**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Cavalier pool tier crystal

Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
The cavalier nexus pool tier crystal seems to have 48 champs with about half being good and the other half undesirable. The drop rates are that of a regular cavalier nexus crystal. Why then does it have an escalating cost? What am I really missing? If anyone purchases 50 of those, they are basically having to spend 45125 units. Regular featured cavalier costs 15k units for 50 of the crystals. This doesn’t make sense.

Comments

• Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

I bit at a pair of them. The only escalating thing I can see is the cost. How is this worthwhile?

Dr. Zola

When I read the in game message, I was wondering if the champ pool gets narrow as you start pulling champs so essentially you can guarantee the champ that you want in 50 crystals. But that’s not the case.
  • RicoShayRicoShay Posts: 222 ★★
    If the price increases then so should the drop rates. You can buy a much higher volume of basic cavs and likely get some solid pulls or better yet save the units for future deals/act 7 offer if you missed it
  • NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,904 ★★★★★
    I don’t see the crystal
  • RakeYoungRakeYoung Posts: 472 ★★★
    i was hoping for some kind of pity thing that made it worth buying more and more crystals, got to 8 crystals and all i got was a load of regret, along with some 3 and 4 stars....
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,279 ★★★★★
    Rillian said:

I liked this list:

I don’t like this list:

I’m assuming I didn’t read the email closely enough.

Maybe they screwed it up. Who would have signed off on it like this?

Maybe...

*SHNORF* Checkthisout, checkthisout. So, they're the regular rates, the pool is trash, and they keep getting more expensive! *SHNORF* We'll make a fortune!"
    "Wait, what? Why would you buy more than one?"
    "I don't know!! *SHNORF* But someone will cuz 'Nexus' and that'll keep the lights on!"
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    Graves_3 said:

DrZola said:

I bit at a pair of them. The only escalating thing I can see is the cost. How is this worthwhile?

Dr. Zola

When I read the in game message, I was wondering if the champ pool gets narrow as you start pulling champs so essentially you can guarantee the champ that you want in 50 crystals. But that’s not the case.
    No, it isn’t. You get a shot at 24 fairly good to great champs, with another 24 also-ran to terrible champs. Each time, the costs increase while the odds remain the same (3%, a basic Cav crystal odds, not what one would expect from a “featured” Cav crystal).

This should be embarrassing.

Dr. Zola
  • RyanGolfRyanGolf Posts: 60
    Shouldn't an escalating cost mean an escalating chance of a better reward? why should anyone buy these vs the regular crystals? Am I missing something?
  • ccrider474ccrider474 Posts: 650 ★★★

I don’t see the crystal

This right here. Doesn't exist in my game. Are they rotated during the day and I missed it?
  • SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,158 ★★★★
    It's in the store not in the crystal tab. Its 3% drop rate on the 6 star. What I dont get is the escalating cost, if first is 300, second 325 and 25 extra for each subsequent crystal... why get them? Regular featured cavs are fixed 300 units with better rates.
  • SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,158 ★★★★

Wait! Where do I find this crystal?

It's where you find the loyalty store and glory store, that section
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    Graves_3 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

This would have been a great idea actually. Whatever you get in the nexus, not being available anymore for the next ones!
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    yeah not a very worthwhile deal ... i mean the escalating cost is ridiculous compared to the drop rate and pool .. i did bite bullet to buy one and immediately regretted it. no way i'll be buying a second.
  • TheCaptain412TheCaptain412 Posts: 337 ★★★
    edited April 2022
    Because people like to gamble and a bunch of folks just bought a bunch of units over the weekend and Kabam is banking of them being willing to waste them.

• AC20AC20 Posts: 5
    625 units for the choice of six three stars and a extra 24 unknown champs in my crystal @Kabam Miike what the hell???
  • Maltyo9Maltyo9 Posts: 270 ★★★
    Wait, I figured it out...they released that list of the first 24 champs to get us excited, but then threw in the other 24 for the other crystals...

