Options

Why does Wiccan apply Incinerates to Red Guardin and Spidey 99 when they dex?

Comments

• Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    DenRod said:

@Kabam Zibiit can you explain what’s happening here then?

Apparently AAR immunity does not cover specific reductions of immunity. Like EOP crossbones couldn't shrug apocs debuffs, slow works on Force of Will and so on
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    DenRod said:

DenRod said:

Apparently AAR immunity does not cover specific reductions of immunity. Like EOP crossbones couldn't shrug apocs debuffs, slow works on Force of Will and so on
    The wording in Mysterio’s ability is not immunity to AAR, it’s ‘Mysterio’s ability accuracy cannot be reduced’
    It is in effect that. An immunity to concussion effects
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,331 ★★★★★

DenRod said:

DenRod said:

The wording in Mysterio’s ability is not immunity to AAR, it’s ‘Mysterio’s ability accuracy cannot be reduced’
    It is in effect that. An immunity to concussion effects
    Does that mean that quake doesn’t evade while trying to heavy mysterio?
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,799 Guardian
    edited July 2022

Players: Hey this new opponent punishes you for trying to a buff... I know, I'll use a champion who doesn't gain any...

Kabam Devs: (Twirls moustache) Mwah hah hah hah hah! Did you believe the champion description, without reading the source code? You Fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!...

Seriously: could the team please talk this through some time, and consider if Neutralise is worth changing?

This is a severe mischaracterization. It even borderline contradicts the in-game text.

Wiccan does not punish you for "trying" to get a buff. Wiccan punishes your attacker if any ability attempts and fails to do something. That's what "when an opponent's ability fails due to reduced ability accuracy" means.

SM2099 is immune to buffs. Does that mean he has no abilities that attempt to place buffs on him? That's not the same thing. If the player has Dexterity, then SM2099 does have an ability that attempts to place buffs on him. Those buffs just fail.

"Did you believe the champion description, without reading the source code?" There is no need to understand the technical implementation. Knowing it only makes it easier to explain. But the plain text of the descriptions, absent any other knowledge, is enough to resolve this issue. Wiccan punishes attempts by abilities to produce buffs if they fail. If the player has Dexterity and is using SM2099, dioes SM2099 have an ability that attempts to place buffs on him? Yes. Can that ability fail because of reduced ability accuracy? Yes. That's it.

You need know nothing else. Everything else appears to be what people want to happen, based on what they think the purpose of things are. But that's completely invented and not actually stated or implied anywhere in the game. People think SM2099's buff immunity is "supposed" to make him basically impervious to all attempts to manipulate buffs in any way. But that's not what immunity does.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,331 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Players: Hey this new opponent punishes you for trying to a buff... I know, I'll use a champion who doesn't gain any...

Kabam Devs: (Twirls moustache) Mwah hah hah hah hah! Did you believe the champion description, without reading the source code? You Fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!...

Seriously: could the team please talk this through some time, and consider if Neutralise is worth changing?

This is a severe mischaracterization. It even borderline contradicts the in-game text.

Wiccan does not punish you for "trying" to get a buff. Wiccan punishes your attacker if any ability attempts and fails to do something. That's what "when an opponent's ability fails due to reduced ability accuracy" means.

SM2099 is immune to buffs. Does that mean he has no abilities that attempt to place buffs on him? That's not the same thing. If the player has Dexterity, then SM2099 does have an ability that attempts to place buffs on him. Those buffs just fail.

"Did you believe the champion description, without reading the source code?" There is no need to understand the technical implementation. Knowing it only makes it easier to explain. But the plain text of the descriptions, absent any other knowledge, is enough to resolve this issue. Wiccan punishes attempts by abilities to produce buffs if they fail. If the player has Dexterity and is using SM2099, dioes SM2099 have an ability that attempts to place buffs on him? Yes. Can that ability fail because of reduced ability accuracy? Yes. That's it.

