**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Dual vs Nexus Crystal (5*)

FrydayFryday Posts: 682 ★★★
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
So after a heated 24hrs, thought we focus on something a bit lighthearted.

I was wondering if any of our fellow players are mathematician, I was just wondering which crystal would give a better percentage/chance of getting a champion you want.

Dual crystals - cut the option down to about 1/3, depending on which duel class you looking for.

Nexus crystals - give 3 options from the whole pool.

I can imagine Nexus crystals would be more special because we get to choice, but does it actually give better chance (higher percentage).

Of course this is just a fun question, because we don't get to choose, and usually just happy to have any 🤣🤣🤣.

Comments

• Options
    Many thanks, I have amended it 🤣
  • Options
    odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,379 ★★★★★
    edited September 2021
    Nexus crystals can both be a good and a bad thing
    Good news you might get a champ you have been looking for
    Bad news: you might have to pick 1 champ BTW 2-3 very good champs
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    They are roughly the same in a vacuum. Situations where they aren’t the same:

You want champs from smaller dual class pools (iirc science/mystic is smallest by a not-insignificant number)

The champs you want are clustered in a dual class crystal. (3 of the 4 I want right now are in Mutant/Skill)

You have a fair number of max sig champs. (The odds of getting who you want off a short list are pretty long in both cases. If the rest of the pulls are relatively meaningless to your roster, the nexus gives you a better chance to opt for a max sig crystal when you don’t get one of the pulls you need.)
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    I'll be working with rough numbers but any reader can alter them according to needs.

Suppose a nexus crystal has a pool of 200 champs. We want to calculate the probability of pulling any particular champ from a single nexus, which will be equal to the number of outcomes in which you pull the champ(n(E) suppose) divided by the total number of outcomes you could get from the nexus(n(S)).

Using some basic counting techniques, n(E)= 200C2 (the number of ways we can get two other champs considering the third champ to be who we want), similarly n(S)=200C3

Dividing we get the probability as 1/66, which almost exactly what you would get considering a third of the champs to be in the dual.
  • Options
    SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,167 ★★★★
    I think the answer is dual class nexus Crystal's until the wish crystals come out
  • Options
    Malreck04 said:

I'll be working with rough numbers but any reader can alter them according to needs.

Suppose a nexus crystal has a pool of 200 champs. We want to calculate the probability of pulling any particular champ from a single nexus, which will be equal to the number of outcomes in which you pull the champ(n(E) suppose) divided by the total number of outcomes you could get from the nexus(n(S)).

Using some basic counting techniques, n(E)= 200C2 (the number of ways we can get two other champs considering the third champ to be who we want), similarly n(S)=200C3

Dividing we get the probability as 1/66, which almost exactly what you would get considering a third of the champs to be in the dual.

Ok small mistake, n(E) will actually be 199C2 because the other two champs will be from the rest of the pool.

This changes the probability to 3/200, still arbitrarily close to the first result.
  • Options
    TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    SandeepS said:

I think the answer is dual class nexus Crystal's until the wish crystals come out

I don't think Wish Crystals are gonna be what people hope they are.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,760 ★★★★★
    I suspect that Nexus crystals are better if you don't care what class you get a champion in, while dual crystals are better if you're targeting those specific classes.

For example, I desperately need a good science 6* because I don't have one. For me, I'd probably prefer a Science/Mystic dual crystal rather than a nexus because the dual crystals limit the pool down to the class I'm after (plus mystics). The nexus would just give me three choices out of every possible choice in the game.

However, if all you want is a good champion regardless of class, then a nexus is a better bet because you get more options. While it opens up the pool for a lot of rubbish champions, it opens it up for a lot of A-listers as well.
  • Options
    Stebo_79Stebo_79 Posts: 636 ★★★
    Yeah that's how I see it. If you're hunting a particular champ (that's in the basic pool) then get a dual.
    If you want to increase your chances of getting someone good, then a nexus will normally do that.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It is pretty much a hypothetical question, specifically since it isn't really a choice we get to have between a dual and nexus crystal, and for someone like myself, just happy to get any of these crystals. Mainly just bit of fun discussion in the community, away from the many heated issues out there.

Really appreciate everyone involved, specially the legendary @DNA3000 (your fame precedes you by about 5 posts 😆).

I'm no mathematician, so only assume that the probability between dual and nexus crystals is roughly the same. I just randomly thought about it because seeing a lot of members taking about Nexus crystals in a special light, but I guess it is really more about the psychological concept of having choice (even if it isn't always a good selection of choice like
    @odishika123 said) and it rarity that make us more intrigued in the Nexus crystal, rather the daily available dual crystals.
  • Options
    UnitmanUnitman Posts: 241 ★★
    i didn't know so many people did crystal math
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,141 ★★★★★
    Unitman said:

A lot of mathheads around here #addiction
  • Options
    ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Unitman said:

Just like whenever you visit Starbucks there is always a customer spending 5-10 mins talking to cashier and ignore other customers queueing behind you, just to make it clear to cashier what he want:

“quad long shot grande in a venti cup half calf double cupped no sleeve salted caramel mocha latte with 2 pumps of vanilla substitute 2 pumps of white chocolate mocha for mocha and substitute 2 pumps of hazelnut for toffee nut half whole milk and half breve with no whipped cream extra hot extra foam extra caramel drizzle extra salt add a scoop of vanilla bean powder with light ice well stirred.... oh by the way, I have a free reward.”
  • Options
    Unitman said:

I mean, you would know, being unitman and all
  • Options
    CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★

I don't think Wish Crystals are gonna be what people hope they are.

So you're saying you don't think Wish Crystals are gonna be what people wish they are?

Irony Level 100.