**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Explain relics to me please

has anyone actually noticed a significant change that the relics add? personally i haven’t really noticed anything, it’s nice extending a combo from time to time but other than that they seem pretty useless. for the few people that enjoy relics can you explain to me why i should even care to seek out more relics/relic dupes and rank them up? bc from what i’ve seen in the forum, and even mcoc youtubers, majority of people just ask “why relics?” granted i don’t look at the forum that consistently, i just have yet to see someone in other relic threads or even make a post about why people should even care about them

Comments

• ThēMandalorianThēMandalorian Posts: 288 ★★★
    edited January 2023
    Two-fold:

One is that they are something you can acquire, rank and pull just like champions with a different "crystal" and materials. Right now, the only Relics obtainable are "Strikers" which allow you to use that Champion you bound your Relic to during certain content it is allowed to "tag in" the Relic Champ for a quick "special" to add to your combo or before a special attack.
    There are different stars of Relics from 3-star up to 6-star.

Two is that it affects your overall Prestige based on your Top 5 Relics and their rank/awakened ability regardless of who you have bound them to as a champion relic.

I hope that covers it mostly in the most basic of ways.
  • SkunkcabbageSkunkcabbage Posts: 204 ★★
    hburns03 said:

has anyone actually noticed a significant change that the relics add? personally i haven’t really noticed anything, it’s nice extending a combo from time to time but other than that they seem pretty useless. for the few people that enjoy relics can you explain to me why i should even care to seek out more relics/relic dupes and rank them up? bc from what i’ve seen in the forum, and even mcoc youtubers, majority of people just ask “why relics?” granted i don’t look at the forum that consistently, i just have yet to see someone in other relic threads or even make a post about why people should even care about them

You add them to your champs and then use embers on the Relics and then use alloys on the Relics to make them add on extra sockets and they have some inherent ability or something that you get when you dupe them. They are for endgamers battling for top prestige I believe.

I hope this helps, I've tried to explain as much as I've gathered about them. I don't have any equipped personally because I prefer my champs without.
  • FeuerschwerFeuerschwer Posts: 311 ★★
    The rune sockets give small boosts to specific stats or abilities; for example the hulk relic can reduce enemy physical resistance. Low rarities especially the bonus is not huge, but it can up your damage a bit if you put it on the right champ. IMO the runes are more meaningful than the striker effect, value of the sig ability depends on who it is.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    hburns03 said:

As they are meant to be a nice add on that isn't game breaking or required, there's no way to convince people they should care about them any more than they should care about collecting champs.

They offer striker attacks which can be useful, and they offer small benefits comparable to mastery benefits that presumably get stronger when you rank them up, but are pretty small at their base levels. They are also another thing to collect, for players who like collecting things. Beyond that, they matter only if you want them to matter.
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,587 ★★★★
    Relics aren't worth investing in. They were overhyped, and the uselessness of something Kabam proclaimed as "The biggest change we made to the game since its launch" is absolutely ridiculous. Sure, they offer buffs and other such things, but Masteries are a much more worthwhile investment, and a better alternative. In my opinion, Relics don't bring much to the game at all, which is pretty much a general consensus among MCOC players. Kabam needs to rethink the concept of relics, or improve the upgrades relics give. An idea I have is to give relics their own unique buffs no other champion or relic has access to. This way it would give players incentive to hunt for a specific relic, like hunting for a specific champion. Just an idea though!
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

Relics aren't worth investing in. They were overhyped, and the uselessness of something Kabam proclaimed as "The biggest change we made to the game since its launch" is absolutely ridiculous. Sure, they offer buffs and other such things, but Masteries are a much more worthwhile investment, and a better alternative. In my opinion, Relics don't bring much to the game at all, which is pretty much a general consensus among MCOC players. Kabam needs to rethink the concept of relics, or improve the upgrades relics give. An idea I have is to give relics their own unique buffs no other champion or relic has access to. This way it would give players incentive to hunt for a specific relic, like hunting for a specific champion. Just an idea though!

It remains to be seen whether or not they will be useful. As to whether they are worth investing in, I am not buying those stupid crystals but I'm at a point where prestige matters so I can't ignore them.
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,587 ★★★★

It remains to be seen whether or not they will be useful. As to whether they are worth investing in, I am not buying those stupid crystals but I'm at a point where prestige matters so I can't ignore them.
    This is also an infuriating thing about relics. You need to use valuable resources like Gold to rank up these things, while they bring absolutely nothing to the table. Relics decrease your prestige, making it necessary to rank up an absolutely useless addition to the game.
  • GrimXYZGrimXYZ Posts: 100
    For me apart from a few selected ones, they are not very useful...the striker part for me is almost useless. In most fights you can trigger striker once, if even that. Even in ROL level fights, I can only trigger striker twice before the fight is over. The effects from runes are so small that it is almost not noticeable.

There are some crazy ones though, if the effects can accumulate. Like pairing jugg relic with jugg, or black panther relic with hit monkey or shang chi.