You need know nothing else. Everything else appears to be what people want to happen, based on what they think the purpose of things are. But that's completely invented and not actually stated or implied anywhere in the game. People think SM2099's buff immunity is "supposed" to make him basically impervious to all attempts to manipulate buffs in any way. But that's not what immunity does.
    Why are those champs whose ability accuracy cannot be reduced taking incinerate damage?
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Also, whilst we're discussing Neutralise:
    it's always described as acting by reducing Ability Accuracy:

Well, several champions are meant to be immune to Ability Accuracy modification. Their abilities state that their Ability Accuracy can't be reduced:
    Mysterio
    Archangel
    Old Man Logan

And, predictably, whilst a player might have thought Wiccan's Neutralise would be a harmless source of Willpower for them, it seems to work on them normally. Is it supposed to?

Again, a casual player might well try to bypass Wiccan using one of the above champions; meeting the same results as trying to use Red Guardian or Spidey 2099, above.

By way of contrast, another Mystic ability, Soul Imprisonment also works by reducing Buff Ability Accuracy. As you can see, OML's Immunity to AAR works just fine against Mephisto's Soul Imprisonment:

So... Is it worth taking a look at Neutralise? And making a few pro-player adjustments to how it works? Or working on the description, at the very least.?

Ok this is what I don’t get, why does pro player only ever mean “what is pro player right now in this one situation”

If you changed neutralise to not work against immunity to AAR, you’re making Tigra, Rintrah and Wiccan not work against mysterio, old man Logan, archangel, force of will etc. How is that pro player? At the moment, neutralise works against force of will. Your pro player move would change that.

You’d also have to change Apoc’s reduction in tenacity, which is a reduction to shrug off ability accuracy. Do you think it’s a pro player move to make immune to AAR champs no longer be countered by Apoc? No more masochism counter against any champ immune to AAR. Can’t think of many pro player situations Apoc no longer working there would create.

You’ll get a lot of players thinking that’s a pretty anti-player move right there. Just so you don’t have 2 champions that it doesn’t work in favour of?

For what it’s worth, my interpretation of this has always been that you have to imagine that Ability Accuracy is a separate thing to buff ability accuracy, and instead it’s something called Base Ability Accuracy (I made up that name)

Imagine stat 1 and stat 2 respectively for base ability accuracy and buff ability accuracy .

Neutralise reduces stat 2 but not stat 1. So when neutralise is active, stat 2 decreases and they don’t get buffs anymore. When a champion is on force of will node or immune to AAR they are immune to alterations in stat 1. But neutralise only affects stat 2.

It’s the same for Apoc with his reduction in shrug off. That’s a separate stat too, stat 3. So when he faced a champ with immunity to AAR, he reduces stat 3 so they can’t shrug. But that champ is only immune to stat 1 reductions, which is normal base ability accuracy.

The only slight problem with this theory is increases to Ability accuracy nodes or champions. When you try to use Apoc or neutralise against a champion with increased Abiltiy accuracy they don’t work. Buffs can get through, debuffs can be shrugged off.

That’s why that annoying agent venom boss a few months ago could shrug off Apoc. His ability accuracy was increased

However, my theory is that in this case, increased ability accuracy affects all 3 stats. It increases chance to proc buffs, it increases chance to shrug off and it increases base ability accuracy too.

So that’s why “increase to ability accuracy” nodes should stay the same, ability accuracy as a concept should actually be called base ability accuracy. And that explains why neutralise/ Apoc works against immune to AAR, but not against increased ability accuracy.
  • Options

For what it’s worth, my interpretation of this has always been that you have to imagine that Ability Accuracy is a separate thing to buff ability accuracy, and instead it’s something called Base Ability Accuracy (I made up that name)

It most definitely is. What we normally refer to as just "ability accuracy" is actually a champion stat. We just don't usually see it, and it is usually 100%. If you have an ability that has a 10% ability accuracy to trigger something, the true chance for that thing to trigger is the ability's ability accuracy multiplied by the champion's ability accuracy. So usually that's just 100% x whatever, and you get whatever. But when you lower a champion's ability accuracy, it is this champion stat that is being lowered. When you reduce it by 20% and it becomes 80%, you then have 80% x whatever. If the ability itself had 10% ability accuracy, the true chance is 80% x 10% = 8%.

