Options

WAR MATCHMAKING BROKEN

SupremeWarlordSupremeWarlord Posts: 293
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
It boggles the mind that after so many years of this game being out War matchmaking is still broken. My alliance has 10 members with base hero ratings around 100k, for a total base hero rating of around 1 million. We are casual players. The alliance we are currently facing in War is 16 million with several players over 1 million, and all maxed out 5 star champions on defense.
How is it possible that we constantly get matched up against alliances that are 16 TIMES STRONGER!!! Please explain how your matchmaking system works and how you think this is fair. Why do I spend so much time placing and moving defenders if it doesn't even matter because my opponents are going to one-shot every defender, while I try to face a 15k maxed out KORG, because matchmaking is trash?!
You (KABAM) never have fixed the core issues affecting this game. It's no wonder your player base is shrinking, longtime players are quitting, and you guys are constantly sending out surveys asking "do you think you will be playing MCOC a month from now?" Take away the MARVEL name and the characters and at its core this game is trash. Broken. IDK why I play. I really don't.
Cue the trolls:
Post edited by Kabam Zanzibar on

Comments

• Options
    Okay, so explain to me HOW it does make matches and how you figure that's fair.
  • Options
    This is what is wrong with the world. No matter how bad a system is, some people will still benefit from it, and those people think nothing is wrong, or pretend nothing is wrong. People are either unwilling or unable to see things from another person's perspective.
    You 2 trolls who commented can sit here and pretend nothing is wrong, that's fine.
    So it goes by your war rating, not the strength of your team. Okay. So that's like putting a peewee baseball team against an MLB team because they have similar records in their leagues. It's stupid AF. No logic whatsoever, I don't care how you try to justify it. I guess it's simply the best Kabam can do with matchmaking, which is not very good. It is broken. It's broken by design.
  • Options

After all these years and people don't understand you're matched on war rating, not size of alliance.

I understand perfectly, and I also understand that this is not the way it should be, which you fail to understand.
  • Options

It’s not broken, it literally does not make matches based on anything you mentioned.

Right. And that's why it is "broken". It was designed broken.
  • Options
    I'm sure everybody disagreeing with me are on the opposite side of the situation, in 16 mill Allis getting matched up against 1 mill Allis. Yeah, I'm sure you think matchmaking works great. For every alliance getting screwed there's another one making out like bandits and thinking everything works great, LMAO.
  • Options
    Sorry, I guess my post title should have been "WAR MATCHMAKING POORLY DESIGNED".
  • Options
    I could deal with facing an alliance twice as strong as mine. Three times as strong, hell, even 4 times as strong, but 16 TIMES?!?!! Come on, let's be reasonable. If there's not a matchup with a similar war rating and similar alliance rating I'd rather just be left out of that matchmaking process and hope for a better matchup in the next one.
  • Options

After all these years and people don't understand you're matched on war rating, not size of alliance.

I understand perfectly, and I also understand that this is not the way it should be, which you fail to understand.
    You not liking the way something else doesn't mean it shouldn't be that way. It's very clear you don't understand how matchmaking works. I'll explain it best how I understand it.
    1. Matching looks at alliances with similar to exact war ratings within their current standing (Gold 1 to Gold 1).
    2. If Matching cannot find a match within your current standing, it expands to either above or below your standing to the closes alliance to your war rating.
    3. Matching takes into consideration of- War Rating and quantity of BG's being played. You cannot get matched with an alliance running 3 BG's if you are only running 1.
    4. Matching also flips a coin for map difficulty when that difficulty is split between the 2 matched alliances. You may end up with Tier 2 nodes and map even if you're Tier 3 if you matched with an opponent that's in Tier 2.
    5. Matching doesn't care about how big or little your alliance is nor does it care about your opponents' alliance size.

AW is a competition and sometimes you'll face harder opponents. If you are playing relaxed wars anyway, none of this should really matter as it's likely that your opponent ( From your description) is also not taking AW seriously. They may be 16mil but if they're only running 1 BG, you're not facing 30 vs 10. It's 10 vs 10. This is a primary factor in why alliance size doesn't matter, especially in a situation like yours.

Matchmaking isn't broken and is doing exactly what it's set up to do. Look for matches that have similar war ratings and BG participation. If you want it to go off of alliance size, you'll never be able to move up nor face proper competition. You also run the risk of not finding matches. There's too many variables with alliance PI because that number can be greatly inflated due to roster progression.

For example, I have a PI of 3.1 million with a prestige of 15.5. I am Paragon with 7 R4's. My current alliance leader has a PI of 3.3 million and a prestige of 14.5 and they have 3 R4's. His PI is greater than mine because they have more ranked of champs than me as I have very few max 2-4*'s. All of that plays into player PI. So that 16 million may not be that big of a deal vs your 10 million.
    TLDR
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,069 ★★★★★

You not liking the way something else doesn't mean it shouldn't be that way. It's very clear you don't understand how matchmaking works. I'll explain it best how I understand it.
    1. Matching looks at alliances with similar to exact war ratings within their current standing (Gold 1 to Gold 1).
    2. If Matching cannot find a match within your current standing, it expands to either above or below your standing to the closes alliance to your war rating.
    3. Matching takes into consideration of- War Rating and quantity of BG's being played. You cannot get matched with an alliance running 3 BG's if you are only running 1.
    4. Matching also flips a coin for map difficulty when that difficulty is split between the 2 matched alliances. You may end up with Tier 2 nodes and map even if you're Tier 3 if you matched with an opponent that's in Tier 2.
    5. Matching doesn't care about how big or little your alliance is nor does it care about your opponents' alliance size.

