re talking synergies, he has synergies with Kang and Cable that make them go from trash to decent and *sigh* gOd-TiEr. Cable is just phenomenal with this synergy.

Having had been the FASTEST abyss thing killer for about... a day? Can’t quite remember. Sorry. (Shulk FTW)

Back to Apocs abilities.
    Every time the opponent evades, they get 10 passive (anti evade?) charges. These CANNOT be affected by AAR. These anti evades persist for the whole quest.
    He also reduces purify ability accuracy by 100%. This is some TOP TIER utility, as it counters many annoying skill defenders.

Whether or not you spend those for charges on giving one of your mutants the horsemen ability or keeping them for apoc is up to you
    At four charges, he can stun the opponent when hitting their block with a light attack.
    Also, at 4 charges, apoc applies BOTH debuffs from his specials, but we’ll get into that later.

Immunities
    Apoc can be immune to
    Bleed
    Incinerate
    Disorient
    The only catch is, he has to suffer from said debuffs for 8 seconds. They also persist for the entire quest once developed. Now, 8 seconds isn’t too bad, but that’s definitely gonna be some health down the drain.

Debuffs and specials
    Apoc can apply Degen, Bleed, Concussion, Poison and Weakness debuffs (all non stacking)
    ( end combo with medium for degen on sp2 or poison from sp1, or end combo with light for concussion on sp2 or weakness from sp1)

Now, the reason you want these debuffs is for his damage. Specifically BURST damage. You have to heavy to refresh these debuffs every once in a while.

Usually I bring MS along with apoc to get him at 4 persistent charges on the first fight. This is because instead of having to throw 2 sp1s and 2 sp2s for all his debuffs, you can get both in one sp1 and sp2 (sorry if that sounds confusing)
    Most of the time, I don’t even have to get to a sp3, he finishes most fights in one sp1 and sp2
    Apocalypses’ sp3 makes all his debuffs (except bleed) indefinite, meaning you don’t have to refresh them all the time.

He gets taller

He’s got an INSANE amount of utility, and his damage plus the burst damage is *chefs kiss* he’s also not a boring parry heavy sp2/sp3 champ. (Looking at you magneto and colossus) yes, I know that they’re both top champs, but it gets really boring to play them after a while. As for buff Russian doc ock, he needs high sig, and the average player isn’t just going to get those stones outta nowhere. Not saying that’s a huge thing, but its just eh. Personally I find apoc to be the most fun mutant in the game. (Along with being a top 2 mutant)

So, thoughts?

Good write up bro
    The 3 things I love about him
    Is the stun through block
    70% AAR (bliss to see Juggernauts unstoppable fail)
    And revenge for ACT 5.3 now I can give everyone weakness reducing damage by 50% It just nice to have
    Not forgetting his tankiness, his Epic synergies and the horseman ability kabam did a good job with him
  • Options
    odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,380 ★★★★★
    BuffBeast said:

Horsemen Pre-Fight
    Bleed immunity

Back to Apocs abilities.

Immunities
    Apoc can be immune to
    Bleed
    Incinerate
    Disorient

Debuffs and specials

He gets taller

So, thoughts?

Wonderful write up bro
  • Options
    Faseeh said:

great write up. idk much abt mutants so cant argue

BuffBeast said:

Horsemen Pre-Fight
    Bleed immunity

Back to Apocs abilities.

Immunities
    Apoc can be immune to
    Bleed
    Incinerate
    Disorient

Debuffs and specials

He gets taller

So, thoughts?

Wonderful write up bro
    Thank you both!
  • Options

Mags and Omega are better.

I’m personally a mags is the best mutant guy, so half agree?
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    BuffBeast said:

Mags and Omega are better.

I’m personally a mags is the best mutant guy, so half agree?
    Yep I guess. Apoco is amazing
  • Options
    VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    I find OR and Magneto better without the synergies, then Professor X, then Apocalypse. As a synergy piece, Apocalypse takes the top place.
  • Options
    TrashPanda12TrashPanda12 Posts: 531 ★★★
    You can bring kang or cable to give apoc the instant ramp up too, doesn't have to be sinister. I always bring cable, who I have at r4, and my r5 apoc together. Cable gets the synergy, apoc starts with 4 charges. I think this is a better combo because you only need them two and both are great, and cable is better than sinister with the synergy
  • Options
    PastorAmericaPastorAmerica Posts: 460 ★★★
    Apoc is a really enjoyable champ to play! He makes me think about the game differently. I have to plan out the synergies, who to put in what match and when to activate a horseman. I still haven’t mastered the strategy, but playing with him has breathed new life and energy into the game for me. And that SP2 is so satisfying! I don’t know if it’s because it goes on forever but I just love watching it especially when Big Boy does the drop kick!
  • Options
    Kerneas said:

I am pleasantly surprised, you summed him up pretty well and supported your opinion with valid, not-controversial arguments (which is rare these days, partially because of KidUltraBlitz, but there are plenty who do this).

