**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Deadpool Oversaturated Solo Event Analysis

For those interested in such things, I went through the scoring data for the Deadpool Oversaturated Solo Event to see what an analysis of that data could yield. I looked at the leaderboard, plus any other anecdotal data that I could find that was consistent with verifiable data. Here's all of that data:

Most of the data is, of course, between rank 1 and 200 from the leaderboard, but I do have some data points beyond that. This is similar to how arena effort tends to do, at least it did back when we had higher density data for arena scoring. I was interested to see if there were similar "plateaus" in the data that would signify consensus estimates for what the top 1000 cutoff requirement would be, but there are not very strong signals there, implying there was no strong consensus: basically, everyone was guessing different values. There are "soft" plateaus around 2500 points, 2000 points, 1500 points, and 1200 points, but the strongest of them was, or probably would have been, at 1200 points but that's impossible to verify as it extends beyond the end of the top leaderboard data.

The actual top 1000 cutoff appears to have been around 280, and by the time you get to rank 1300 you're in the 11-20% bracket. This implies the top 10% cutoff was between rank 1000 and rank 1300, and this implies that between 10k and 13k players participated, which also means approximately that many players bought entry (it isn't exact because some people who bought entry might not have scored points, conversely my understanding is that the few players who possessed 4* Deadpool before the event gained entry without having to purchase).

To put that number into context, let's assume that MCOC has about a million players (here I'm going to use "players" and "accounts" synonymously). That's based on a number of things, including dated information we had on active accounts from the Rocket button, and estimates derived from AQ and AQ ranking data. Let's also assume MCOC has about a 3%-5% conversion rate (this is the percentage of players of a free to play game that ends up spending cash on offers). That means there are about 30k to 50k spenders in MCOC at any particular moment in time. This would imply that something between 20% and 30% of all spenders bought entry into the Deadpool event. Those numbers have large error bars, but that seems to be a reasonable percentage of players.

As it turns out, the number of players who were pushing very hard for him was somewhere around 350 or so. Below that rank the scores drop off faster. There's a second group between rank 350 and about rank 600, and then scores trail off slowly. Interestingly (at least for me) if you project the effort curve from rank 1 to rank 350, you end up with an estimated cut off score of about 700. 700 is about the cutoff I estimated if a large population of players pursued Deadpool reasonably hard. What actually happened was that the game simply "ran out" of such players, and a second group with a lower effort curve took over between rank 350 and 600, and then *they* were exhausted and a third group charted an even lower effort curve for the remaining players (at least so far as I could see).

It may seem blatantly obvious to state that how many people push for the top ranks determines what the cutoff scores will be, but there is more subtlety to it than that: The players are not a blurry group of people putting in different effort, the players are actually a number of different blurry groups of people putting in different relative effort, and how many of each group decide to compete determine the shape of the cutoff scores. In retrospect, the players predicting super-high cutoff scores were not accounting for this effect. There were a lot of players willing to put in over a thousand points of effort. But you can't extrapolate from them, because there is no large group of players willing to put in slightly less than them. Once they run out, their impact on the cutoff score actually vanishes completely: they don't matter at all. As it turned out, it was the effort that the last group of players, the ones willing to put in a few hundred points of effort but no more, that ended up dictating the cutoff score

That's always going to be the wildcard in competitions like this: how desirable are the rank rewards to different populations of players, and how many rank rewards are being given out. That's part of the fun of competitions like this: the grind is the grind, but trying to psychoanalyze the competition will always be 30% science and 70% art. Personally, when I tried to guess where the cutoff would land I came up with two different numbers: roughly 300 or roughly 700, depending on how desirable Deadpool would be. I didn't want to put up 700, so I aimed for 300 (I ended up scoring 321) and hoped for the best. This time I got lucky.

Comments

• Options
    HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    I wish my mom let me spend my money to get the offer 😂
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian

... the cut off was around 280
    I'm really kicking myself for not grinding the last day because I lost a lot of time between moving and work that I didn't bother much of a grind because I thought that I wouldn't stand a chance.

A lot of people thought they had no chance. And as I've learned from years of arena grinding, that's exactly when to take a chance. Half the time everyone thinks they have no chance because they in fact have no chance, and half the time everyone thinks they have no chance someone sneaks in because everyone decides to pass.

I think Oversaturated was a little of both. A lot of people were scared off hearing about the huge grind numbers being tossed around, but also there were a lot of people who just didn't want to throw hundreds of points into the grind without a guarantee. In fact, I suspect there were a lot of people who could have easily got him that chose to pass because they just didn't want to grind.

Events like this are curious things, because you need to be a spender to get in, but you need to be a grinder to score points. A lot of spenders don't like grinding, and in fact that's part of why they spend: to trade money for time. A 5* Deadpool was not enough to get them into the grind. And a lot of grinders grind because they don't want to spend. Spending for just a chance at a reward that was mostly a trophy might not have been appealing to them.