Buffs for "The Other 24" confirmed...
  • KILLMФИGЕЯKILLMФИGЕЯ Posts: 122 ★★
    This crystal HAS to be a mistake?! I figured as the cost increases, so does the drop rates…..nope
    The only thing escalating about this crystal is the hate kabam is gonna get from anyone who purchased the first crystal only to see the drop rates DONT get better smh please do better kabam
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    RyanGolf said:

Shouldn't an escalating cost mean an escalating chance of a better reward? why should anyone buy these vs the regular crystals? Am I missing something?

No. Because. Yes.

No, escalating costs do not necessarily mean better rewards. That would only be true if the game wanted to reward you for spending more units, which it doesn't. In fact in general, the game doesn't reward people who spend more. Spending more does tend to get you more, but that rarely escalates. There are more diminishing returns pressures on spending than escalating discounts. And that's by design.

People will tell you that basic economics says Kabam should try to price things to sell as much of them as possible to maximize profit. These people probably failed economics. That's only true when the only consideration is incremental sales costs. It isn't true in other situations, for example situations where inventory has inelastic limits. For example, try to buy a lot of grain, or oil, or copper, or any other world wide commodity, and the more you buy the more expensive it gets. There's only so much to go around on any given day. Spread those purchases out and the costs tend to remain fixed. Try to buy a lot all at once, and you pay more. No one gives you a volume discount. That only happens when the seller is huge, the buyer is tiny, and the amounts the buyer buys is insignificant compared to the seller's inventory.

Free to play games do not have unlimited inventory. Sure, they can make as many crystals as they want, but if they make an unlimited amount of anything they will destroy their game. There isn't a hard limit on what they sell, but there's a soft limit. Each thing they still dilutes and devalues the rewards in the game. And everything they sell for cash (or to a lesser degree intermediate currency) dilutes the value of gameplay. If Kabam sold Cav crystals for a nickel, all spenders (even tiny ones) would gain a ton, but all the free to play players would be left in the dust. It would be completely pointless for them to play at all.

Instead of trying to sell as much stuff as possible for as much money as possible, free to play games tend to try to sell as little as possible for as much money as possible, maximizing revenue while keeping the influx of stuff purchased in the game to as low an amount as possible, so that the difference between spenders and free to play players is as narrow as possible. Of course, whales will still get massive advantages, but for *most* players the difference that spending has tends to be moderate.

So why would anyone buy these things? Because. People spend for different reasons, and the value of money is different for different people. For some people an Odin is an immense expense, for other people it is a trivial expense. For some people, time is far more valuable. People spend to complete content, they spend to buy rank up materials, and people spend just to see crystals twirl. Everyone is different, and what they choose to spend money or units on is different. Of course, I doubt anyone is going to go all the way to fifty with that offer, but I also wouldn't bet on what the highest anyone will go will be. Ten? Twenty? I honestly don't know. And neither does Kabam. Or at least, they don't know yet.

And that's what you're missing. No one really knows how much people will pay for a crystal like this. Not you, not I, not Kabam. Except, in a few days they will. They won't just know how much people will pay maximum, they will have a nice distribution curve of buyers. They'll know what percentage of players will only buy one and stop. They know what percentage will keep going until the costs hit 600 a crystal. They'll know if there are crazy people who will go up to 1000 units per crystal. And that is extremely valuable information if you're running a free to play microtransaction supported game.
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,147 ★★★
    I decided to get four of them after watching Prof. Hoff video.

• psp742psp742 Posts: 2,300 ★★★★
    He didn't recommend them.. he stated by economy it is cheaper if you spend $4.99 for two cav nexus on Kabam Wed offer.. but if you grind arena for units.. one or two is ok.. since price goes up by each time you purchase cav pool crystal
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,147 ★★★
    psp742 said:

He didn't recommend them.. he stated by economy it is cheaper if you spend $4.99 for two cav nexus on Kabam Wed offer.. but if you grind arena for units.. one or two is ok.. since price goes up by each time you purchase cav pool crystal

The thing with that is those Nexus on Wednesday's usually suck atleast for me..