Buff ability accuracy is a modifier specific to buffs. But the presumption has generally been that immune to ability accuracy reduction means immunity to all ability accuracy reductions. However, it if only means immunity to champion ability accuracy reduction and not immunity to all ability accuracy reductions, then that should be explicitly stated.

Ability accuracy has always been a little sketchy. Ironically, this particular situation under discussion is one of the few cases where an unusual circumstance is actually working as you would expect it to work given the mechanical descriptions. There are a lot of weird corner cases where things don't work as described, for (currently) unknown reasons. For example, Falcon can suppress Mordo's astral evade. On paper, that should not work, but we all know it does.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

It most definitely is. What we normally refer to as just "ability accuracy" is actually a champion stat. We just don't usually see it, and it is usually 100%. If you have an ability that has a 10% ability accuracy to trigger something, the true chance for that thing to trigger is the ability's ability accuracy multiplied by the champion's ability accuracy. So usually that's just 100% x whatever, and you get whatever. But when you lower a champion's ability accuracy, it is this champion stat that is being lowered. When you reduce it by 20% and it becomes 80%, you then have 80% x whatever. If the ability itself had 10% ability accuracy, the true chance is 80% x 10% = 8%.

Buff ability accuracy is a modifier specific to buffs. But the presumption has generally been that immune to ability accuracy reduction means immunity to all ability accuracy reductions. However, it if only means immunity to champion ability accuracy reduction and not immunity to all ability accuracy reductions, then that should be explicitly stated.

Ability accuracy has always been a little sketchy. Ironically, this particular situation under discussion is one of the few cases where an unusual circumstance is actually working as you would expect it to work given the mechanical descriptions. There are a lot of weird corner cases where things don't work as described, for (currently) unknown reasons. For example, Falcon can suppress Mordo's astral evade. On paper, that should not work, but we all know it does.
    Exactly my interpretation.

The easiest solution here where you assume all interactions are working as intended, is to rename ability accuracy so that it’s ‘Base Ability Accuracy’, immunity to AAR should be renamed ‘Immunity to Base Ability Accuracy Reduction’ otherwise we’re gonna see Tigra, Rintrah, Apoc and Wiccan get a rather large hit to their uses. Or, their pro player uses.
  • Options
    sheryfsheryf Posts: 25

So the interaction between Wiccan and these champs is working correctly. Some folks in here were correct in their explanations, but I just wanted to clarify things. Red Guardian and Spidey 2099's Buff immunity only comes into play when an attempt to apply a Buff would otherwise succeed, at which point the immunity prevents the Buff. But Neutralize prevents the attempt from working in the first place, so there's nothing for the Buff immunity to prevent by the time it could trigger.

Wiccan applies an Incinerate when an "opponent's ability fails due to reduced Ability Accuracy". Since Neutralize reduces ability accuracy and causes the ability (Dex) to fail before the immunity can trigger, the Incinerate is applied. Hope that helps to clarify this interaction a bit.

There is nothing to clarify, reg guardian and spidey 2099 are made to deal with annoying mystics. Just change order of events, immunity should prevent buff very first. Every immunity should work like that.
  • Options
    @Magrailothos i will absolutely agree with you that it would be worth clearing up this misconception in the descriptions.

I’m not sure exactly what should be changed, whether that’s Spidey’s buff immunity description, or neutralise description, but anything that makes complicated interactions clearer and less likely to crop up on the forum with someone complaining why their Falcon didn’t work on enhanced ability accuracy nodes, or why Wiccan stopped them pausing debuffs is a win in my book.

Initially, it does not seem logical that this is the case and I understand why people are confused (you can see my version of being confused about this at the start of the thread). But when you realise the workings behind it it starts to make sense. However, it should be clear on the surface reading, so I think a change of description should help.
  • Options
    DenRodDenRod Posts: 43

DNA3000 said:

The easiest solution here where you assume all interactions are working as intended, is to rename ability accuracy so that it’s ‘Base Ability Accuracy’, immunity to AAR should be renamed ‘Immunity to Base Ability Accuracy Reduction’ otherwise we’re gonna see Tigra, Rintrah, Apoc and Wiccan get a rather large hit to their uses. Or, their pro player uses.