So that actually knocks out a lot of spenders and a lot of grinders. The target was the intersection of the two, and that intersection is a smaller group of people than either the whales or the grinders alone, and that combined with the large window of top rank prizes made it much easier to jump into the top 1000 than I think most people were predicting (although there were a couple people who shared guesses with me that were pretty close).
  • Options
    KoiBoy18KoiBoy18 Posts: 311 ★★★
    I tend to think of arena value in terms of time spent - @DNA3000 do you remember how many rounds this equated too? (assuming a fair number of 6* teams in the mix
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,281 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

For those interested in such things, I went through the scoring data for the Deadpool Oversaturated Solo Event to see what an analysis of that data could yield. I looked at the leaderboard, plus any other anecdotal data that I could find that was consistent with verifiable data. Here's all of that data:

Most of the data is, of course, between rank 1 and 200 from the leaderboard, but I do have some data points beyond that. This is similar to how arena effort tends to do, at least it did back when we had higher density data for arena scoring. I was interested to see if there were similar "plateaus" in the data that would signify consensus estimates for what the top 1000 cutoff requirement would be, but there are not very strong signals there, implying there was no strong consensus: basically, everyone was guessing different values. There are "soft" plateaus around 2500 points, 2000 points, 1500 points, and 1200 points, but the strongest of them was, or probably would have been, at 1200 points but that's impossible to verify as it extends beyond the end of the top leaderboard data.

The actual top 1000 cutoff appears to have been around 280, and by the time you get to rank 1300 you're in the 11-20% bracket. This implies the top 10% cutoff was between rank 1000 and rank 1300, and this implies that between 10k and 13k players participated, which also means approximately that many players bought entry (it isn't exact because some people who bought entry might not have scored points, conversely my understanding is that the few players who possessed 4* Deadpool before the event gained entry without having to purchase).

To put that number into context, let's assume that MCOC has about a million players (here I'm going to use "players" and "accounts" synonymously). That's based on a number of things, including dated information we had on active accounts from the Rocket button, and estimates derived from AQ and AQ ranking data. Let's also assume MCOC has about a 3%-5% conversion rate (this is the percentage of players of a free to play game that ends up spending cash on offers). That means there are about 30k to 50k spenders in MCOC at any particular moment in time. This would imply that something between 20% and 30% of all spenders bought entry into the Deadpool event. Those numbers have large error bars, but that seems to be a reasonable percentage of players.

As it turns out, the number of players who were pushing very hard for him was somewhere around 350 or so. Below that rank the scores drop off faster. There's a second group between rank 350 and about rank 600, and then scores trail off slowly. Interestingly (at least for me) if you project the effort curve from rank 1 to rank 350, you end up with an estimated cut off score of about 700. 700 is about the cutoff I estimated if a large population of players pursued Deadpool reasonably hard. What actually happened was that the game simply "ran out" of such players, and a second group with a lower effort curve took over between rank 350 and 600, and then *they* were exhausted and a third group charted an even lower effort curve for the remaining players (at least so far as I could see).

It may seem blatantly obvious to state that how many people push for the top ranks determines what the cutoff scores will be, but there is more subtlety to it than that: The players are not a blurry group of people putting in different effort, the players are actually a number of different blurry groups of people putting in different relative effort, and how many of each group decide to compete determine the shape of the cutoff scores. In retrospect, the players predicting super-high cutoff scores were not accounting for this effect. There were a lot of players willing to put in over a thousand points of effort. But you can't extrapolate from them, because there is no large group of players willing to put in slightly less than them. Once they run out, their impact on the cutoff score actually vanishes completely: they don't matter at all. As it turned out, it was the effort that the last group of players, the ones willing to put in a few hundred points of effort but no more, that ended up dictating the cutoff score

That's always going to be the wildcard in competitions like this: how desirable are the rank rewards to different populations of players, and how many rank rewards are being given out. That's part of the fun of competitions like this: the grind is the grind, but trying to psychoanalyze the competition will always be 30% science and 70% art. Personally, when I tried to guess where the cutoff would land I came up with two different numbers: roughly 300 or roughly 700, depending on how desirable Deadpool would be. I didn't want to put up 700, so I aimed for 300 (I ended up scoring 321) and hoped for the best. This time I got lucky.

I think once people started talking more about the scores being crazy high in the last day, it created a sad little self-fulfilling prophecy. The people talking about the cutoff being in the 1000s were insane given all the forces driving the scores downward compared to featured arena scores for desirable champs. Hopefully people submit enough scores to ArenaResultsKnight so we can see the patterns across the wider range.
  • Options
    WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Posts: 1,324 ★★★★
    Many people chose to pass because 1-10% Rewards were way cooler/more useful than a simple Trophy Champ already outdated.

I believe a 6* Deadpool would have caught a lot more players.
  • Options
    kenadroidkenadroid Posts: 428 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

You are a legend my man
  • Options
    Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★
    The most annoying thing for me about this event was that some people were joining it specifically for the other rewards. You couldn't recieve the 5M gold AND the 5-star red deadpool.

If that HAD been possible, I definitely would have grinded more points for him.

