Options

Outside the box rank ups

What are some interesting or different rank ups people have done and why? Curious to see what kind of champs people like to rank outside of the normal top few of each class

Comments

• Options
    Thanos1149Thanos1149 Posts: 1,136 ★★★
    When I just started the game I ranked up my 2!star Gamora a lot because I thought that the PI determines how good a champ is and she had a better PI rating compared to my other 2 stars lol (that shows what trash 2 stars I had back then). Soon enough I learned the game properly from YouTube.

• Options
    Zippy_halliganZippy_halligan Posts: 173
    A r3 mangog is something that just looks awesome 😍
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,782 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    @ The Guy who was forced by the forums to r5 Groot or Cyclops idk.
  • Options
    Thanos1149Thanos1149 Posts: 1,136 ★★★
    @TheManMythLegend ranked up Joe Fixit to R3 too
  • Options
    odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,385 ★★★★★
    Considering taking my Groot to rank 2 soon
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I just R4 my 4* Mr. Sinister, even though I moved past 4* long ago and he has been sitting at R3 for over two years. I just wanted to have the 6 mutant villains with good synergies - Apocalypse, Magneto, Mr. Sinister, Omega Red, Sabretooth and recently aquired Stryfe - at at least R4 for arena grinding (and maybe later content, as I don't have 5* or 6* Mr. Sinister for Apocalypse).
  • Options
    0casual00casual0 Posts: 457 ★★★
    edited July 2021
    I'm going to R4 my Dormammu while Claire, Symbiote Supreme, Dragon Man, Tigra just stay at r3 for now. I just like to use Dormammu and keep Magik at zero power bar. Probably a dumb idea tbh.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,794 ★★★★★
    I'm constantly low-key tempted to r2 my 6* Dormammu. He could be such a god-tier champion with just the smallest bit of love.
  • Options
    Have an r3 6* Yellowjacket, that, surprising to say, is still undiscovered by plenty in the community. I guess the curse of the bIg yELLoW NuMbErs is quite strong.
  • Options
    What do you like about him? I have a 6* as well, but I've never ranked him up.
  • Options
    altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,318 ★★★★
    Silver Surfer and Mojo.

Shortened buff duration with Mojo is a unique ability, and comes in really handy, especially with all the nodes/new champions that block nullify or stagger.

Surfer can armor break without needing to touch the opponent, and the phase gives a handy opening to knock down the defender when needed. Kind of a hard champion to master since there are various timers to keep track of, but he constantly surprises me.
  • Options
    Draconic_12Draconic_12 Posts: 997 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

Silver Surfer and Mojo.

Shortened buff duration with Mojo is a unique ability, and comes in really handy, especially with all the nodes/new champions that block nullify or stagger.

Surfer can armor break without needing to touch the opponent, and the phase gives a handy opening to knock down the defender when needed. Kind of a hard champion to master since there are various timers to keep track of, but he constantly surprises me.

I r5d him too and he has great immunities
  • Options
    Cranky_TrumpCranky_Trump Posts: 263
    I took Bishop to R5 before it was cool
  • Options
    Ercarret said:

What do you like about him? I have a 6* as well, but I've never ranked him up.

asking me?
  • Options
    @pseudosane Yep. I got into an argument with someone on Youtube who considered him better than Void. I had my doubts about that, but it was a weird discussion since I have very limited experience with YJ and that dude had no actual experience with Void. I didn't leave that conversation convinced he was better than Void, but I did leave somewhat curious about his abilities.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,675 ★★★★★
    Mauled said:

Massacre for fun, Mangog defence (he sucks on attack except this SoP), SG has smooth animations and deceptively high damage, Sentinel is just such an underrated champ.

Excellent !!! Especially that Mangog!

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Zippy_halliganZippy_halligan Posts: 173

Ercarret said:

@pseudosane Yep. I got into an argument with someone on Youtube who considered him better than Void. I had my doubts about that, but it was a weird discussion since I have very limited experience with YJ and that dude had no actual experience with Void. I didn't leave that conversation convinced he was better than Void, but I did leave somewhat curious about his abilities.

@Ercarret
    I wont argue he is better than void. Void is one of my favorite champs.
    But I ranked up YJ few months ago and have been preaching him every since. YJ has a huge bag of utility that makes him useful in so many scenarios.
    YJ has the third highest energy resistance in game, just below max sig guardian, and max sig mordo (when blocking)...... on base. No sig dependancy at all.
    He has incredibly high base physical resistance that gives him great block prof and general tankiness.
    He has an inbuilt heal reduction which is nice to have.
    L2 petrify which counters high healing and powergain (to a degree)
    On demand slow, albeit it is a short one.
    good heavy reach making him great for heavy intercepts.
    No need for any synergy, or sig. Great out of the box.