Now to the Apoc:
    I agree with you, Apoc is stupidly strong. He has above average damage even alone. He can get fights done, but he isn't top5 (dmg wise, Domino alone vs Apoc alone, Domino wins. Sorry). HOWEVER, once he gets ramped up and teamed with other mutants (not necessarily full mutant team, 1-2 other mutants suffice), his damage skyrockets up and leaves the said Domino far behind.

His utility is also unique and he is a solution for many things. I like how long his debuffs last, so it is pretty chill to refresh them. The stun into block is sick af. And his everpresent prowess makes him THE BEST counter to the new Cav EQ node (if you disagree, please tell me who is better at that node).

Hard agree. Like I said, I bring in MS for his ramp up, and another bonus is the extra damage. (Which I actually forgot about)

Apoc is a really enjoyable champ to play! He makes me think about the game differently. I have to plan out the synergies, who to put in what match and when to activate a horseman. I still haven’t mastered the strategy, but playing with him has breathed new life and energy into the game for me. And that SP2 is so satisfying! I don’t know if it’s because it goes on forever but I just love watching it especially when Big Boy does the drop kick!

Ngl I have been holding off on other rank ups just to r5 him. He’s fantastic!
  • Options
    IKONIKON Posts: 1,336 ★★★★★
    Not gonna argue with you, top end of the mutant class can be ranked however you want and you'll be reasonably correct.

The people who say there are a definite order are strange to me.
  • Options
    KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Spot on, Apocalypse is the best mutant champion in the game
  • Options
    DefenestratedDefenestrated Posts: 304 ★★★
    The top 5 mutants include OR, Mags, Colossus, Apoc, AA.

The order differs from person to person, but I would say most agree on who belongs on the top 5.
  • Options
    EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    Poco's amazing and definitely top 5 imo. But not top 2. Omega, Mags, and AA are all better.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Spot on, Apocalypse is the best mutant champion in the game

It took me a while to open my eyes to apocs greatness
  • Options
    Etjama said:

Poco's amazing and definitely top 5 imo. But not top 2. Omega, Mags, and AA are all better.

I feel like his utility will have more purpose than it already does later in the game, but here’s some things he can do.

If you bring MS Cable or Kang, (for the 4 charges) he can:
    Safely bypass mesmerize without being stunned
    He can bypass evade in general, but that’s an example of a pesky node
    Once his immunities are built up, he’s safe from the truckload of bleed nodes and champs, the occasional incinerate node or champ (would be cautious if it’s HT)
    He can counter the rising number of disorient nodes. The stun immunity is good for encroaching stun, stunning reflection, and even more annoying stun nodes.
    That’s just the immunities. And I haven’t really made a ‘proper’ example. Just off the top of my head. But, there’s definitely one champ who’s better, depending on how you look at it. Just trying to back up my point
  • Options
    doctorbdoctorb Posts: 1,728 ★★★
    Think magneto best. Easy ramp up for maximum sp damage
  • Options
    Jazzy011Jazzy011 Posts: 81
    The fact that he makes so many trash champs useful is already a huge upside that is invaluable for anyone growing their roster. And yes, he's also not bad himself. Utility and damage wise.
  • Options
    tufo24tufo24 Posts: 45
    I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Wolverine here. As a Horseman he is my go to champ against all champs that bleed. His regen and bleed got me through many of the annoying fights in this game. I am not someone who like slow and steady fights but with Wolverine, those fights keep allowing his regen to bring him to full health by the end of every fight. Barely have to use other champs except Apoc (who is great himself)
  • Options
    tufo24 said:

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Wolverine here. As a Horseman he is my go to champ against all champs that bleed. His regen and bleed got me through many of the annoying fights in this game. I am not someone who like slow and steady fights but with Wolverine, those fights keep allowing his regen to bring him to full health by the end of every fight. Barely have to use other champs except Apoc (who is great himself)

You see, I don’t really have 5* wolvie...
  • Options
    tufo24tufo24 Posts: 45
    BuffBeast said:

tufo24 said:

You see, I don’t really have 5* wolvie...
    I think you will be very happy when you do get him
  • Options
    EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    BuffBeast said:

Etjama said:

I feel like his utility will have more purpose than it already does later in the game, but here’s some things he can do.

If you bring MS Cable or Kang, (for the 4 charges) he can:
    Safely bypass mesmerize without being stunned
    He can bypass evade in general, but that’s an example of a pesky node
    Once his immunities are built up, he’s safe from the truckload of bleed nodes and champs, the occasional incinerate node or champ (would be cautious if it’s HT)
    He can counter the rising number of disorient nodes. The stun immunity is good for encroaching stun, stunning reflection, and even more annoying stun nodes.
    That’s just the immunities. And I haven’t really made a ‘proper’ example. Just off the top of my head. But, there’s definitely one champ who’s better, depending on how you look at it. Just trying to back up my point
    I know what he can do. The others can just do more.