**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Reverse engineering MCOC

Anyone watched the vid from Blizzard on how easy it is to modify this game?
@DNA3000 curious if you think it's legit

Comments

• Options
    StorminhuStorminhu Posts: 19
  • Options
    Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 936 ★★★★★
    Obviously modding is absolutely abhorrent and everyone doing it should be permanently banned. Watching the video, it’s doesn’t look exactly that difficult to do. I really hope this video is either massively oversimplifying how easy it is, or pushes Kabam to put even more resources into protecting the game.
  • Options
    StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    No wonder why there are so many cheater on MCOC if that easy to reverse engineer and modify the game.
    There are probably cheaters around who found a way to modify the code without being detected by Kabam...
  • Options
    Storminhu said:

Anyone watched the vid from Blizzard on how easy it is to modify this game?
    @DNA3000 curious if you think it's legit

I haven’t watched all of Blizzard25’s RE streams in full, but it looks pretty reasonable to me. As in reasonably likely to be accurately executed technique, not reasonable to perform.

I should point out that while it is much more straight forward to unpack games like MCOC that use frameworks like Unity without obfuscation, back in the day we people used to do this all the time with games that did not use standardized frameworks. The fact that MCOC doesn’t employ resource countermeasures wouldn’t have a significant impact on determined modders. In fact, most modding does not attempt to reverse engineer the games they target. That’s overkill. I haven’t been in the scene for over a decade now, but the state of the art back then was memory scanning not resource decompiling. Unless there was a nuclear war that wiped out all of civilization recently and destroyed those techniques and I just didn’t notice, hardening MCOC against resource decompiling wouldn’t stop modding.

If I was determined to hack the game, there's four specific techniques I would try to both succeed and evade detection. None of them involve specifically doing what Blizzard25 is apparently attempting to demonstrate. None of which I would describe publicly either. Conversely, if someone were to try to deconstruct the game's resources and replace them with altered versions, I can think of a couple ways to detect that and ban them into the next century. Kabam could attempt to harden their game code, or they could invest in better detection of this specific kind of alterations, which would probably be much easier.