Again, the wording in Mysterio’s abilities is not immunity to AAR, it’s “Mysterio’s ability accuracy can’t be decreased”. No mention whatsoever about immunity. So, is Mysterio’s ability accuracy being decreased by the neutralize debuff?
  • Options
    DenRod said:

DNA3000 said:

Again, the wording in Mysterio’s abilities is not immunity to AAR, it’s “Mysterio’s ability accuracy can’t be decreased”. No mention whatsoever about immunity. So, is Mysterio’s ability accuracy being decreased by the neutralize debuff?
    I mean, when you try and reduce mysterio’s with a concussion ability accuracy it says immune. I think it’s just a case of the descriptions not being clear and in reality he is actually just immune to AAR.

The way that fits into my theory is that “ability accuracy cannot be decreased” is referring to what I think is stat 1, or base ability accuracy. So that aspect cannot be decreased, but his buff ability accuracy can be decreased. Because ability accuracy is not the same as buff ability accuracy.

• Options

Having multiple stats or stat names without any sort of clarification whatsoever makes us Yolo and learn on the fly.

Why does tigra work on force of will or against AA immune champs? Why does apoc bypass aa immune tenacity? Why is neutralize working on AA immune nodes?
    I know @BitterSteel theorized but unless a Kabam employee/mod confirms it, it is what it is, a thoery. We need clarification on this sort of stuff, there are so many weird interactions that make no sense in this regard. Everytime a new interaction pops up and we are left scratching our heads as to how it would work with a plethora of other interactions already in game.

Yeah I agree, Kabam really need to work on their communication on this. @Kabam Zibiit kindly clarified on the Wiccan interaction. It would be great if he could clarify on the other interactions discussed here too.
  • Options
    sheryf said:

So the interaction between Wiccan and these champs is working correctly. Some folks in here were correct in their explanations, but I just wanted to clarify things. Red Guardian and Spidey 2099's Buff immunity only comes into play when an attempt to apply a Buff would otherwise succeed, at which point the immunity prevents the Buff. But Neutralize prevents the attempt from working in the first place, so there's nothing for the Buff immunity to prevent by the time it could trigger.

Wiccan applies an Incinerate when an "opponent's ability fails due to reduced Ability Accuracy". Since Neutralize reduces ability accuracy and causes the ability (Dex) to fail before the immunity can trigger, the Incinerate is applied. Hope that helps to clarify this interaction a bit.

There is nothing to clarify, reg guardian and spidey 2099 are made to deal with annoying mystics. Just change order of events, immunity should prevent buff very first. Every immunity should work like that.
    If you change how the game processes ability accuracy and immunity, you will break every champ that has an ability that says something like "if an immunity prevents an effect, gain X benefit." Because immunity will no longer be blocking any effects. Instead, the effects will simply not fire if immunity is present.

And no, we can't count that as "prevented by immunity." If the game simply decides not to even check ability accuracy when immunity is present, and you count that as immunity prevention, then that would mean when something with a 5% chance to proc a bleed attacks Colossus, Colossus will gain armor on *every* attack, because we have no idea whether that attack would have proced a bleed or not. We never checked. So Colossus gets the benefit every attack, or never.

The order of operation is not arbitrary. We check to see if the effect materializes first, then check if immunity protects the target, because if we do it the other way, all failures get credited to immunity, whether the effect was even supposed to happen or not. But that's not what immunity is supposed to do, and counting it that way breaks other things elsewhere in a way practically impossible to fix without extremely fragile and complex mechanical exception rules.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

There is no need to understand the technical implementation... the plain text of the descriptions, absent any other knowledge, is enough to resolve this issue...