These make him such a good war and content option. His hits are good (not amazing, but good), and he crits fairly often, so his dps is actually very good.
    Examples ive used him on. In t2 wars.
    Havok plasma detonate tickles.
    Profx does next to nothing to him.
    EMP mod tickles.
    Aarkus coldsnap heals him.
    Doom shock heals him.
    he can take apoc anywhere (except boss), since beams do next to nothing to him.
    HT incinerates tickle.
    Ive been hit in the corner vs r3 thing on stunnng reflection and still won taking 30+ hits to the face.
    Ive taken out r3 sassy on regen mini like it is nothing,
    Soloed doom bosses with him.
    Power snack great counter with long L2 petrify.
    Decent footloose counter.
    great buffet counter.
    Great survivability in longer fights.

Ive used him a lot, and my alliance is still surprised when i use him in fights that require good specialized counters. YJ does it all.
    My YJ is only sig20. And has changed my war gameplay. Thats why, im a huge fan.

Are you trying to sell me yellowjacket? Because im feeling pretty much sold on him 😅
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Ercarret said:

@Ercarret
    I wont argue he is better than void. Void is one of my favorite champs.
    But I ranked up YJ few months ago and have been preaching him every since. YJ has a huge bag of utility that makes him useful in so many scenarios.
    YJ has the third highest energy resistance in game, just below max sig guardian, and max sig mordo (when blocking)...... on base. No sig dependancy at all.
    He has incredibly high base physical resistance that gives him great block prof and general tankiness.
    He has an inbuilt heal reduction which is nice to have.
    L2 petrify which counters high healing and powergain (to a degree)
    On demand slow, albeit it is a short one.
    good heavy reach making him great for heavy intercepts.
    No need for any synergy, or sig. Great out of the box.

These make him such a good war and content option. His hits are good (not amazing, but good), and he crits fairly often, so his dps is actually very good.
    Examples ive used him on. In t2 wars.
    Havok plasma detonate tickles.
    Profx does next to nothing to him.
    EMP mod tickles.
    Aarkus coldsnap heals him.
    Doom shock heals him.
    he can take apoc anywhere (except boss), since beams do next to nothing to him.
    HT incinerates tickle.
    Ive been hit in the corner vs r3 thing on stunnng reflection and still won taking 30+ hits to the face.
    Ive taken out r3 sassy on regen mini like it is nothing,
    Soloed doom bosses with him.
    Power snack great counter with long L2 petrify.
    Decent footloose counter.
    great buffet counter.
    Great survivability in longer fights.

Ive used him a lot, and my alliance is still surprised when i use him in fights that require good specialized counters. YJ does it all.
    My YJ is only sig20. And has changed my war gameplay. Thats why, im a huge fan.

Cool, I might have to take him through some content to see what he can do. I like quirky and overlooked champs so this whole thread is a bit of a gold mine. :)

Thanks for the write-up, @pseudosane!
  • Options
    RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Posts: 1,003 ★★★
    edited July 2021
    Mauled said:

Massacre for fun, Mangog defence (he sucks on attack except this SoP), SG has smooth animations and deceptively high damage, Sentinel is just such an underrated champ.

Masacre is actually awesome if used correctly. He was got it done in 1.1 in this months aq for me, as well as GP and BWDO.
  • Options
    RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Posts: 1,003 ★★★

Vulture
    Vulture is so much more useful than people give him credit for:
    --He's an instant Havok counter.

--The on-demand Armour Break makes him perfect for Killmonger, Emma and Mysterio.

--He tears through any match where the opponent has Power Gain Buffs, as his Sp1 and Sp2 Debuffs fill up automatically, making him one of the few Power controllers that thrives in high Power situations. He shreds Hyperion and Mordo.

-- Above also applies for Energise nodes. The more Power your opponent gains, the more Chitauri Charges you gain and the more red numbers you deal to your opponent.

-- Amazing Mister Sinister counter, as the Incinerate you apply on him will transfer back to you when he throws the Sp1, ensuring you're always topped off on Charges. Same thing with HT, just build his Smoulders up with Incinerates and let him apply the burns when you attack into him. With Synergies that can also be applied to Abom and IBom.

-- His Armour Buff is no joke, it really makes him very tanky. You can parry attacks all day with minimal health loss.

-- Miss comes in clutch when you mistime your intercepts and run into a combo. It also gives his Heavies an opening, as the Decoy is triggered when dashing into a Block, so you can immediately throw the Heavy to apply both the Armour Break and Power Drain, and the opponent can't touch you.

-- When Awakened you don't need to touch the opponent for Power, as you can just Dex and throw Specials as long as the opponent isn't Incinerate immune. It'll be a longer fight, but that's also a good option if you can't touch the opponent for some reason.
    My only issue with him is that you either choose between Power control of damage in most matchups, but it's not so bad with the Sp2-Sp1 rotation. He's not the best Champ in the Tech class, but he's definitely got a lot of uses in content.

So would Vulture be a good option for the 6.2.4 destructive feedback node? If so I'd love to know how to use him for this purpose. I have a duped 6*r1 Vulture and would love to use him to dominate 6.2.4 if possible.
  • Options
    SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★

KG: I know he's getting a buff but I did this a while ago without ever thinking he was going to. Had i posted this last month everyone would agree its outside the box.

Cap: Wanna know something about this rank up? I never once duped him till he was already at sig 200. I'll let yall do the math there.