Why did this event give me flashbacks to the REALLY OLD arena system?
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I did 176 points and ended up in the 11-20% bracket. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    ChikelChikel Posts: 2,058 ★★★★
    kenadroid said:

DNA3000 said:

You are a legend my man
    Bruh, did you really have to quote the entire post just for that one sentence?
  • Options
    BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,547 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

First of all, thank you for putting in the work for this post. Nice one!

FYI

I scored 291 pts in the event
    I came in at rank 974

I scored I 5* Deadpool so I was happy…
  • Options
    PanbohPanboh Posts: 72
    Well it was half over when I realised I can use other "pool" champs. I'm always among top 400 featured grinders and was sure that 300+ will be enough for top 1000. (Did 304 and got him) You don't really have that much people willing to spend an odin for a 5*. That being said, Id like to point out another thing: there was no bots in this arena, that made a huge difference in the cutoff score.
  • Options
    KingInBlackKingInBlack Posts: 312 ★★★
    I took a pass because a $30 entry fee is too much expecting the scores to be higher than you're going to reach. I would've done it had I known I would've got the 5* but at this point a 5* is just for fun anyway so no big loss. They should've just set a milestone (say 400 points or so) to get him and they would've made a lot more sales.
  • Options
    KoiBoy18 said:

I tend to think of arena value in terms of time spent - @DNA3000 do you remember how many rounds this equated too? (assuming a fair number of 6* teams in the mix

In the arena I was scoring 20 points per cycle. I did one fight with 1* Deadpool and then quick-quit the other two. Then I did one round with 2* Deadpool, 2* Deadpool X, and 2* Venompool, one round with 3* DP, DPX, VP, one round with 3* Masacre, Gwenpool, and filler, and finally two 4* rounds with identical configurations. That's 2 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 20. I also did five duels with Deadpool per day. I think I did that four times for 40 points total. So 321 would have taken about 14 arena cycles in three days. The reason why I ended up at 321 is that initially I was dumb and did not quit out of those 1* fights without Deadpool, because as an arena grinder I instinctively protect my streak. But that meant the difficulty kept getting higher and higher, and eventually I would lose a fight. Then I realized it would go way faster if I quit the non-scoring fights and also reset my streak to easy mode, so duh I started doing that. So I probably did maybe 16 or 17 arena cycles over those three days, which isn't a lot really.

Of course, it helps to have all those scoring champs. If you didn't have them all, things would have gone slower and taken more rounds, but even someone that was missing a few could still get to the cutoff without spending units on duel refreshes.
  • Options

I took a pass because a $30 entry fee is too much expecting the scores to be higher than you're going to reach. I would've done it had I known I would've got the 5* but at this point a 5* is just for fun anyway so no big loss. They should've just set a milestone (say 400 points or so) to get him and they would've made a lot more sales.

People keep saying things like this, but this isn't true. Or rather, it might have been true this one time, but if you do this all the time eventually you will have no sales. The reason why people chase things in this game, or any game like it, is not because they are kewl, it is because they are scarce. The rarer things are, the more sought after they are. Things that are common are not valued as much, and the game uses scarcity and competition to give players something to spend time and resources to chase.

The goal is never to sell as much stuff as possible today. The goal is to preserve the value of the things in the game for tomorrow, while selling *enough* to keep the game going. Players collectively spend about $400 million USD on the game every year. I think they don't need help figuring out how to make money over the long haul.

Who's going to spend money on 6* Deadpool if they know that six months later, or a year later, everyone will be able to get him in an event where you just have to hit a reasonable milestone in an easy grind? A lot fewer probably. And that's what you do when you make it easy to get 5* Deadpool. You make 6* Deadpool worthless as a pursuit goal.
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,281 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

KoiBoy18 said:

In the arena I was scoring 20 points per cycle. I did one fight with 1* Deadpool and then quick-quit the other two. Then I did one round with 2* Deadpool, 2* Deadpool X, and 2* Venompool, one round with 3* DP, DPX, VP, one round with 3* Masacre, Gwenpool, and filler, and finally two 4* rounds with identical configurations. That's 2 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 20. I also did five duels with Deadpool per day. I think I did that four times for 40 points total. So 321 would have taken about 14 arena cycles in three days. The reason why I ended up at 321 is that initially I was dumb and did not quit out of those 1* fights without Deadpool, because as an arena grinder I instinctively protect my streak. But that meant the difficulty kept getting higher and higher, and eventually I would lose a fight. Then I realized it would go way faster if I quit the non-scoring fights and also reset my streak to easy mode, so duh I started doing that. So I probably did maybe 16 or 17 arena cycles over those three days, which isn't a lot really.

Of course, it helps to have all those scoring champs. If you didn't have them all, things would have gone slower and taken more rounds, but even someone that was missing a few could still get to the cutoff without spending units on duel refreshes.
    I'm surprised you didn't do Quickmatch. It counts as arena and is significantly faster.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

KoiBoy18 said:

I'm surprised you didn't do Quickmatch. It counts as arena and is significantly faster.
    I thought about it, but the arena grinder in me didn't want to pass up the points, however small.