AW is a competition and sometimes you'll face harder opponents. If you are playing relaxed wars anyway, none of this should really matter as it's likely that your opponent ( From your description) is also not taking AW seriously. They may be 16mil but if they're only running 1 BG, you're not facing 30 vs 10. It's 10 vs 10. This is a primary factor in why alliance size doesn't matter, especially in a situation like yours.

Matchmaking isn't broken and is doing exactly what it's set up to do. Look for matches that have similar war ratings and BG participation. If you want it to go off of alliance size, you'll never be able to move up nor face proper competition. You also run the risk of not finding matches. There's too many variables with alliance PI because that number can be greatly inflated due to roster progression.

For example, I have a PI of 3.1 million with a prestige of 15.5. I am Paragon with 7 R4's. My current alliance leader has a PI of 3.3 million and a prestige of 14.5 and they have 3 R4's. His PI is greater than mine because they have more ranked of champs than me as I have very few max 2-4*'s. All of that plays into player PI. So that 16 million may not be that big of a deal vs your 10 million.
    TLDR
    Matchmaking is off War Rating.
  • Options
    Demonzfyre, thanks for the comment, you do make some valid points, but, tell me where else in the world it's considered fair or logical to match up anyone or anything with something 16 times stronger. I'll wait.
  • Options
    In my experience the vast majority of people who comment on posts in forums are trolls with nothing valid to say who just want attention or to be contrarian. Based on your additional comments I take back my troll comment, you actually have valid points, but I still disagree with the way matchmaking is designed.
  • Options
    LOL, I don't think that example counts. Pretty funny though.
  • Options

In my experience the vast majority of people who comment on posts in forums are trolls with nothing valid to say who just want attention or to be contrarian. Based on your additional comments I take back my troll comment, you actually have valid points, but I still disagree with the way matchmaking is designed.

If that's how you categorize being a troll, you'd be referring to yourself.
  • Options
    You see? Just when I thought we were starting to have a productive conversation you have to go and let the troll start coming out.
  • Options
    I just want to be in a matchup where I actually have a chance, that's all. I know, "get good", right? Tell me something arrogant that a paragon would say.
  • Options

You see? Just when I thought we were starting to have a productive conversation you have to go and let the troll start coming out.

No, I'm simply pointing out the flaw in what you consider a troll. Your post is extremely contrarian and screams "pay attention to me" with the all caps as the title and it being misleading as well. There's something to be said about how valid your first post was as well in that it's just complaining followed by more comments calling others trolls because they didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.
  • Options
    If it was contrarian I would be contradicting someone, and the nature of posting in forums requires people to "look at me". I'm not posting to seek attention. Attention from who, you? I'm voicing my opinion to kabam. Any valid constructive comments are welcome. Telling me that matchmaking is working as designed isn't constructive or helpful at all. I know it's working as designed. It's a poor design. I'm sorry my title was "misleading" and that as a result of that you feel like attacking me personally. But, I know what to expect when I come here. I called you a troll because you made a troll comment. Then you made a semi-valid point. Then you went right back to being a troll.
  • Options

If it was contrarian I would be contradicting someone, and the nature of posting in forums requires people to "look at me". I'm not posting to seek attention. Attention from who, you? I'm voicing my opinion to kabam. Any valid constructive comments are welcome. Telling me that matchmaking is working as designed isn't constructive or helpful at all. I know it's working as designed. It's a poor design. I'm sorry my title was "misleading" and that as a result of that you feel like attacking me personally. But, I know what to expect when I come here. I called you a troll because you made a troll comment. Then you made a semi-valid point. Then you went right back to being a troll.

MMMMK
  • Options
    Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    If you want to know why it doesn’t factor in alliance size, it’s because they did something similar at one point and it was absolutely busted with weak alliances getting top 10 (might even have been 1st but I can’t remember exactly) in the world because they weren’t matching with any of the other top 10 alliances.
    That was far more unfair because the number 1 alliance should be capable of beating numbers 2-10, which they weren’t.
  • Options
    Matchmaking is based purely on war rating. This prevents alliances with lower ratings from avoiding matching with big alliances and getting the same rewards.

Last year, possibly the year before by now, there was essentially two war seasons running parallel to each other when matchmaking took size and prestige into account. You had relatively small alliances ~10k prestige, competing in masters only playing similar alliances, while the likes of KenoB played each other. This came to a head when a small alliance won the season and didn’t actually play any other masters alliances all season so war rating became the only metric that counted.

If you look at the leaderboard there’s a lot of enormous whale alliances in P1/masters and there’s also a lot of relatively small or at least, ‘normal’ sized alliances competing at the same level now which is fair.

Lower down the table this results in matchups that feel horribly one sided but ultimately it’s fair. That’s how Brentford are in the prem this season and beat Utd 4-0. Ronaldo’s pay alone is more than Brentford’s entire wage bill.
  • Options
    Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★

It boggles the mind that after so many years of this game being out War matchmaking is still broken. My alliance has 10 members with base hero ratings around 100k, for a total base hero rating of around 1 million. We are casual players. The alliance we are currently facing in War is 16 million with several players over 1 million, and all maxed out 5 star champions on defense.
    How is it possible that we constantly get matched up against alliances that are 16 TIMES STRONGER!!! Please explain how your matchmaking system works and how you think this is fair. Why do I spend so much time placing and moving defenders if it doesn't even matter because my opponents are going to one-shot every defender, while I try to face a 15k maxed out KORG, because matchmaking is trash?!
    You (KABAM) never have fixed the core issues affecting this game. It's no wonder your player base is shrinking, longtime players are quitting, and you guys are constantly sending out surveys asking "do you think you will be playing MCOC a month from now?" Take away the MARVEL name and the characters and at its core this game is trash. Broken. IDK why I play. I really don't.
    Cue the trolls:

If u were that casual u would not be debating soo long in here