You're welcome to the perspective that the text is nice and clear. But (and I'd like to be clear: I say this with every respect for the voice of reason and experience that you bring to the forums), is it not possible that the sheer extent of your gaming experience and your professional understanding of game design gives you a significantly biased perspective in this area?

We're on page three of this discussion. I would humbly suggest that the preceding 40 or 50 comments by fairly experienced players suggests that this interaction with Neutralise is not clear, and is going to be misunderstood by the vast majority of players who try to deal with opponents like Wiccan and Rintrah.
    Very few experienced players are arguing mechanics. They are arguing intent. They want it work in a particular way, because they believe their interpretation of global intent should override mechanics. But I don't see experienced veteran players actually confused.

These things are not in dispute.

1. When the player has the Dexterity mastery, all of their champs possess an ability that will trigger a buff when dexterity itself is triggered.

2. Champs like SM2099 are immune to buffs that are attempted to be placed upon them.

3. Wiccan punishes attempts to place buffs that fail (due to AAR).

What people are arguing is yes, that happens, but it *shouldn't* happen because I'm supposed to be able to stomp on mystic champs with SM2099. Or they are arguing the slightly more technical "neutralize shouldn't cause buffs to fail that wouldn't have worked in the first place." But that's not confusion. That's arguing the mechanics aren't going my way.
  • Options

DenRod said:

DNA3000 said:

I mean, when you try and reduce mysterio’s with a concussion ability accuracy it says immune. I think it’s just a case of the descriptions not being clear and in reality he is actually just immune to AAR.

The way that fits into my theory is that “ability accuracy cannot be decreased” is referring to what I think is stat 1, or base ability accuracy. So that aspect cannot be decreased, but his buff ability accuracy can be decreased. Because ability accuracy is not the same as buff ability accuracy.

That makes zero sense. How can Kabam hope to explain that “ability accuracy is not the same as buff ability accuracy”? Do we a different layer of functionality in every ability accuracy for each game interaction? What about debuff ability accuracy? Passive ability accuracy? Contact ability accuracy? Which one can’t ever be decreased in Mysterio’s case?
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Either that, or make all abilities that confer ability accuracy modification immunity affect all such modifications. Although I suspect that can't happen for technical reasons (it may prevent them from making special content that bypasses normal immunities for specific design reasons if they eliminate all escape hatches from any ability that says "this always happens with no exceptions ever.")
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Either that, or make all abilities that confer ability accuracy modification immunity affect all such modifications. Although I suspect that can't happen for technical reasons (it may prevent them from making special content that bypasses normal immunities for specific design reasons if they eliminate all escape hatches from any ability that says "this always happens with no exceptions ever.")
    Unless it’s written “immune” in a champion’s info page, the ability in question shouldn’t function the way you are describing immunity should. As I wrote twice already, Mysterio’s ability is not an immunity, instead his ability accuracy cannot be decreased. Period.
  • Options
    DenRod said:

DenRod said:

DNA3000 said:

That makes zero sense. How can Kabam hope to explain that “ability accuracy is not the same as buff ability accuracy”? Do we a different layer of functionality in every ability accuracy for each game interaction? What about debuff ability accuracy? Passive ability accuracy? Contact ability accuracy? Which one can’t ever be decreased in Mysterio’s case?
    Makes perfect sense in my view. How can Kabam hope to explain that ability accuracy is not the same as buff ability accuracy? I mean, you just did it right there. It's a pretty simple concept. If you can point to any such thing as debuff ability accuracy, passive, contact etc, then I'll address them. Until then, they clearly don't exist.

Again, if you want Mysterio to be immune to buff ability accuracy reduction you have to accept that Apoc will no longer be able to stop Immune to AAR champions shrug off, Tigra will no longer be able to work on Force of Will, Rintrah, Wiccan and everyone else in future with neutralise will no longer be able to work in all these places. Is that worth ripping up how the game works? Is that a pro player move?

Or is it not easier to just accept that there are several different stats, Base Ability Accuracy, Buff ability accuracy and shrug off ability accuracy, and that some champions affect one of them, some affect all of them and some are immune to one of them.