**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Variant 3-4 generic rank up gems

UltragamerUltragamer Posts: 393 ★★★
Why do variant rank up gems have restrictions on them I got one for knull but wasn’t able to use it.

Comments

• winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,736 ★★★★★
    Do you mean
    1/ you did not know about it prior or
    2/ you know but wondering why designed that way?
  • UltragamerUltragamer Posts: 393 ★★★
    I didn’t know and wondering y it was designed like that
  • I didn’t know and wondering y it was designed like that

The Variant maps are revamped versions of older content that was originally released years ago. There's a slightly updated version that exists at a "classic" difficulty and the "variant" version that is updated to have much higher tier difficulty. The rank up resources in them were originally designed to reflect that: they are content from the past that reward players with rewards that are targeted at the champions that existed at the time. It is probably the case that at least originally, the reason *why* Variants had such high rewards in the first place was because of this targeted limitation: the rewards in Variant content is otherwise disproportionately higher than you would normally expect if you looked at only the non-Variant content within the game.

In other words, the rewards have the restrictions they do because originally it was a way to hand players much higher rewards than would ordinarily be considered balanced for that content. That concept has been preserved as the Variants have progressed.
  • LpooLpoo Posts: 2,215 ★★★★★
    If there were more opportunities for normal rank up gems, I’d be fine with the older rank up gems. The only thing is that these are some of the only gems available in the game, so it feels like a lot down
  • mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 995 ★★★★
    I was disappointed to find I couldn't use the 2017 3>4 on Thanos.

Was toying with the idea of taking him to r5 just for fun, but having to burn t2a to get him to r4 also is a tough pill to swallow.

Really don't understand why Kabam restricts that. The state of the game right now, no one is using Thanos for anything besides fun, or a war diversity placement that almost certainly isn't getting any kills.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    edited February 2022
    7714dtl said:

This biggest problem with the year restricted gems is that for a lot of people, if they wanted to rank up any champs worth a damn from way back then they have already ranked them up. I waste these things on garbage champs as fodder for level up event.

The buff program put a substantial amount of value back into these gems. If you can’t find a use for a generic, you’ve progressed past the point of being the targeted player for the content. I’ve 100%ed variants 3-7 on my second account and used my last gem today on Cable. On my main, I still don’t have him as a 5 or 6, but if I miss the 6 in this feature and pull a 5, I’ll use one so I can run him alongside apocalypse.

Also, depending on your access to gems and your roster, the ability/inability to use a gem on a champ is a pretty good tiebreaker.