**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Battleground updates - a huge swing and a miss

I know your not going to please everyone but to me this update seems absolute nonsense.

Yay get more medals for each win, but make you need more medals to progress up a tier seems counter intuitive.

I understand only losing one medal and then winning 2 leaves you in a better position, but surely if you TRULY want people to feel like they have had their time valued, then you would have left the progression level the same.

Just take the mode down. FIX IT. Put a login calendar with compensatory trophy tokens and relic shards so people don't lose out on progression and rewards while its being fixed and then bring it back.

At face value, this seems so easy to implement, and then you will have greater engagement upon its return.

Don't botch this Kabam. Please.

Comments

• Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★

It's an improvement. I don't give them much credit for it as we've been asking for it for like 5 seasons now, but at least they're listening a bit.

No mention of matchmaking, which is the worst thing about BGs anyway so until that changes I won't be happy.

At least now Paragon accounts can climb to Diamond easier, and match all competitors there, since at Diamond tiers Prestige matchmaking seems to be more loose from last season.
    It would be nice though, if any moderator confirms that late VT more loose matchmaking will remain for next seasons.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 7,006 Guardian
    Greekhit said:

It's an improvement. I don't give them much credit for it as we've been asking for it for like 5 seasons now, but at least they're listening a bit.

No mention of matchmaking, which is the worst thing about BGs anyway so until that changes I won't be happy.

At least now Paragon accounts can climb to Diamond easier, and match all competitors there, since at Diamond tiers Prestige matchmaking seems to be more loose from last season.
    It would be nice though, if any moderator confirms that late VT more loose matchmaking will remain for next seasons.
    From what I've heard and seen, there is no roster matchmaking parameters in diamond. You literally just match whoever is available.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
    Greekhit said:

True. It just sucks that the past season felt like a 'deal with this broken game mode' from kabam.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 64
    How can Paragon accounts climb to Diamond easier though?
  • Options
    BeastDadBeastDad Posts: 1,571 ★★★★★
    I just want the bugs gone, or at the very least mostly gone.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 64
    edited May 2023
    I read your post before I posted DNA, and it's incredible work. Truly.
    I suck at Battlegrounds. I'm absolutely awful. In most seasons I can't get out of Bronze (Paragon player, multiple Rank 4s, R5 and 7*s). Before this buggy season, if I analyse my previous 15 matches against these new conditions, I still don't get out of Bronze.
    I accept that this is because I'm not hitting a 50% win rate, but why is 50% the accepted standard. Is this an arbitrary number based oh you win some you lose some?
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,443 ★★★★★
    Hyperion said:

I suck at Battlegrounds. I'm absolutely awful. In most seasons I can't get out of Bronze (Paragon player, multiple Rank 4s, R5 and 7*s). Before this buggy season, if I analyse my previous 15 matches against these new conditions, I still don't get out of Bronze.
    I accept that this is because I'm not hitting a 50% win rate, but why is 50% the accepted standard. Is this an arbitrary number based oh you win some you lose some?

So why is it a swing and miss on Kabams part if you're here admitting you struggle to win matches?
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,375 ★★★★★
    Hyperion said:

I know your not going to please everyone but to me this update seems absolute nonsense.

Yay get more medals for each win, but make you need more medals to progress up a tier seems counter intuitive.

I understand only losing one medal and then winning 2 leaves you in a better position, but surely if you TRULY want people to feel like they have had their time valued, then you would have left the progression level the same.

Just take the mode down. FIX IT. Put a login calendar with compensatory trophy tokens and relic shards so people don't lose out on progression and rewards while its being fixed and then bring it back.

At face value, this seems so easy to implement, and then you will have greater engagement upon its return.

Don't botch this Kabam. Please.

I'm not sure I follow. You gain 2 per Win, up to Diamond. 2 consecutive Wins will advance you until Gold 3, at which time you'll need 3. Even with a Loss, you'll still advance in 3 Wins. Diamond changes because you get one, but it's also the last stages until the GC. I have no idea how this is a bad thing for people playing competitively.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,989 Guardian
    Hyperion said:

The idea is that in a perfect world, where all the players were sorted perfectly in order of their fighting strength, and then matched against other according to their strength, every player would be getting matched against another player of comparable strength and thus would have about a 50% chance of winning their matches. In other words, if we could somehow have every player play an unlimited number of BG matches, then over time eventually everyone would gravitate to a situation where they were winning about half the time. 50% win percentage is the "steady state" situation in an idealized perfectly fair competition.

Now let's say we were to introduce a new player into this group of competitors. Say we start him or her at the bottom. Initially, he will be winning more than he is losing, because we are matching him against the weakest players. And so he would rise higher in the rankings, and match against stronger and stronger opponents. Eventually, he will rise to a point where he was exactly as strong as his competition, and be winning 50% of his matches. As a result, he would be winning as often as losing, and in the long run he would stay where he was in the rankings.

50/50 is the point where you are equal with your competition. In an idealized competition, everyone should eventually reach a point where they rise or fall to the level of their strength and be fighting against equals, and reach this 50% win percentage.

The Victory track is not intended to be a perfectly idealized competition, however. The idea is the VT should balance participation and competition, because the VT exists to promote participation in the mode. GC is purely competitive with no real participation rewards: its all ranked rewards. So the VT should start rewarding participation more than competition, and slowly shift to rewarding competition over participation as you get closer to GC (so there isn't an abrupt change in behavior). So for a player who wins about 50% of their matches, they should promote quickly through VT, then more slowly, then finally arrive at GC where a 50% win rate basically gets you nowhere.

50% is not so much a "standard" as it is a point of reference. In an idealized competition, we know what is supposed to happen to someone who wins half the time. They don't go up, they don't go down. Where ever they are, they are where they are supposed to be. Kabam uses this to tune the behavior of BG to what they want, relative to this behavior. This is a standard game theory technique.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,989 Guardian
    Hyperion said:

Also, you posted an hour before me. Dammit do I need to add another layer of tin foil?