Masteries as a free to play player.

VaydesVaydes Member Posts: 11
Hello fellow summoners!
I have a quick question, so I'm a free to play player and as such I've been wondering should I be keeping my units in order to unlock some of the more expensive masteries (deep wounds, liquid courage, willpower etc) or should I focus on a more budget approach to the masteries? (Currently at act 5, Summoner Level is 32)

Comments

• VaydesVaydes Member Posts: 11
    Doosra said:

First increase your level before thinking about masteries

Alright, thanks.
  • Adi_tyaAdi_tya Member Posts: 94
    Vaydes said:

Hello fellow summoners!
    I have a quick question, so I'm a free to play player and as such I've been wondering should I be keeping my units in order to unlock some of the more expensive masteries (deep wounds, liquid courage, willpower etc) or should I focus on a more budget approach to the masteries? (Currently at act 5, Summoner Level is 32)

It'd help to know what masteries you have already unlocked.
    Providing images would be helpful.
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,896 ★★★★★
    It's worth noting that you have to have X amounts in the various trees in order to unlock certain masteries at all, which is why it's a good idea to simply level up first. Otherwise you won't have the points necessary to even reach those masteries, regardless of whether or not you have the units to unlock them.

That said, setting your sights on Precision, Cruelty and Recovery gives you a good path forward. They also cost a fair amount to unlock as well, which will keep your units busy.

Parry and Dexterity are two essential masteries that don't require you to go down any lengthy paths to get to. It's kind of weird that they are in the mastery system (and therefore can be forgotten/overlooked by new players) instead of just an automatic part of the game, but it is what it is.
  • dot_dittodot_ditto Member Posts: 1,442 ★★★★
    Vaydes said:

Hello fellow summoners!

As a fellow free to play, I've experimented with various settings .. including suicides.

I've settled on a nice, conservative, well rounded mastery set.

Probably will annoy some players ;) heh, but I've been comfortable with these settings for at least 2 years now .. haven't had any need to touch them.

Note that the 4 pts in mystic dispersion is the most expensive option there .. and it comes in handy for the likes of Doom, Claire, Longshot, etc.
    Don't worry too much about it .. unless you're using some big mystics frequently .. then try to save for it .. after you have all the others.
    ie the class specific masteries should be the last thing you look at ;)
    The other stuff is more important.

In my honest opinion .. I'd consider this priority in the masteries .. onces marked with "**" are what I consider critically important and hence should rush them if you can.
    Rest are either to get to the important ones, or just personal preference ;)

**Parry (Pro) +1
    Limber (Pro) +1
    **Dexterity (Pro) +1
    Vitality (Def) +1
    Gtr. Vitality (Def) +1
    **Block Prof (Def) +1
    **Perfect Block (Def) +2
    **Block Prof (Def) +3
    **Perfect Block (Def) +2
    Salve (Def) +1
    Recovery (Def) +3
    Energy Resist (Def) +1
    **Willpower (Def) +1
    Strength (Off) +1
    Gtr Str (Off) +1
    Pierce (Off) +1
    L.Precision (Off) +1
    L. Cruelty (Off) +1
    **Precision (Off) +2
    **Cruelty (Off) +3
    **Precision (Off) +2
    **Cruelty (Off) +2
    Ext. Fury (Off) +1
    Despair (Off) +1
    Deep Wounds (Off) +1
    **Assassin (Off) +1
    Parry (Pro) +2
    Stupefy (Pro) +3
    Coagulate (Def) +1
    Enh. Fury (Off) +2
    Glass Cannon (Off) +2
    Petrify (Pro) +1
    Pacify (Pro) +1
    Limber (Pro) +4
    Inequity (Def) +1
    Mystic Dis (Pro) +4

• GiuliameijGiuliameij Member Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    I agree with @dot_ditto. Some masteries seem essential. Anything beyond that base is down to your playstyle and preference. His masteries are not IDEAL, but they cover the basics and thun he can do all content without the feeling of being limited by his masteries.
    I would personally go with suicide masteries. Because they save a lot of time. And for me personally, they save me between 30 en 45 minutes a day because I am a decently heavy arena grinder. (150-180 rounds per 3 day cycle)
    But if you hardly do arena they become less important, but still make the game faster.
    If you want more freedom you can also just skip them. Plenty of endgame players do not have them. And can complete any content released to date. Just slower.
  • VaydesVaydes Member Posts: 11
    Amazing! Thank you everyone!
    If anyone is wondering my current mastery setup is:

Offense:
    Strength 1
    Greater Strength 1
    Courage 3
    Pierce 1
    Lesser Precision 1
    Lesser Cruelty 1
    Precision 1
    Cruelty 2

Defense:
    Vitality 1
    Greater Vitality 1
    Block Proficiency 4
    Energy Resistance 2

Proficiency:
    Parry 3
    Limber 1
    Stupefy 3
    Dexterity 1

Long story short I have 6 stony mastery cores, I was thinking of unlocking recovery but a friend told me it's not worth upgrading unless I have a champion that can regen (currently I don't).
  • Artoria77Artoria77 Member Posts: 2,550 ★★★★★
    Doosra said:

First increase your level before thinking about masteries

Don't listen to this guy.
  • SearmenisSearmenis Member Posts: 1,593 ★★★★★
    Masteries are top priority, especially since you re past act 4. Keep your units to unlock the right side of your trees. From the ones you have placed at the moment, loose the Energy resistance and go for one in Salve to unlock Recovery, and after that try to max precision and cruelty first. Petrify could also help you, at least one point there.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,400 Guardian
    Unlocking masteries sucks, I spent about a year saving my units to unlock the masteries, but the game is so much nicer with the masteries. Save all your units now because it takes awhile to get all the units you need.